Home

this kicking off from 35 yard line

This is a discussion on this kicking off from 35 yard line within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: this kicking off from 35 yard line

Steve Tasker (who does the Bills preseason games) was noting how the rule does make it safer for the marginal player and how IF the ball isn't in the end zone it can lead to potential long returns or TD runs. He said the huge difference is in having the kicking team line up 5 yards behind the ball. The kicking team guys will be further down the field now compared to how they were in previous years (about a 10 yard difference actually which is surprising) so KR if they have good blocking up front can make some hay off this rule change.

I'm still not sold on this rule but if a guy who I think should be in Canton based on his special teams work can see the positives in this rule change then I can at least give it a chance.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ravens games are going to be fun to watch, they are going to have to put a net up when Cundiff kicks off so the ball doesn't go into the stands

I'd be willing to say maybe 5 of Billy's kickoffs won't be touchbacks this year, this rule is just dumb. This is the end up the great kick returner in the NFL, much like the fullback is now an after thought. At least we still have punt returns I guess....
NHL: Colorado Avalanche
NCAABB: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 08-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #27
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMcEZ
At least we still have punt returns I guess....

Give it time....
Old 08-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #28
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
just think about this. now we have college football having its kickoffs from the 30 and the NFL having its kickoffs from the 35. just 5 years ago it was the exact opposite! didn't college football do it partly because the NFL had it from the 30 yard line? i thought the reasoning was always that college kickers don't have the legs that NFL kickers have and shouldn't have to kick as far. i think this was a valid reasoning when it was given before the switch. now what's the reasoning that college football has it from the 30. look at this push about player safety. all the things they have done to try to make the game more safe, and yet now college football has the more kickoff returns, as some coaches have said the most dangerous play in the game.
If you want to play a safe sport, play Golf/Tennis.

If you want a safe profession, become an Accountant.

I know there is a push to keep people safe and I think I can speak for just about everyone when I say that no one wishes paralysis or any time of impairment upon any human being. But these guys choose to play football. And with every choice, there are consequences. I play soccer every day on a sprained ACL, knowing full well it could tear with any step and I could be on the couch for 12 months. Its the reason I decided to not pursue such a path as a college or professional athlete. These guys have been playing football since college and they know the risk that they take every time they suit up.

Now the good ole' union is attempting to take a very exciting part of the game.

Honestly though, with all that said.. I really doubt we will see more touch-backs. Why? Because the coaches still will want to have the chance to create a huge turnover on a kickoff. (Think about the number of fumble on kick offs. Its usually alot more than the regular offense.) And who will the coach do? Ask the one player on the field that is in the least amount of risk to make the ball 5 yards shorter, the Kicker. He will most likely follow orders because, they are usually easily replaceable.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #29
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan1315
Why? Because the coaches still will want to have the chance to create a huge turnover on a kickoff. (Think about the number of fumble on kick offs. Its usually alot more than the regular offense.) And who will the coach do? Ask the one player on the field that is in the least amount of risk to make the ball 5 yards shorter, the Kicker. He will most likely follow orders because, they are usually easily replaceable.
coaches will take the touchbacks. the field position between an avg return under the 30 yard line kickoff and a touchback is huge. Kickers were already sought after if they could kick consistent touchbacks.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #30
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
coaches will take the touchbacks. the field position between an avg return under the 30 yard line kickoff and a touchback is huge. Kickers were already sought after if they could kick consistent touchbacks.
Oh... well yea probably... but still.. it all kinda irritates me.. I mean I get having fines for dangerous hits but now they are changing the rules of the game and changing the game. And that just irritates me.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

The rule does nothing to save players and actually hurts those special teams' players. Now you won't be able to keep special team superstars because they won't have enough value.

Then you have teams that will try to kick the ball inside the 5 yard line and make you return it. The Jags have done this for years and now they will have even a better chance at stopping the returner short of the 20.

If you are looking at the preseason numbers, you need to remember teams want to get practice returning kicks. The Jags were returning anything that the KR was able to catch inbounds. In the regular season, those are going to be touchbacks, so the numbers will probably go up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 01:33 AM   #32
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Steve Tasker ....

I'm still not sold on this rule but if a guy who I think should be in Canton based on his special teams work can see the positives in this rule change then I can at least give it a chance.
Good enough for me...great post.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »