Home

Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers

This is a discussion on Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Total QBR: Brees vs. Rodgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I think there's some confusion. I believe above a 70 = MVP caliber game, not a "C" performance. A "C" performance would be a 50.
Alright, I'll rephrase:

Let's revisit this after week one is over and see if 10 other QBs (30% of the league) have better game then Brees had against Green Bay.

That's actually what tQBR is saying.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTop
Alright, I'll rephrase:

Let's revisit this after week one is over and see if 10 other QBs (30% of the league) have better game then Brees had against Green Bay.

That's actually what tQBR is saying.
How exactly is it saying that at least 30% of the NFL's starting QBs are better than Brees?
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

the regular QB ratings were 132.1 for rodgers and 112.5 for brees so i dont think this total QBR is showing us anything extra. It will be interesting to see a Vick Total QBR for when he has a bad passing game but a good rushing game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Both ratings are still flawed imo. All I know is I saw 2 about equal QBs play a great game last night. Rodgers may have been more efficient, but that's kinda gonna happen when you play against the Saints secondary the way they played last night compared to Brees going up against the Packers secondary/pass rush.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
How exactly is it saying that at least 30% of the NFL's starting QBs are better than Brees?
Read the description from the article:

Quote:
As a reminder, Total QBR is a quarterback rating that takes into account all contributions to his team’s scoring and winning. It then summarizes that into one number on a 0-100 scale that can be interpreted as a percentile. A score of 80 means his performance was better than 80 percent of all quarterback games. The average Total QBR is 50.0.
Now, whether that line means week to week or year to year, I don't know. But this line for the more detailed description only continues to solidify my argument:

Quote:
That being said, the top values in a season tend to be about 75 and above, whereas the top values in a game are in the upper 90s. Aaron Rodgers might have gone 31-of-36 for 366 yards, with three passing TDs, another TD running, 19 first-down conversions, and eight conversions on third or fourth down in one game -- for a single-game Total QBR of 97.2 -- but he can't keep that up all year long. Pro Bowl-level performance for a season usually means a QBR of at least 65 or 70. We don't expect to see a season with a QBR in the 90s.
What that line tells me is that if Drew Brees had that exact game every week for an entire year, he would break every passing record for a single season, but his performance wouldn't be considered to be in the "top value".

I'll stand by my opinion that this system is pure garbage.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsTop

What that line tells me is that if Drew Brees had that exact game every week for an entire year, he would break every passing record for a single season, but his performance wouldn't be considered to be in the "top value".

I'll stand by my opinion that this system is pure garbage.
Interesting thought. With the current QB rating if he had the exact same stats every game he'd have the exact same rating for every game right? Which therefore would like you said give him the highest QB rating ever for a season, break every record,etc.

However if he had these exact stats in every game using the TQBR that rating will be different each time due to the situations,etc they use.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
The Few. The Proud.

SportsTop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
Interesting thought. With the current QB rating if he had the exact same stats every game he'd have the exact same rating for every game right? Which therefore would like you said give him the highest QB rating ever for a season, break every record,etc.

However if he had these exact stats in every game using the TQBR that rating will be different each time due to the situations,etc they use.
Put it into the context of him having the exact game and the value being the exact same for the entire year. I can't imagine a QB having a record setting, HOF type season and it even crack the top seven all time tQBR seasons of all time.

At least the old QB Rating was intuitive, while this isn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

Yeah I thought it was interesting at first but now i'm starting to feel this is more flawed then the current one.

Not quite sure on this, but with the current one mainly being use if you really wanted to you could sit down with the stats and the formula and figure out the rating on your own. Is it really possible to do that with the TQBR due to all the stupid situations,etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »