Home

How Do You Play Defense in the NFL Now?

This is a discussion on How Do You Play Defense in the NFL Now? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: How Do You Play Defense in the NFL Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
What does this have to do with the Saints?

I'm just clearly stating my view, too many defenders these days going for the big hit all the time,etc.

There's nothing you can do about the penalties, but so many more yards are gained by offenses these days because of terrible tackling.
Because you're a Saints fan and the Saints have a below average defense. It was just a joke, really. lol.

And I do agree with tackling being an issue in the NFL. That Hakeem Nicks touchdown against the Falcons on Sunday is a prime example. He caught the ball in the middle of the field with safeties in front of him and he literally just split the entire defense and ran past them.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 12

You will see an increase in all lower leg injuries, including serious ACL and MCL tears, as defenders deviate from aiming higher.

As for the pass friendly rules, they are a joke. Receivers flailing their arms around the minute someone breathes on them is embarrassing to watch.

This is not the league it once was. Making things safer for the players is a must, but the rules are way too much in favor of the passing game now.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

The Jaquian Williams play was not after the whistle. It was unnecessary in the context if the score and time of the game. That was a pity call.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire
You will see an increase in all lower leg injuries, including serious ACL and MCL tears, as defenders deviate from aiming higher.

As for the pass friendly rules, they are a joke. Receivers flailing their arms around the minute someone breathes on them is embarrassing to watch.

This is not the league it once was. Making things safer for the players is a must, but the rules are way too much in favor of the passing game now.
In defense of the league, the arm flailing isn't getting any extra flags thrown. There are some questionable calls in some of those situations, and the QB crying has gotten an extra flag or two but the WRs crying for a call doesn't usually amount to anything.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

I'm almost certain the arm flailing gets extra flags thrown because otherwise if the QB throws a ball that a WR knows he has no realistic chance of catching and he just lets it go then it's no flag. But if the WR knows he has a chance to draw a Defensive PI in a situation like that, then he'll toss up his arms and the flag will be thrown.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
I'm almost certain the arm flailing gets extra flags thrown because otherwise if the QB throws a ball that a WR knows he has no realistic chance of catching and he just lets it go then it's no flag. But if the WR knows he has a chance to draw a Defensive PI in a situation like that, then he'll toss up his arms and the flag will be thrown.
I disagree. I will say that a WR can notice a defender isn't looking at the ball when it's in the air and they'll stop short to initiate contact which would draw a flag... or a WR runs his route directly into a defender and stays tangled enough to get a flag... things like that that we can call BS on. But I really don't remember times when a WR looked at a ref throwing his hands up and complaining about not getting a call and a flag comes out (without a replay showing there was some kind of holding going on). I've seen some phantom PI calls too, but just don't really remember them coming from a WR flailing his arms, just bad refereeing.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Tackling is only going to get worse. They can't practice in pads, they can't hit.

They may as well change the rules where you can't run after catching a pass as you can't hit a WR until they have 2 feet on the ground. Then just put a time limit on how long the QB can hold the ball and drop all defenders into coverage.

That is where the NFL is headed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #16
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Tackling is only going to get worse. They can't practice in pads, they can't hit.

They may as well change the rules where you can't run after catching a pass as you can't hit a WR until they have 2 feet on the ground. Then just put a time limit on how long the QB can hold the ball and drop all defenders into coverage.

That is where the NFL is headed.
As seen in the rest of the thread and in the post above, all the exaggeration and absolutes make this a difficult subject to even discuss.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »