Home

this kicking off from 35 yard line

This is a discussion on this kicking off from 35 yard line within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #57
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: this kicking off from 35 yard line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
That sarcasm's pretttttttttay annoying.

It's not about the kicks being returned for excitement purposes, at least not for me.

It's about field position. My team was dead last in field position last year, and it killed our offense. Yeah, I know, the numbers show we were still a crazy offense, but those slow starts in the first half and the deep holes we had to dig out of were mostly because of field position offensively.

If every drive is starting from the 20 because of touchbacks with no chance to maybe start at the 35, or 40 every so often, it's detrimental to my team and their success.

Of course, it's the Texans, so more touchbacks probably mean less of a chance that there could be some ridiculous fumble to be the next culprit for an absurd loss. Who said I'm not an optimist?
This is a very, very good thing for teams with poor special teams.

More touchbacks all around means less of a disparity between the best and worst starting field positions.

@CDonkey26

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Yeah, she may be a bit of a beotch, but you get back to me when you find out a way to motorboat personality...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #58
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
The NFL has a duty to protect players, not create positions of employment for the less-skilled. Those guys have degrees for a reason. That's no different than any other employer.

As for punting, field position wasn't a talking point with the change to the 35 yard line. The talk is safety. Punt returns are safer than kick offs. If you place both teams on a line and line up just like a typical punt, you won't have 22 guys crashing into each other at break-neck speeds. Secondly, place the ball so that the average punt lands somewhere between the endzone and the 10 yard line. Last year, Devon Hester averaged 17 yards per punt return. Darren Sproles averaged 24.6 yards per kick-off.

With this, you still get returns, special teams still matter, and you even have a chance to block a punt after a score.
i understand the need for safety but where do you draw the line. This safety issue is just a mask to hide behind. Its like saying that 99% of all injuries are caused by contact so the NFL is going to a 7 on 7 style format. If you argue against it i just claim its about player safety and you look like the bad guy. You might say that a ridiculous idea but the point is where do you draw the line? Kickoffs were targeted becuase they have the highest injury rate. Well if kickoffs are pretty much eliminated then something else has to be the highest injury rate and that gets eliminated and so on and so on. Then you eventually end up with 7 on 7.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 PM   #59
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKoz26
This is a very, very good thing for teams with poor special teams.

More touchbacks all around means less of a disparity between the best and worst starting field positions.
I thought about that, but I'm not terribly concerned about where other teams are starting usually (obviously except when they're playing Houston) because we'll be starting at the 20 anyway and its affecting our offense at that time.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #60
MVP

colkilla's Arena

OVR: 13

there are some kickers in the league that could go the ENTIRE season with nothing but touchbacks if the st coach gives them the greenlight. that is BORING...
Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #61
Dog
aka jnes12/JNes__

Dog's Arena

OVR: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by colkilla
there are some kickers in the league that could go the ENTIRE season with nothing but touchbacks if the st coach gives them the greenlight. that is BORING...
And what exactly is wrong with that? I'd rather pin the team at the 20 each time than risk having a big return that could shift momentum

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM   #62
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40

And there are some kickers who can do that now...

(Touch back every time)
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #63
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNes12
And what exactly is wrong with that? I'd rather pin the team at the 20 each time than risk having a big return that could shift momentum
Especially the Dallas and Oakland Kickers
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #64
Pro

MagicMan1315's Arena

OVR: 13

Anyone think this will cause more surprise on-side kicks because even if you fail, you will have an extra 5 yards?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »