Home

Why Has Tackling Gotten So Bad Over The Years?

This is a discussion on Why Has Tackling Gotten So Bad Over The Years? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Why Has Tackling Gotten So Bad Over The Years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I'm not saying going for the classic tackle 100% of the time is the way to go but there definitely needs to be all sorts of techniques employed.
Absolutely. Gotta go with the best option for the situation. If you're chasing down a RB from the opposite side of the field and he sees you before you get to him, running in a straight line to lay him out isn't going to work. That's a situation where you've got to play your angle, and get the guy on the ground. At the least, slow him down or make him cut in towards your help.

A big evolution in the game is how fast, but also big and strong even the most finesse positions on the field are now (WR's and QB's are bigger then ever, and RB's are built more like LB's to withstand the pounding of a season). Players think that they get one shot at getting these athletes down, so they're going to go 110% in one direction and hope for the best.

One thing I've noticed more and more over the years is guys not tackling and not hitting, but turtling and taking out a player by basically diving into his knees. We all know a DB isn't nearly as big as a TE or a RB, so they're going to have to go low the majority of the time to make sure they get these guys down. I've felt like this "tackling" technique is the easiest to 1) read and 2) break out of. Typically, if a guy is going to turtle, it's in the open field as it's usually a DB and they're the last line of defense. So if the ballcarrier has time and space, it should allow him an adequate opening to judge the situation and either leap the defender (and with how low some of these guys go, it doesn't even have to be a hurtle) or juke him out of his jock as the defender breaks down into a diving/falling motion. I've just never liked this form of tackling, unless absolutely necessary and/or on occasion to throw another variable into the tackling equation.

Like I've said, taking the best angle to the ball and knowing where your help is so once you get to the ball, then at least slowing down the ballcarrier or forcing him in a different direction is effective as well. Not technically part of the tackling, but all the things leading up to it.

And damn it, you can't overpursue. This one kills me. How many times have you seen a defender get in the right position quickly, then one quick jab or cut by the ballcarrier, and all that hard work to get in position is for naught as the defender slides by, caught overrunning the play. Once again, you have to know where your help is. If the ballcarrier is right along the sidelines, yeah, not a bad idea to use the sideline (sideline never missed a tackle as they told us back when I played in HS) as a crutch and cut off the ballcarrier's forward direction and force him back into the middle of the field where you presumably have your help defense. Otherwise, you can get there as quickly as you like, but if you don't do the right thing when you do get to the spot when it's defender vs. ballcarrier, then you've taken yourself out of the play.

I do think we're going to see better form tackling with the league cracking down on the huge body-exploding hits. I've noticed it every now and then, DB's pulling up to avoid the fine (not to mention the 15-yard penalty) and instead just making sure the receiver just gets on the turf. It's a tough balance in that situation between making a play or going safe, so I sympathize with the players in this situation. But if it means we'll be able to watch great receivers for longer as they're not being blown up and injured, I'm for it. Big hits are exhilarating, but I'm also concerned about the players health too, especially with what's coming out about concussions and the trauma it causes. This isn't Madden when you're using a virtual avatar of a player, these guys are human and do need to be protected. And trust me, the game can still be just as physical and gladiator-esque as it's always been. I heard plenty of pads popping on Sunday. It's still football, just a bit lighter (and safer) version of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jistic
1. Money
2. Lack of full contact practice
3. Emphasis on turnovers
4. The highlight reel mentality
I agree thats sums it up
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Coaches don't even preach traditional tackling anymore. They don't like for their players to fall on the ground; they tell them to always stay on their feet.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
I don't know...I think some credit should swing to the players within skill positions maybe leapfrogging abilities of their predecessors.

For instance, I can't remember there being a WR like Anquan Boldin in the 90s. Someone who didn't have to run through, he could just devestate you with a stiff arm. I mean I remember David Boston, but he wasn't nearly as quick as Boldin.

Guys like Brandon Marshall, and also guys like DeSean Jackson with either power or moves have got to add a wrinkle to the discussion of bad tackling....because they make tackling look bad, but in all actuality are hard as hell to bringdown etc.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Banned

DukeC's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I don't know...I think some credit should swing to the players within skill positions maybe leapfrogging abilities of their predecessors.

For instance, I can't remember there being a WR like Anquan Boldin in the 90s. Someone who didn't have to run through, he could just devestate you with a stiff arm. I mean I remember David Boston, but he wasn't nearly as quick as Boldin.

Guys like Brandon Marshall, and also guys like DeSean Jackson with either power or moves have got to add a wrinkle to the discussion of bad tackling....because they make tackling look bad, but in all actuality are hard as hell to bringdown etc.
To add on to this...I think it's mainly the fact that almost every team has either an elite reciever, runningback or just a fast playmaker that can make guys looks bad. I know everyone hasn't forgotten just how bad Barry Sanders made everyone look . Was that bad tackling also? Or was it just a case of Barry having moves that were pretty much indefensible?

The way they are taught plays a major part, I'm not disputing that, but we are also seeing more and more elite athletes in the NFL also. Sometimes, no matter your technique, speed and agility are going to trump the majority of the time.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

Barry Sanders was tackled....a lot. For losses quite frequently. If a player can deliver a hit they should be able to deliver a tackle. It's not like these superior offensive players of today are going untouched.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Lack of fundamentals...prior to entering the NFL and not emphasized by coaches once in the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #16
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Lack of fundamentals...prior to entering the NFL and not emphasized by coaches once in the NFL.
Why wouldn't a coach emphasize tackling?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »