Home

Week 8: Detroit Lions (5-2) @ Denver Broncos (2-4)

This is a discussion on Week 8: Detroit Lions (5-2) @ Denver Broncos (2-4) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #17
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Week 8: Detroit Lions (5-2) @ Denver Broncos (2-4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibito
Maybe if Tebow has a great game. I see the Lions by at least 7. Vikings have a run game, you just lost McGehee (or however you spell his name) who was having a great season.
Mcgahee was having a very good season for himself, but having Tebow in will mask some of the loss of production due to his injury. One way or the other I felt once Tebow took over Mcgahee's production would decline.

I think this game will fall more on Denver's defense than on Tebow's passing ability. As long as Denver can maintain some consistency on the ground and Tebow doesn't give up any Int's I think this game will be pretty close.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #18
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

Bit late coming back into my own thread, Battlefield 3 has taken my life for itself the past 24 hours.

Quote:
3 Tds? It took you OT to beat Minnesota...

The line is DET by 3, and the ESPN Insider line is Even,
When everything comes together I'm confident in my team getting it done. That's the concept I work with when predicting games.

Of course I take into consideration thing don't always go as well as anyone had planned, and in which case I'm willing to accept that the score will most likely be much closer.

As I said, I have a lot of confidence in Detroit, but I don't expect greatness. As long as were good, we get it done.

Quote:
Mcgahee was having a very good season for himself, but having Tebow in will mask some of the loss of production due to his injury. One way or the other I felt once Tebow took over Mcgahee's production would decline.
Is it fair to say that Moreno is a bust? Obviously on a smaller scale, but we have barely seen anything in 3 years.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
I'm going to politely disagree with the Thomas > Decker concept. Right now, at least. Decker is a more complete player than Thomas, whose injuries have really limited his education and ability to stay on the field. In terms of toolset, Thomas can become one of the elite WRs in the league. But right now, Decker is a better WR than Thomas.

And nobody wants to talk about him, but Matt Willis is a very underrated WR. I put him above Eddie Royal. Out of the slot, this kid can play. He's fast, fearless, and has surer hands than Royal and Thomas.

That said, I agree about Tebow. This game hinges on two things: Stafford's health and Tebow's performance. If Tebow lays a duck for 55 minutes again, he won't be able to overcome the kind of points the Lions can put up. On the other side, Stafford needs to be healthy (IMO) for the Lions to be formidable. Once again, the Lions' season balances upon the health of Stafford. The kid has to find a way to stay healthy and finish a season.
Thomas is still the man at WR on that team... see last week as example. It's not an evaluation of their talent, it's who the targets will be. Thomas will definitely get more targets than Decker. He'll be considered the #1 and Decker the #2... even though, yes, Decker is the more complete WR at this point. We'll see if Thomas earns the right to keep things this way, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was last week and how it'll be again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd

I think this game will fall more on Denver's defense than on Tebow's passing ability. As long as Denver can maintain some consistency on the ground and Tebow doesn't give up any Int's I think this game will be pretty close.
Actually, mobile QBs usually boost production for RBs. See Vick (both ATL and Philly) and VY with Chris Johnson. Teams need to spy on the QB to make sure they don't run which leaves more room for the RB on the right plays.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Thomas is still the man at WR on that team... see last week as example. It's not an evaluation of their talent, it's who the targets will be. Thomas will definitely get more targets than Decker. He'll be considered the #1 and Decker the #2... even though, yes, Decker is the more complete WR at this point. We'll see if Thomas earns the right to keep things this way, but I'm pretty sure that's how it was last week and how it'll be again.

Actually, mobile QBs usually boost production for RBs. See Vick (both ATL and Philly) and VY with Chris Johnson. Teams need to spy on the QB to make sure they don't run which leaves more room for the RB on the right plays.
Depending on the overall system. I wouldn't compare Vick and Young as far as scrambling QB's go and Chris Johnson was a beast with or without young. Chris Johnson and Mccoy are also two running backs that are amazing in their own right.

Really can't compare Mccoy's production with or without Vick because he only had 4 starts in 2009, the following season Vick was his QB. Young started 9 or 10 games when CJ2k had his 2,000 yard rushing season but I still wouldn't base that on solely on Vince young being the QB. I understand your logic but I still believe with Tebow taking the snaps Mcgahee would end up getting his number called less, especially in goaline situations.

In regards to Knowshon, I wouldn't say he's a bust, but I would definitely say Mcgahee is a better RB when healthy and thats probably not a good thing for a RB in his 3rd season. It would have been interesting to see Mcgahee finish out this season without an injury to see if he could maintain his production (With or Without Tebow).
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
Depending on the overall system. I wouldn't compare Vick and Young as far as scrambling QB's go and Chris Johnson was a beast with or without young. Chris Johnson and Mccoy are also two running backs that are amazing in their own right.

Really can't compare Mccoy's production with or without Vick because he only had 4 starts in 2009, the following season Vick was his QB. Young started 9 or 10 games when CJ2k had his 2,000 yard rushing season but I still wouldn't base that on solely on Vince young being the QB. I understand your logic but I still believe with Tebow taking the snaps Mcgahee would end up getting his number called less, especially in goaline situations.

In regards to Knowshon, I wouldn't say he's a bust, but I would definitely say Mcgahee is a better RB when healthy and thats probably not a good thing for a RB in his 3rd season. It would have been interesting to see Mcgahee finish out this season without an injury to see if he could maintain his production (With or Without Tebow).
Who's comparing Vick and VY?

I'm talking about the Falcons rushing attack mostly (most of Vick's career) and McCoy bc the Eagles are the #1 rushing team right now (and everyone knows Reid doesn't like running the ball). You're definitely kidding yourself if you don't think having Vick back there makes it easier for McCoy to have holes. And if you go back to CJ's 2k yard season, take a look at his numbers before VY started. Either way, it's a fact that dedicating a defender to spy on a QB helps a RB.

The idea that Tebow might still goal line touches makes some sense, but Willis has 1 rushing touchdown right now so not much further down to go. Otherwise, they're only going to call a handful of running plays for Tebow. The rest would be running off broken pass plays, not taking many rushing opportunities away. His ability to run makes the actual rushing opportunities potentially better for a RB though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #22
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Who's comparing Vick and VY?

I'm talking about the Falcons rushing attack mostly (most of Vick's career) and McCoy bc the Eagles are the #1 rushing team right now (and everyone knows Reid doesn't like running the ball). You're definitely kidding yourself if you don't think having Vick back there makes it easier for McCoy to have holes. And if you go back to CJ's 2k yard season, take a look at his numbers before VY started. Either way, it's a fact that dedicating a defender to spy on a QB helps a RB.

The idea that Tebow might still goal line touches makes some sense, but Willis has 1 rushing touchdown right now so not much further down to go. Otherwise, they're only going to call a handful of running plays for Tebow. The rest would be running off broken pass plays, not taking many rushing opportunities away. His ability to run makes the actual rushing opportunities potentially better for a RB though.
I understand your logic. There are still instances where having a QB like Vick back there increases his chances of getting his number called versus having a typical pocket passer and the RB getting his number called. In the two examples you used with the Eagles and the Titans I'm just pointing out that there is not enough evidence in either instance to say that having Young or Vick back there was the reason the RB's had success.

There are analysts that believe having Vick last year hurt McCoys numbers, and the Eagles are number one in rushing this year because the press, analaysts,fans, and radio hosts in the Philadelphia area were destroying Andy Reid last year for not running the ball more. Especially with a guy like McCoy back there.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
MVP

stlpimpmonsta's Arena

OVR: 11

If Denver runs the ball and tebow doesnt F up, they win.Detroit's Run D has been exposed the last 2 weeks(well longer but it wasnt this apparent til the last 2 games) and im sure Denver will run the ball alot now.Also im sure they might run more no huddle and in the spread this game cause it was successful (for 5 minutes) in the miami game.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #24
Bob Loblaw

Jonsco28's Arena

OVR: 8

Another thing that can't be over-looked in this one is that Denver's home field advantage is going to factor once again. Tebow has rejuvenated the energy back into the Denver fans. They will be loud, and I think it's definitely going to play a part.....as long as Denver stays in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »