Home

Week 5: Philadelphia Eagles (1-3) @ Buffalo Bills (3-1)

This is a discussion on Week 5: Philadelphia Eagles (1-3) @ Buffalo Bills (3-1) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #73
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Week 5: Philadelphia Eagles (1-3) @ Buffalo Bills (3-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I never thought for once there was a chemistry issue, and still don't think there is one. This team has holes just like any other team does, and that's what we're seeing. On offense there are rookies up and down the OLine, and a LG who has moved over to RT....and for whatever reason, the Eagles still cannot execute in the Red Zone. I thought Ronnie Brown would've given them some power in short yardage, but he has only 13 carries thus far.

So is it chemistry or personnel....or are we talking about the same thing?

Philly spent weeks 2 and 3 playing some tough football, and in-game injuries to Vick buried them. Wasn't till San Fran, and now Buffalo that this team just flat-out hit a wall. To lose like they did agaisnt Atlanta and San Fran I would point to coaching and management. It's the coaches fault the Eagles blew a 20pt halftime lead, and it's managements fault they didn't better address a capable back-up for Vick....because what good is signing Vince Young if he was not available in weeks 2 and 3?

Folks are drawing parrallels to the Redskins signing an aging Deion Sanders, Dana Stubblefield, Bruce Smith, Fat Albert, Brand Lloyd, Adam Archuleta, etc. and I'm not buying it. First off, the contracts given to those guys, were ridiculously large. Secondly, Babin and Jenkins have definitely performed, remains to be seen just what the Eagles can do w/ Asomugha and Ronnie Brown. Comparisons to the blundering Redskins moves are shortsighted fodder.

As far as issues at LB and S....well...I guess they thought they would be getting more from Casey Matthews and so they attempted to address MLB through the draft. As for Safety...I guess we're seeing what they have...which is not much, and it's looking like Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman are not starters in the NFL.
Doing a ton of retooling to the oline creates a chemistry issue. Not to mention Aso getting used to his new role where he's not being asked to man up and lock down one side of the field. But like I said, that's just one issue. The comparison to the Skins (and it's not a comparison to ALL the FA signings the Skins have done) is about adding depth at positions you don't need while ignoring those that you do. Deion wasn't a problem bc he was old. He was great on the Ravens after that. He was a bad signing bc they already had solid corners including fan favorite Darryl Green... and they already had a solid returner in fan favorite Brian Mitchell. I forgot who else they signed besides Smith, but pretty sure it was a position they were already solid too. The Eagles had oline issues and issues up the middle and against the run and that's exactly what's been hurting them this year. If Vick were playing like last year, it'd be masked again, but that's what we're talking about.

It's not like they're doomed, but some of us weren't buying the SB or bust idea bc we saw the holes before the season started.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #74
Pro

mjbird123's Arena

OVR: 32

Big Giants fan so I really want to get the Eagles knocked out of the division race as soon as possible. happy with their loss. Hope their lossing ways continue
Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #75
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Doing a ton of retooling to the oline creates a chemistry issue. Not to mention Aso getting used to his new role where he's not being asked to man up and lock down one side of the field. But like I said, that's just one issue. The comparison to the Skins (and it's not a comparison to ALL the FA signings the Skins have done) is about adding depth at positions you don't need while ignoring those that you do. Deion wasn't a problem bc he was old. He was great on the Ravens after that. He was a bad signing bc they already had solid corners including fan favorite Darryl Green... and they already had a solid returner in fan favorite Brian Mitchell. I forgot who else they signed besides Smith, but pretty sure it was a position they were already solid too. The Eagles had oline issues and issues up the middle and against the run and that's exactly what's been hurting them this year. If Vick were playing like last year, it'd be masked again, but that's what we're talking about.

It's not like they're doomed, but some of us weren't buying the SB or bust idea bc we saw the holes before the season started.
This whole chemistry idea is contradictory to the point that it's mainly a lack of talent. Again...the Eagles used the draft to address needs on the OLine and at MLB; Danny Watkins and Casey Matthews.

Hypothetically...if they would've plugged OL and S/LB holes in free agency, and those holes were filled w/ no glaring issues currently being shown...then we wouldn't be talking about chemistry or something to that effect.

They did pad (or attempt to pad) depth at OLine adding guys like Evan Mathis and Kyle Devan, and SS Jarrard Page. Just turns out that either these guys haven't latched on due to inexperience, growing pains within this system, or they just are not that good.

As far as the Redskins comparison....Eagles did not overpay for anyone. They paid the going rate for a "shutdown" corner, and Babin and Jenkins were solid deals. Ronnie Brown was cheap. Steve Smith was cheap. DRC came via trade.....so again...this isn't Redskins money ball here man.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #76
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
This whole chemistry idea is contradictory to the point that it's mainly a lack of talent. Again...the Eagles used the draft to address needs on the OLine and at MLB; Danny Watkins and Casey Matthews.

Hypothetically...if they would've plugged OL and S/LB holes in free agency, and those holes were filled w/ no glaring issues currently being shown...then we wouldn't be talking about chemistry or something to that effect.

They did pad (or attempt to pad) depth at OLine adding guys like Evan Mathis and Kyle Devan, and SS Jarrard Page. Just turns out that either these guys haven't latched on due to inexperience, growing pains within this system, or they just are not that good.

As far as the Redskins comparison....Eagles did not overpay for anyone. They paid the going rate for a "shutdown" corner, and Babin and Jenkins were solid deals. Ronnie Brown was cheap. Steve Smith was cheap. DRC came via trade.....so again...this isn't Redskins money ball here man.
I'm REALLY confused with what your problem is with what I said. Going into the season I didn't see PHI as a SB lock (won't use the "dream team" crap bc VY should keep his mouth shut) bc it takes time for a new oline to gel and I wasn't convinced they addressed needs at LB and safety. You're saying pretty much the same thing. The only lack of chemistry I'm talking about is with the oline, where I think it's absolutely necessary and is showing as an issue right now for them.

And as I just said, I compare them to the Redskins bc they brought in big name free agents that created depth more than filling holes. I didn't say anything about it comparing to spending a ton of money.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:10 PM   #77
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Exactly wwharton.

Why do you think the Packers, Saints, Lions, 49ers, Ravens and even the Bills are sitting where they are right now? Because of Chemistry and because if you look at the teams, for the most part they haven't made significant changes to their rosters like the Eagles have unless they were getting players back from Injuries, in which case it's easier for those teams to ease them back into the lineup and for them to adjust quickly than bringing in someone who has never played under YOUR system/scheme.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #78
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Exactly wwharton.

Why do you think the Packers, Saints, Lions, 49ers, Ravens and even the Bills are sitting where they are right now? Because of Chemistry and because if you look at the teams, for the most part they haven't made significant changes to their rosters like the Eagles have unless they were getting players back from Injuries, in which case it's easier for those teams to ease them back into the lineup and for them to adjust quickly than bringing in someone who has never played under YOUR system/scheme.
In fact, other than Jason Babin, nobody including Eagles from last year has played under the current defensive scheme.

And just to speak about the defense, I really think it's more of a scheme issue rather than a chemistry issue. Because based on the games I'm watching, it's looks like I'm seeing a scheme that's not working (wide 9 does require more contributions for linebackers and defense tackles to make run stops, but the Eagles linebacker corp is really weak and Jenkins' specialty is pass rushing) and poor fundamentals on behalf of the players.

Last edited by ThePPL; 10-12-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #79
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'm REALLY confused with what your problem is with what I said. Going into the season I didn't see PHI as a SB lock (won't use the "dream team" crap bc VY should keep his mouth shut) bc it takes time for a new oline to gel and I wasn't convinced they addressed needs at LB and safety. You're saying pretty much the same thing. The only lack of chemistry I'm talking about is with the oline, where I think it's absolutely necessary and is showing as an issue right now for them.

And as I just said, I compare them to the Redskins bc they brought in big name free agents that created depth more than filling holes. I didn't say anything about it comparing to spending a ton of money.
You know I hate the Redskins...any comparison just sticks in my crawl .

My thinking now is that they didn't really know how weak they would be at LB and S. Even with the signings on defense, if they had not switched schemes then maybe this same personnel could still get it done against the run?

Hindsight 20/20....I think they should've opted to resign Quinten Mikell and Ernie Sims or Stew Bradley.

I think...if not turned around...the failures of this team lie squarely on the decision to change the defensive philosophy so radically.......ESPECIALLY coming out of a lock-out and without the requisite time in the offseason to iron out the kinks.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #80
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePPL
In fact, other than Jason Babin, nobody including Eagles from last year has played under the current defensive scheme.

And just to speak about the defense, I really think it's more of a scheme issue rather than a chemistry issue. Because based on the games I'm watching, it's looks like I'm seeing a scheme that's not working (wide 9 does require more contributions for linebackers and defense tackles to make run stops, but the Eagles linebacker corp is really weak and Jenkins' specialty is pass rushing) and poor fundamentals on behalf of the players.
And this is where the Lockout hurts you because you(or any other team in the league)had the Offseason to kind've slow build that chemistry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »