Home

"Adopting" a 2nd team...

This is a discussion on "Adopting" a 2nd team... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
The Bird is the word

Bighoff's Arena

OVR: 19
I can see following a team or two that aren't "your" team but not saying I'm a fan of this team and this team.

Sent from here to there.
I've heard this "patience is a virtue" junk all my life. I'm happy to say I have no virtue, no scruples, and no desire to wait too long for anything. In my humble opinion instant gratification takes too long!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
PGH for GTA VI

spacefunk's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: "Adopting" a 2nd team...

There are exceptions. Like if you move to an NFL city and slowly but surely attach yourself to them because your new friends like them and they're all on your TV/radio. Or if you have family in other NFL cities. But if you're born and raised in Pittsburgh, love the Steelers, but for no explicable reason also like the Rams, I just don't get that.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #11
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
How are you not already a cowboys fan?
Weird, huh, how someone can be born and raised in Texas and not like the Cowboys. That's nearly unheard of.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #12

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

I root for my team (Miami) and I root for players that came from my school (NCSU).

I enjoy seeing the Panthers play well as well, its good for the city.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #13
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
I root for my team (Miami) and I root for players that came from my school (NCSU).

I enjoy seeing the Panthers play well as well, its good for the city.
Pretty close to me. I'm a "fan" of the Skins mostly because I work in Northern Va and listen to sports talk radio. So not only is it Skins talk all the time, but it's downright unbearable when they aren't doing well (insert joke here). I also followed them before Baltimore got the Ravens since they were the local team (in terms of coverage), and they're still on tv as much as the Ravens. Plus, the chances of them playing more than once every 4 years is pretty slim. If they played more, I'd probably hate the Skins.

BTW, there are plenty of bandwagon fans that only have one favorite team. You can follow multiple teams and not bounce around (or pound your chest only when one of your 30 favorite teams is doing well).
Old 09-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 8

I've always had two favorite NFL teams, or at least as long as they've both existed. As a Michigander, I follow the Lions but, for some reason, I've always liked the Browns too. I don't get people that discredit me for having no "legit" reason for liking them. Why does it matter why I like them? ESPECIALLY if it's those two...I'm clearly not a fair weather fan.

Anyway, I guess I'm in the minority that thinks it's ok to be a fan of one college for basketball and one for football. I'm a Notre Dame football fan because, as a kid, one of my friends would talk to me about all of the tradition and I started following them. I'm also a Michigan State basketball fan because my dad really follows them and got me into it as a kid. I didn't go to either school so why should I be forced to commit to just one of them? I'll cheer for both in both sports but ND is ALWAYS going to win out (in my fandom) when it comes to football.

Anyway, I think it's hilarious when I see/hear/read people trying to define a "good reason" to be a fan of a team. Other than maybe "hey, it's the home team and I'm proud of the city," I don't think there is a blanket definition of good and bad reasons to cheer for a team.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #15
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
What I am about to say is crazy talk, but I think I am slowly becoming a Dallas Cowboys "fan
Might as well start supporting Terrorism while you're at it, man.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #16
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampStomper90
Weird, huh, how someone can be born and raised in Texas and not like the Cowboys. That's nearly unheard of.
almost as unheard of a someone who switches their favorite team every month :O

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »