Home

this kicking off from 35 yard line

This is a discussion on this kicking off from 35 yard line within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #49
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: this kicking off from 35 yard line

Just wondering, if moving the kickoff team to only being able line up 5 yards behind the ball was the biggest improvement on safety, according to Tasker; What was the point of moving the ball up to the 35?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #50
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

I understand that some are up in arms because it's "flag football" or because it diminishes their team's stars (see: Hester, Devon), but I really hate seeing someone blow their knee or sustain a concussion because of a mere routine kick off.

Yeah sure, football is violent. But that doesn't mean we ignore the fact these are the lives of people, some with families and children. If the NFL decided one day to simply remove kick offs, I wouldn't really care. Kick offs are when I grab my soda and use the bathroom. The people that should be most concerned are the third string players who depend on special teams in order to make the team. Guys like Keith Burns thrived on special teams.

If they want to make the game safer, turn kick-offs into punts. Put the ball on the 45 yard line and make 'em punt the ball. You're not going to get the train wrecks that you see on kick offs. That'll preserve safety, preserve the importance of special teams, and even make things exciting with the possibility of a blocked punt.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #51
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNes12
Less kicks will be returned, but it isn't totally eliminating kick returns. I think you're exaggerating a bit
I guess we'll see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #52
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I understand that some are up in arms because it's "flag football" or because it diminishes their team's stars (see: Hester, Devon), but I really hate seeing someone blow their knee or sustain a concussion because of a mere routine kick off.

Yeah sure, football is violent. But that doesn't mean we ignore the fact these are the lives of people, some with families and children. If the NFL decided one day to simply remove kick offs, I wouldn't really care. Kick offs are when I grab my soda and use the bathroom. The people that should be most concerned are the third string players who depend on special teams in order to make the team. Guys like Keith Burns thrived on special teams.

If they want to make the game safer, turn kick-offs into punts. Put the ball on the 45 yard line and make 'em punt the ball. You're not going to get the train wrecks that you see on kick offs. That'll preserve safety, preserve the importance of special teams, and even make things exciting with the possibility of a blocked punt.
How do you mention guys health and their families than say you don't care of those same guys can't make the team?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #53
Pro

OVR: 7

Kickers skill only correlates to kick offs too. (This is hard to believe, but the data is there.)

So Kickers have no correlation to FG accuracy. And the one skill that had correlation, has now been ruined by moving the Kickoff line.

A good kicker is now about worthless.

Deeproute is a free to play GM/Coach simulator, and it's awesome.

Like us at http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeepRoute/102615446464773
Old 08-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #54
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
How do you mention guys health and their families than say you don't care of those same guys can't make the team?
For starters, I clearly give a solution that maintains the importance of special teams. Secondly, I'm not going to equate critical injuries that debilitate a man to not being skilled enough to make an NFL team. There's a big difference between a man who can no longer physically work and a man who simply wasn't talented enough to make the team. Lastly, my comment about not caring about kick offs was directed at the game itself (I thought this was obvious), not the individuals who play the position.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #55
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
For starters, I clearly give a solution that maintains the importance of special teams. Secondly, I'm not going to equate critical injuries that debilitate a man to not being skilled enough to make an NFL team. There's a big difference between a man who can no longer physically work and a man who simply wasn't talented enough to make the team. Lastly, my comment about not caring about kick offs was directed at the game itself (I thought this was obvious), not the individuals who play the position.
Well if you eliminate the kickoff all together those guys who are on the team for ST purposes won't make the team. Plus I don't see punting the ball as a viable option. It gives the returning team a big advantage.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #56
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
Well if you eliminate the kickoff all together those guys who are on the team for ST purposes won't make the team. Plus I don't see punting the ball as a viable option. It gives the returning team a big advantage.
The NFL has a duty to protect players, not create positions of employment for the less-skilled. Those guys have degrees for a reason. That's no different than any other employer.

As for punting, field position wasn't a talking point with the change to the 35 yard line. The talk is safety. Punt returns are safer than kick offs. If you place both teams on a line and line up just like a typical punt, you won't have 22 guys crashing into each other at break-neck speeds. Secondly, place the ball so that the average punt lands somewhere between the endzone and the 10 yard line. Last year, Devon Hester averaged 17 yards per punt return. Darren Sproles averaged 24.6 yards per kick-off.

With this, you still get returns, special teams still matter, and you even have a chance to block a punt after a score.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »