Home

Aaron Rodgers 2011; Are we witnessing the greatest year by an NFL QB?

This is a discussion on Aaron Rodgers 2011; Are we witnessing the greatest year by an NFL QB? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #73
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Aaron Rodgers 2011; Are we witnessing the greatest year by an NFL QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_maz_ing
Well it finally happened guys: 23-34 for 299 yards, 8.79 ypa, 67.6% completion, 3 TDs to 1 Int and 112.3 passer rating.
He finally fell off lol

Still has a streak of games for QB ratings above 110.

He's human like the rest of the league.

Yeah, I caught your lol, know what you are saying.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #74
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
It's NovaStar.

Rodgers could be averaging 15 yards per attempt and 5 TDs a game against a lineup of the 1970s Steelers, 1985 Chicago, 2000 Baltimore, and 2002 Tampa, and he'd still take Brady over him.
Lol! Chip, you got that right! Serioulsy though, I would have to see more from AR before I give him the nod over Brady and Peyton. Of the New school however, it is definitely AR and Brees.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #75
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

For those pointing at Brady's 2007 year (besides NovaStar, lol), also consider that as good as Jennings is he is in no way, shape or form Randy Moss. Pairing Brady with Moss was just unfair as soon as he signed on the dotted line. And we now can clearly see that Welker is beyond studly in his own right and would easily be ranked even back then much higher than whoever you want to call the #2 on GB right now (even though Nelson is certainly emerging). I'm not sure it's fair to say the Packers have more weapons than the Pats back then with Moss playing at a high level alone. I haven't gone game by game but I also think there were more cases of the Pats not only beating teams into the ground but putting a grenade in their mouth and blowing their head's off when they're already up 20. In short, there was some serious stat padding going on in a lot of those games. Rodgers stats have been pretty much when needed this year, which should hold a bit more weight.

If the end of this year comes with AR having almost identical passing stats to Brady and the team at 16-0 I don't think there's a question who had the better season, considering the Moss factor and the additional rushing ability and stats Rodgers brings... but we're not even at that point just yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #76
Banned

a_maz_ing's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Lol! Chip, you got that right! Serioulsy though, I would have to see more from AR before I give him the nod over Brady and Peyton. Of the New school however, it is definitely AR and Brees.
Give him the nod as being better right now or overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
For those pointing at Brady's 2007 year (besides NovaStar, lol), also consider that as good as Jennings is he is in no way, shape or form Randy Moss. Pairing Brady with Moss was just unfair as soon as he signed on the dotted line. And we now can clearly see that Welker is beyond studly in his own right and would easily be ranked even back then much higher than whoever you want to call the #2 on GB right now (even though Nelson is certainly emerging). I'm not sure it's fair to say the Packers have more weapons than the Pats back then with Moss playing at a high level alone. I haven't gone game by game but I also think there were more cases of the Pats not only beating teams into the ground but putting a grenade in their mouth and blowing their head's off when they're already up 20. In short, there was some serious stat padding going on in a lot of those games. Rodgers stats have been pretty much when needed this year, which should hold a bit more weight.

If the end of this year comes with AR having almost identical passing stats to Brady and the team at 16-0 I don't think there's a question who had the better season, considering the Moss factor and the additional rushing ability and stats Rodgers brings... but we're not even at that point just yet.
I completely agree, a motivated Moss is an automatic double team and even then he still makes great catches.
Rodgers being able to run just gives him a whole other dynamic. I think if he keeps up his pace and breaks either the completion % record and/or the passing yards record, there is no doubt AR's season goes down as top ten all time.
It is really the golden age of passing, what with 4 and possibly 5 of the best QB seasons happening this decade.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #77
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_maz_ing
Give him the nod as being better right now or overall?

I completely agree, a motivated Moss is an automatic double team and even then he still makes great catches.
Rodgers being able to run just gives him a whole other dynamic. I think if he keeps up his pace and breaks either the completion % record and/or the passing yards record, there is no doubt AR's season goes down as top ten all time.
It is really the golden age of passing, what with 4 and possibly 5 of the best QB seasons happening this decade.
What up Wharton. It depends on what you guys mean by playing better. Also, when considering the Moss/Welker factor, we should also include the Brady factor.

Playing Better:

On the surface, I could see why some would say that AR is playing better than TB, however, if you look at the two closely, I don't know if it is that clear cut. I tend to look at the quality of defensive competition and how the qb's are being played by the top D-coordinators.

Brady has played against Pitts (Lebeu), Jets twice (Ryan), San Diego (who's d was ranked 1 last yr, Pat played them out of the gate), Dallas (Ryan), and the Giants. Each of these defenses go out of their normal defensive rythms to taylor there d's specifically for Brady and the Pats offense. So every time Brady plays a top d or any d for that matter, he is facing exotic fronts, or schemes that have never been used before by that defense (see Pitts). Yet in the face of these defenses Brady has lead his team to the go ahead td to win the game (except against Pitts, where he did not get the ball back), whether his teams D holds on to maintain that lead is a different story.

AR has faced the Chicago Bears thus far this year. That would be the only D that I would say is top notch. I have yet to see AR face any exotic defenses that alter the way they play to stop his offense. So, although he is having an overall better statistical year, I would not necessarily say that he is playing better.

Moss, Welker, Brady

We all know the story, Moss was washed up, nobody wanted him, the Raiders got rid of him for a mere 4th rd draft pick. He got with Brady, the rest is history. How many of us knew that Welker had been released by two different teams before he came to the Pats? He was first cut by the Chargers, who had heard of him? He then was released/traded by the dolphins, again, who had heard of him? He got with Brady the rest his history. The point, it could be argued that Brady is the reason that both welker and Moss had those great years since 2007. It all depends on what you see.

As far as bettter weapons, in 2007 (their first season together), Brady had Moss, Welker, Gaffney and Stallworth, RB Maroney. AR has Driver, Jennings, Finley, the 2 other receivers, who's names escape me and a superior RB (by the way, you can't double team any of these wr's because they all are above avg). I would say that AR has more weapons than TB did in 2007.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #78
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

Moss in 07 >> all of GBs wrs

Sent from Jesus EVO
Old 11-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #79
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar

AR has faced the Chicago Bears thus far this year. That would be the only D that I would say is top notch. I have yet to see AR face any exotic defenses that alter the way they play to stop his offense. So, although he is having an overall better statistical year, I would not necessarily say that he is playing better.
Personally, I don't think you can wrap yourself around the defensive theory that much, though. Let's face it, the Packers won the SB last year. Teams are gunning for them from the get go, whether it's a good defense or not.

The Saints have one of the brilliant defensive minds in football and he blitzed Rodgers like crazy. Under those conditions, you still need to outperform the blitz or you are dead in the water.

Tampa Bay was ranked 30th in defense and they played the Packers tough on pass defense. They denied Greg Jennings the ball and played perimeter defense.

Rodgers ended up with below 300yds passing and 1 interception and his throws were off. Arguably, his worst performance of the season.

I'm not saying that going up against tough defenses shouldn't enter into the equation, but on any given Sunday, anything that can happen, will happen. Even Ryan's brother admitted after a game he planned poorly for the game and were out-coached and they got their butts kicked.

I wouldn't take anything away from Rodgers just because of the defenses they are playing. The Packers have a target on their backs with being SB champs and undefeated. Every team takes it up a notch against the Packers.

Edit- Didn't see your weaponry comment at the end.

Driver is one step slower and isn't featured in the offense, Randall Cobb is taking up his place. I'm sure Driver will be retiring. You mentioned you can't double team any of the wr's, but Jennings have been double covered the last 2 out of 3 games, which has been giving Jordy Nelson open looks. Forget James Jones, he dropped a pass this week and isn't a target of Rodgers.

Please tell me who our superior running back is this year. We don't have a running game this year. Grant has averaged about 7 carries a game and Starks doesn't have 600yds rushing? Sorry, we are an offense that relies on the pass. Maroney much better than our options currently.

These receivers don't add up to HOF Moss and and the rest of Brady's weapons.

Last edited by roadman; 11-22-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #80
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Yea that's the part I didn't get either because Jennings has been doubled quite a few times while Finley is double teamed every single time, hence why you've seen Jordy Nelson continuing his play from last year into this year. Don't even know why anyone is comparing 07 Moss to our WRs because that's a ridiculous comparison that shouldn't be even made.

Quote:
I would say that AR has more weapons than TB did in 2007.
I don't think anybody would argue this.

The ONLY issue I have is when people basically say those guys make Rodgers look better than he actually is.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 11-22-2011 at 12:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »