Home

Matt Barkley vs Andrew Luck

This is a discussion on Matt Barkley vs Andrew Luck within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #25
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Matt Barkley vs Andrew Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bccards13
If the Colts are 0-16 and most definitely have the first pick in the draft, why, in the name of any supernatural being, would they trade down to get Barkley if they could just take Luck right then and there?! If this happened I think the Colts GM would be burned alive!
Because he could probably get a significant number of high draft picks, and the Colts have a lot more holes to fill than merely QB. Which is why he referenced the Walker trade. One player is not going to fix the Colts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #26
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Because he could probably get a significant number of high draft picks, and the Colts have a lot more holes to fill than merely QB. Which is why he referenced the Walker trade. One player is not going to fix the Colts.
Not only that, although you are right one, but, it's not like Peyton forgot how to play the position.

Let's say Indy gets #1 pick. GM/Teams/Fans covet Luck like no one else before, Colts can get an incredible deal. SD ended up getting away with a monster deal with NYG a few years back.

Colts will most likely get, one of the QBs not named Luck, a 1st next year, and throw in a few other 2nd-4th round picks. When you consider Peyton, if healthy, will probably play another 3-4 years, it's a deal you make, in a heartbeat.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #27
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

I have a feeling Barkley stays in school for one more year. He'll have the chance to play for a bowl game again. He can get out of Luck's shadow and possibly be the #1 pick in 2013. And it's really the "USC Way" other than Sanchez' decision to come out early.

I think he stays
Old 10-28-2011, 06:05 PM   #28
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
I have a feeling Barkley stays in school for one more year. He'll have the chance to play for a bowl game again. He can get out of Luck's shadow and possibly be the #1 pick in 2013. And it's really the "USC Way" other than Sanchez' decision to come out early.

I think he stays
From what I understand he's probably going to stay. He's one of those kids who simply enjoys the college life. That said, things can change between now and the draft, but if I were a betting man, right now, I would bet on him staying.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #29
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I just don't see it though. You can grab Andrew Luck who is probably one of the smartest qbs in the draft and put him in the Colts system which has been tailored to a smart qb and get him used to it while Manning finishes out the last few years of his career. Manning is probably going to retire when he's 37 or 38 years old. So that could give Luck a good 2 years under his wing while he learns the system inside and out, gets in when Peyton is feeling hurt or the game is out of reach one way or the other, and then have a new Manning. However this is only possible if Luck is the player everyone hopes he is.

The Colts do have massive problems on the defensive side of the ball but how have they always countered that? A very good offensive attack. The Colts have only been blown out in 2 games this year and in both games they only scored 7 points. A good Colts offense doesn't just win games, it inspires the defense. They don't feel like everything is on them when the game takes a turn for the worst. The quarterback is the Colts offense and without the quarterback its just the defense out there.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #30

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
I just don't see it though. You can grab Andrew Luck who is probably one of the smartest qbs in the draft and put him in the Colts system which has been tailored to a smart qb and get him used to it while Manning finishes out the last few years of his career. Manning is probably going to retire when he's 37 or 38 years old. So that could give Luck a good 2 years under his wing while he learns the system inside and out, gets in when Peyton is feeling hurt or the game is out of reach one way or the other, and then have a new Manning. However this is only possible if Luck is the player everyone hopes he is.

The Colts do have massive problems on the defensive side of the ball but how have they always countered that? A very good offensive attack. The Colts have only been blown out in 2 games this year and in both games they only scored 7 points. A good Colts offense doesn't just win games, it inspires the defense. They don't feel like everything is on them when the game takes a turn for the worst. The quarterback is the Colts offense and without the quarterback its just the defense out there.
I think they realize now that they need a lot more than a good backup/future QB.

This would be the perfect scenario for them to add draft picks and probably a solid player if not two, seems like a no brainer to me.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:

I'm not buying this at all. If he were going to retire in 1-2 years, why would he even come back at all. If he returns, I bet he plays till he's 41 or 42.
"In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #32
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I think they realize now that they need a lot more than a good backup/future QB.

This would be the perfect scenario for them to add draft picks and probably a solid player if not two, seems like a no brainer to me.
I can understand that, but the teams they would trade with would also most likely have high first round picks and not give those up. The teams the Colts could trade with, at least most obvious trades, are the 49ers, Redskins, Dolphins, Seahawks, and to some extent, the Raiders, Broncos, and Cardinals. Most of those teams don't have very good defenses. The Colts best bet is with either the 49ers or the Raiders for some defensive improvement. But also like I said, the defense hasn't been that bad this year. They held the Steelers to 23 points and again have only been blown out in 2 games. A good second and third round pick can help out there.

If I'm the Colts here is my plan of action, I keep the first round pick and take Luck. Then I trade either Jacob Tamme, or Pierre Garcon along with a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well as a 6th or 7th round pick, for either another teams first round pick, or a good defensive player plus a later round pick. The first guy I would look for would be a defensive back. The most problems the Colts have had this year have been the teams that use the short pass attack to eat up a defense, like the Saints and Texans. A good corner is a priority. Then look for another linebacker to help with the short pass coverage. I'm not sure which defense the Colts run but I believe its a 4-3. If that's the case I would do like the Texans did with Mario Williams. Switch to a 3-4 and move either Freeny or Mathis to the OLB position. Again, this is just my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »