Home

Will any sport ever have as many fans and revenue as football?

This is a discussion on Will any sport ever have as many fans and revenue as football? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Will any sport ever have as many fans and revenue as football?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM Punk
You are so wrong its not even funny.

Last years Super Bowl had 111 million viewers. The 2010 World Cup final had 700 million viewers. So its not an established fact by any means. In fact its not even close.
I already admitted that the Olympics and world cup get higher ratings than the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean that people watch curling, volleyball and soccer outside of these events. What soccer game other than world cup can get even the average NFL regular season game? How can soccer be bigger than the NFL (or even the MLB and NBA) when soccer doesn't pay $100 million contracts and when soccer is never on the front page of ESPN?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini
Soccer isn't the #1 spectator sport, football has more people watching it than soccer. Soccer is the #1 played sport because its cheap so third world countries can afford it. But they would much rather watch exciting sports like football, I'm sorry its a well established fact the Super Bowl is the biggest TV sport event in the entire world (most watched, most money for commericals...etc).
It's an established fact that you aren't a real person.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #43
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
I already admitted that the Olympics and world cup get higher ratings than the Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean that people watch curling, volleyball and soccer outside of these events. What soccer game other than world cup can get even the average NFL regular season game? How can soccer be bigger than the NFL (or even the MLB and NBA) when soccer doesn't pay $100 million contracts and when soccer is never on the front page of ESPN?

Just stop.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #44
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Wow you are delusional......

I'm done with this but i'll just say a couple things:

1. Take a look at the highest paid soccer players in the world.They make more money (and GUARANTEED!) than the high priced NFL stars.

2. Um, the EPL, Bundesliga and Serie A gets very good ratings not only in their home countries but throughout the world.

3. Stop being so parochial, just because it's not on the front page of ESPN doesn't mean it's not on the front page of other sites/newspapers/TV shows etc etc etc. There's more to the world than North America.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker

Last edited by SPTO; 10-17-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: found a more fitting word than "ethnocentric"
Old 10-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM Punk
Last years Super Bowl had 111 million viewers. The 2010 World Cup final had 700 million viewers. So its not an established fact by any means. In fact its not even close.
That 111 million figure is just for the US, and the 700 million claimed by the WC final has been debunked multiple times as really only having about 1/3 the amount of viewers they claim

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...ht-438302.html

I'm not trying to say football is more popular than soccer I'm just saying worldwide the SB and WC final are about equal in viewership
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #46

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
I'm not trying to say football is more popular than soccer I'm just saying worldwide the SB and WC final are about equal in viewership
Still not true.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
What does that say about soccer when the world cup is by far the biggest soccer event and it can't even beat the Super Bowl? How can it be the most popular SPECTATOR sport when it doesn't have more spectators?
Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
What does that say about soccer when the world cup is by far the biggest soccer event and it can't even beat the Super Bowl? How can it be the most popular SPECTATOR sport when it doesn't have more spectators?
Well, the Super Bowl is by far the biggest football event, and the WC beat it....so.....
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »