Home

I say the Colts should let Manning go

This is a discussion on I say the Colts should let Manning go within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #41
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: I say the Colts should let Manning go

Its a a no brainer that the Colts should keep Peyton. From a business stand point the sheer amount of money Manning Generates for the Colts year after year is amazing. People from all over the country come to see this guy play football. He is always near the top in Jersey sales and he guarantees you a spot in the playoffs (at least for now).

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #42
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Holding off the inevitable because right now, they really don't scare anybody in the league and that's even with Peyton at QB.

Take that $25 Mil a year he wants and invest it somewhere else, mainly on the Defense where it's been nothing but average and that's putting it nicely. But either way, they're not winning a Super Bowl no time soon so why not let him walk?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #43
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Holding off the inevitable because right now, they really don't scare anybody in the league and that's even with Peyton at QB.

Take that $25 Mil a year he wants and invest it somewhere else, mainly on the Defense where it's been nothing but average and that's putting it nicely. But either way, they're not winning a Super Bowl no time soon so why not let him walk?
This.

They should have drafted a project QB in the later rounds and signed him for next to nothing a few years ago.

Giving Manning the money that many may feel he's worth would only cripples your team. If the choice is between letting him go or giving him an insane amount of money I say let him go.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #44
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

The money isn't the issue (imo), it's the years. The Colts are still one of the best teams in the league and still a contender for the SB... period. All of that is bc of Manning. Even with the injuries, the guy has yet to miss games bc of it so this thought is VERY premature. However, neck injuries aren't anything to play with and should put the idea of him being the man in 5 years in serious question. The money over that timeframe would cripple the team as the OP envisions, but that's where I think they need to focus. Letting him go should only be even a blip on the radar if he stands firm on the number of years. And even then, I still say sign him and then work on trading him in a couple of years.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #45
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44

I haven't even read 90% of the posts in this thread...mostly just the title but this is what's priceless about OS: The Overreaction.

Do people not understand that the NFL is a money making business first and foremost. The amount of revenue just having the name Peyton Manning on the Colts brings in $10's of millions of dollars. The PR hit the Colts would take in getting rid of Manning would be catastrophic.

I won't even get started on the replacement talk or the fact that he's still one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #46
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

If I have to take a hit in the short term to make sure my team can have long term success post-Peyton, then that's a risk I'm willing to take.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM   #47
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
This is a terrible idea. Win while you can, and a smart front office will prepare accordingly when necessary.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #48
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
The money isn't the issue (imo), it's the years. The Colts are still one of the best teams in the league and still a contender for the SB... period. All of that is bc of Manning. Even with the injuries, the guy has yet to miss games bc of it so this thought is VERY premature. However, neck injuries aren't anything to play with and should put the idea of him being the man in 5 years in serious question. The money over that timeframe would cripple the team as the OP envisions, but that's where I think they need to focus. Letting him go should only be even a blip on the radar if he stands firm on the number of years. And even then, I still say sign him and then work on trading him in a couple of years.
If the deal is too outrageous then they may find there are no suitors. If Manning falls apart while under contract the Colts will be in trouble for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTop
I haven't even read 90% of the posts in this thread...mostly just the title but this is what's priceless about OS: The Overreaction.

Do people not understand that the NFL is a money making business first and foremost. The amount of revenue just having the name Peyton Manning on the Colts brings in $10's of millions of dollars. The PR hit the Colts would take in getting rid of Manning would be catastrophic.

I won't even get started on the replacement talk or the fact that he's still one of the top 5 QB's in the NFL.
Yeah today Manning is a cash cow. The concern is what if he never the same after this neck injury. He just lays an egg this year and they go 7-9 or 6-10. I guarentee the earning power will be gone. So now Manning has this gross contract, and a quarter the earning power. The fact that he would take up so much of the cap that allow will decrease the overall talent level of the team.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.

Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-27-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »