Home

Buffalo Native Interested in Buying Bills?

This is a discussion on Buffalo Native Interested in Buying Bills? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Buffalo Native Interested in Buying Bills?

Quote:
Yeah I dunno, you'd think a Miami fan would want to keep their historic rivalry alive. Such a weird opinion
Rivalries are meaningless if they prevent your team from actually winning! Since the NFL pushed the start of the regular season back in the early 90s, the Fins havent made a single AFC title game. Is it the only reason? No, but it definately contributes. A team playing in South Florida having to travel to two of the coldest cities in the NFL every year? Completely without logic.

I guarantee you....guarantee....that if the Fins played in a division with Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Atlanta they would (long term) win many more games and divisional titles than in the current AFC East. They are simply in a geographically unfair situation.

Back when they were a powerhouse in the 70s, the regular season ended a few weeks after Thanksgiving. Now its basically three weeks later.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
Rivalries are meaningless if they prevent your team from actually winning! Since the NFL pushed the start of the regular season back in the early 90s, the Fins havent made a single AFC title game. Is it the only reason? No, but it definately contributes. A team playing in South Florida having to travel to two of the coldest cities in the NFL every year? Completely without logic.

I guarantee you....guarantee....that if the Fins played in a division with Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and Atlanta they would (long term) win many more games and divisional titles than in the current AFC East. They are simply in a geographically unfair situation.

Back when they were a powerhouse in the 70s, the regular season ended a few weeks after Thanksgiving. Now its basically three weeks later.
I think it's just the AFC East. The New England Patriots have been dominant for a decade now, the Jets have made the playoffs a few times during that span, and the Bills have been just average over that span (with a few woeful seasons thrown in for good measure). Of course playing in a division with TB, JAC, and ATL would help; none of those teams is good year in and year out, though all have had their highs.

Plus, what are the numbers on the Dolphins home/road splits in the last 3 weeks of the season. If they're away for 2 of the 3 every single year, I can see your point. But there has to be seasons where they're home 2 of those final 3 weeks. And plus... weather is part of the game! You guys are conditioned to the heat, other teams are conditioned to the cold. I say suck it up! I love the dynamic of the dome teams going outdoors, Miami coming to Buffalo, etc. Maybe it's not all fair and balanced, but when those respective teams win it all, I don't hear anyone complaining. It's only an issue when there's no other explanation for why a team lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Rivalries are meaningless if they prevent your team from actually winning! Since the NFL pushed the start of the regular season back in the early 90s, the Fins havent made a single AFC title game.
I guess my copy of the '92 AFC Title game sitting on my desk next to the TV came from the Twilight Zone...Oh and Miami would've made it to the AFC Title Game in '94 if they didn't get stunned by San Diego. Really the "pushing the season back" thing is a poor excuse.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #12
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
I guess my copy of the '92 AFC Title game sitting on my desk next to the TV came from the Twilight Zone...Oh and Miami would've made it to the AFC Title Game in '94 if they didn't get stunned by San Diego. Really the "pushing the season back" thing is a poor excuse.
If you'll remember, the Fins badly struggled to beat a terrible New England team in the final week of the regular season that year. Had they lost, they wouldnt have won the division title via tiebreaker with the Bills, and would have gone on the road (almost certainly to a cold weather team) in the first round.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
If you'll remember, the Fins badly struggled to beat a terrible New England team in the final week of the regular season that year. Had they lost, they wouldnt have won the division title via tiebreaker with the Bills, and would have gone on the road (almost certainly to a cold weather team) in the first round.
Good point but still it's a lame excuse when you consider that San Diego (another warm weather city) has had plenty of success in the last 10+ years.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:

I've actually never heard of this theory. I guess it is cool if you think that, but it seems harebrained to me.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 06-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Good point but still it's a lame excuse when you consider that San Diego (another warm weather city) has had plenty of success in the last 10+ years.
I would agree that SD is in the 2nd most geographically troublesome situation in the league, and that both Denver and KC can get cold in December and January. If you look at the schedules of the past decade or so though, for whatever reason, the Chargers play @ Den and KC earlier in the year much more often than Miami plays @ Buf and NE. The Fins almost never play the Pats in New England before mid October. Its something thats knawed at me for years. Over time, with four months in the NFL regular season, you would think that games played at divisional rivals would pretty much even out over the calendar. Miami @ NE though is weighted very heaily on the cold end. If Im not mistaken, the Fins have played @ the Pats in September twice in the last 20 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »