Home

Randy Moss Retires

This is a discussion on Randy Moss Retires within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Randy Moss Retires

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'll quote you, lol. It was pretty widely reported before he announced his retirement and even in pretty much all discussions when he did. The idea that he didn't have good work ethic is out of left field in general. He would've broke down long ago if he didn't, and everyone always knew about his training with Chris Carter. On the field, the only real criticism I see is him not giving 100% when he didn't like the situation he was in (and I'm not talking about his comment of not going 100% on every play... that's just a mistake of being brutally honest). His time in Oakland was mostly a joke, and I think his time after NE last year was an ugly reminder of how much of a pouter he can be. But I have no doubt he can still ball, and as a #2 on pretty much any contending team, would make their passing game better. I think the problem is teams don't know if they can trust the effort he will give.
Exactly. How people can question his work ethic is beyond me.

What is it, I wonder, that makes people think they know so damn much about a person when they have never met or spent any time with them. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face - some of the comments here piss me off. Not because I'm a Moss fan, but because guys are so quick to believe everything that the media reports about a person. It's actually kind of scary when you think about it.

Moss screwed up during his career, but who hasn't? He walked off the field with time on the clock, he made some off hand comments to the media... He admitted to taking plays "off" or not going 100 percent, but me personally, I find that honesty refreshing. I am sure the people who blasted him for those comments are all the perfect employees and always bring their maximum effort forward. Right?

It's like some expect athletes to be perfect. People don't want them to be imperfect because they live vicariously through them. What other explanation can be put out there?

The work ethic thing baffles me... We all know he worked out with Cris Carter. Moss was perhaps one of the most talented wide receivers we've ever seen, but he had a great career because he coupled his talent with a good work ethic. We've seen over and over athletes who were on another planet talent-wise fizzle out and do nothing. I don't care how much talent you have - if you've ever played sports, you know that if you don't work hard, that athletic ability will only take you so far.

Some of the earlier comments in this thread were ignorant at best, and hugely judgmental at worst.

"He could have been so much better..."

Maybe, maybe not. Best wide receiver I've seen in my 30 years, though.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Let me clarify my comments a little better then:

1. He's no longer a threat like he used to be without Brady throwing him bombs anymore. Yeah I said it. Never said he was some bum or trash like others may be insinuating. I mean yeah he can "help" a team(technically any player can but that's beside the point)but

2. Most teams aren't scared to go play him one on one, especially since they KNOW he's not going to give it his all unless MOTIVATED(the play against Revis being a good example since Revis did call him a slouch, not that it wasn't true at times in his career).

3. This stuff jeebs is talking about, which I never get anyway, about "Guys he's 6'4 so he's a legit threat" is BS anyway, especially since there have been PLENTY of 6'4 Receivers to come thru, only to not produce anything worth a damn in their time.

4. Why are we even discussing his conditioning? When has conditioning EVER been a problem for Moss? Seriously? In the 13-14 years he's played, staying in shape has NEVER been an issue for Moss but yet his Agent comes out and says he's in the best shape he's ever been? The fact that he's saying that tells me alone that he had no interest from many teams, if any.

I'll stop though before folks(not you Apostle)start assuming that I'm hating on the dude because I said he's not a threat like he used to be or that he's not as fast as he used to be. But as for your last comment about him being better than majority of WRs out there: I guess so but that obviously depends on that particular team.
Well, you and I were not discussing his conditioning because I never saw you put him down for his work ethic. It was others that brought that into the conversation.

I think he had plenty of teams interested, but the money or situation was not right and at 34, he decided that he didn't want to just play for the sake of playing anymore. I could be wrong. Who knows.

I agree with everything else you said, though. My opinion of him still being a threat is not in comparison to the threat that he used to be, as in he's not in the elite crop of wide receivers anymore, but not many players his age are. I just meant, well, he's still Randy Moss, a good deal of that athletic ability is still there (though it has declined) and for those reasons alone, he is still a legitimate threat. Not like he used to be, but I won't believe anyone who says that he's "done" or not a threat at all. I just think that's foolishness.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #51
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

If James Lofton at 34 years old can be the number 2 WR option for the Buffalo Bills teams in the early 90's, I'm pretty sure Moss can be the 2nd option for a contending team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #52
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Exactly. How people can question his work ethic is beyond me.

What is it, I wonder, that makes people think they know so damn much about a person when they have never met or spent any time with them. I'll say it until I'm blue in the face - some of the comments here piss me off. Not because I'm a Moss fan, but because guys are so quick to believe everything that the media reports about a person. It's actually kind of scary when you think about it.

Moss screwed up during his career, but who hasn't? He walked off the field with time on the clock, he made some off hand comments to the media... He admitted to taking plays "off" or not going 100 percent, but me personally, I find that honesty refreshing. I am sure the people who blasted him for those comments are all the perfect employees and always bring their maximum effort forward. Right?

It's like some expect athletes to be perfect. People don't want them to be imperfect because they live vicariously through them. What other explanation can be put out there?

The work ethic thing baffles me... We all know he worked out with Cris Carter. Moss was perhaps one of the most talented wide receivers we've ever seen, but he had a great career because he coupled his talent with a good work ethic. We've seen over and over athletes who were on another planet talent-wise fizzle out and do nothing. I don't care how much talent you have - if you've ever played sports, you know that if you don't work hard, that athletic ability will only take you so far.

Some of the earlier comments in this thread were ignorant at best, and hugely judgmental at worst.

"He could have been so much better..."

Maybe, maybe not. Best wide receiver I've seen in my 30 years, though.
I don't expect the athlete to be perfect, but do I expect him to give a damn even when it doesn't suit him? Yes. Moss isn't a WR you can plug in and he'll produce. He's a deep threat (if still that) and that's about it. His routes are pathetic and he isn't taking any slants or drags full speed over the middle.

Like PPM said, 6'4 doesn't mean crap. We've seen plenty of WR's w/ size and speed come and go. That's the problem, that's all they have. Moss has kept Moss from doing more or being in these situations. I made a comment saying I'm not sure if he can run 4.3ish speed anymore and someone said he can still run 4.5ish. In this league now, 4.5 is very average. He's not the best WR I've seen in the 15ish years I've been watching football. Irvin, Rice, Rod Smith, TO off the top of my head were better WR's. Moss just has the better highlight tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #53
Rookie

ybtherockstar's Arena

OVR: 6

Randy is gonna be missed. I used to hate when my packers had to play the vikings. I knew moss was gonna have a crazy game.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #54
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Could we get a unlike button lol?

I don't know if many people have played football in here or not. Speed is not an issue for wideouts. Jerry Rice and all the guys you mentioned are all probably running sub-par 4.5-4.7 guys. Jerry Rice did have other great skills to cover for speed. But Randy Moss watching that tape of the recap from last year 5 touchdowns. You can see he see deserves help over the top.

And to who ever said Tom Brady is what makes Randy Moss such a target is completely wrong. Anyone with a strong arm can throw to him.

But if this is really the last call for Randy Moss. I have to say I'm going to miss him. Even with all the other stuff he has done. He changed video gaming, changed football defensive coverages and the WR position.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #55
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Could we get a unlike button lol?

I don't know if many people have played football in here or not. Speed is not an issue for wideouts. Jerry Rice and all the guys you mentioned are all probably running sub-par 4.5-4.7 guys. Jerry Rice did have other great skills to cover for speed. But Randy Moss watching that tape of the recap from last year 5 touchdowns. You can see he see deserves help over the top.

And to who ever said Tom Brady is what makes Randy Moss such a target is completely wrong. Anyone with a strong arm can throw to him.

But if this is really the last call for Randy Moss. I have to say I'm going to miss him. Even with all the other stuff he has done. He changed video gaming, changed football defensive coverages and the WR position.
You're not understanding what I'm saying. And those guys I named ran excelled routes. Have you seen Moss run a route? My middle school players don't round off routes as horribly as he does. He's a one trick pony. And he also has motivation issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #56
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Right on point, Wharton, as usual. I think the Pats should forgive and forget on this one. I truly believe Moss has learned his lesson(inregards to pouting) and truly wants(ed) to retire a Pat. It would be a shame for him to retire under these circumstances. I heard reports that Philly may go after him. Wow!
The Pats gave him a "meet in the middle offer" (1 year deal) which is more than generous considering he deserved to get the boot and pretty much admitted he was wrong. I see no reason for him not to take that offer. If anyone's going to be mad about it, they should be mad at Moss. And if Philly goes after him, it'd be for 1 year too so if he ends up there it should be a head scratcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Any contending team? Sure about that or do you mean a select # of them?
Pretty much any contending team. DEFINITELY not all. I bet my number is bigger than yours though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »