Home

NFL Rules

This is a discussion on NFL Rules within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NFL Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
You're looking at that on the surface. Bennett was fined for wearing the cleats so what's he do? He wears them the very next game. He gets fined again and then makes a statement that basically said he was going to wear them again.

90% of the cases where there's an issue it's not about the rule itself but people irrationally insistent on breaking the rule... especially when the penalty is a fine that's a drop in the bucket for guys. We can talk about rules we don't like but I think we should also talk about players that knowing and willingly break rules. Whether you like em or not, if they are the rules then you should follow them. Especially something as stupid as changing the color of your cleats.
Bolded the most important part. Like you said, the rules may be a bit silly at times, but they are still rules. These guys are trying to play the victim, but they're the ones breaking the rules! When you break the rules in life or even in the game, you are penalized. Same deal here.

You can't let one player get away with it, because then they will all try to get around the rules. I don't know if it's in place, but the NFL should allow for a player to apply for a free pass on a uniform issue for a game or something if there's a special circumstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
Bolded the most important part. Like you said, the rules may be a bit silly at times, but they are still rules. These guys are trying to play the victim, but they're the ones breaking the rules! When you break the rules in life or even in the game, you are penalized. Same deal here.

You can't let one player get away with it, because then they will all try to get around the rules. I don't know if it's in place, but the NFL should allow for a player to apply for a free pass on a uniform issue for a game or something if there's a special circumstance.
That's not a bad idea. I know some players just do it and pay the fine with the price being worth it to honor their friend, teammate, family member, etc. But I think that would separate situations of players with a sense of entitlement and those wanting to make an acceptable statement. I honestly don't know Bennett's story... I'd think he's in the wrong either way though. One game, could be worth investigating the reason. Two games and an attempt at a third? He's just being an ***.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Don't get it twisted guys, I'm not upset that he got fined and that he'd be thrown out for breaking the rule again. As you guys said, rules are rules. My complaint is the fact that this kind of stuff is a rule in the first place. I get not wanting guys to wear certain slogans and symbols as tributes and stuff like that or doing something too outrageous that could have some form of backlash on the league. This is talking about solid color shoes and sock lengths and **** though. It's okay to wear orange shoes, if black is the primary color for team shoes? Socks being 1/2 an inch too high and all this other ridiculous ****? This kind of stuff is overkill for a place where the majority of their clintele are rocking jeans and t-shirts and just anything but a professional look.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Don't get it twisted guys, I'm not upset that he got fined and that he'd be thrown out for breaking the rule again. As you guys said, rules are rules. My complaint is the fact that this kind of stuff is a rule in the first place. I get not wanting guys to wear certain slogans and symbols as tributes and stuff like that or doing something too outrageous that could have some form of backlash on the league. This is talking about solid color shoes and sock lengths and **** though. It's okay to wear orange shoes, if black is the primary color for team shoes? Socks being 1/2 an inch too high and all this other ridiculous ****? This kind of stuff is overkill for a place where the majority of their clintele are rocking jeans and t-shirts and just anything but a professional look.
So since I work at an online retailer, and because people can shop in their underwear at home... we shouldn't have a dress code at work?

People can try and present edge cases and rationale, but when it comes down to it there is a rule, it was broken, then broken again, and was going to be broken again. At some point the punishment has to escalate to discourage the repeated activity.

Feel free to point out anyone fined for 'socks being 1/2 inch too high' btw.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Uniforms need to be... well, uniform. When the product is being viewed from a distance, they want it to look a certain way. It makes sense, and it doesn't really matter if it seems excessive. Every team has a guy that basically dresses everyone. Let that guy do his job and there is no problem. It's not like players are having trouble keeping up with all the rules, they're having problem with not being able to wear something different to stand out from everyone else. I've got no sympathy for that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »