Home

How Do You Play Defense in the NFL Now?

This is a discussion on How Do You Play Defense in the NFL Now? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: How Do You Play Defense in the NFL Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
In defense of the league, the arm flailing isn't getting any extra flags thrown. There are some questionable calls in some of those situations, and the QB crying has gotten an extra flag or two but the WRs crying for a call doesn't usually amount to anything.
I was commenting on how embarrassing it looks. It was never this bad before. The receivers know the rules are heavily slanted their way, and have developed this trend that looks like it is here to stay.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

The biggest problem with defense isn't the rules, it's the lack of tackling. The players either aren't listening or the coaches just aren't doing a good job of teaching players how to tackle. All I see are guys trying to throw their heads and shoulders into guys, which leads to penalties, instead of just wrapping somebody up and making sure he goes down. There's no reason to launch your body at a guy to get a big hit when all it leads to is potential injuries and penalties.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Next Miami Great

iAM-IncReDiBLe-'s Arena

OVR: 34
I agree but a lot of times those big hits where to make a WR think twice about going over the middle an giving him alligator arms. It's a mind game because for a lot of wrs if they feel they are going to get hit hard them might lose concentration an drop the ball. That's a part of the game we lose. It may be small but it was still a part of the game.

Sent from Jesus EVO
Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Pro

dramachild11's Arena

OVR: 7

the job of a defender isnt just to make the tackle, the other objective is to seperate the ball from whoever has it (this is the reason that defenders launch themselves at wr's in mid-air)... this will not stop for at least another 5 years or so because since these guys were kids they've been taught that pretty much ALL kinds of hits are just fine, james harrison is a perfect example of this... the league has taken the physical intimidation factor away from the defense
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire
I was commenting on how embarrassing it looks. It was never this bad before. The receivers know the rules are heavily slanted their way, and have developed this trend that looks like it is here to stay.
Yep, I agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAM-IncReDiBLe-
I agree but a lot of times those big hits where to make a WR think twice about going over the middle an giving him alligator arms. It's a mind game because for a lot of wrs if they feel they are going to get hit hard them might lose concentration an drop the ball. That's a part of the game we lose. It may be small but it was still a part of the game.

Sent from Jesus EVO
Yeah, and there is still a window for those kind of hits but to be safe the defender has to go below the waist. That hit Harrison put on Decker was a perfect example of what I see in the future. Clean and legal... and extremely dangerous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #22
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramachild11
the job of a defender isnt just to make the tackle, the other objective is to seperate the ball from whoever has it (this is the reason that defenders launch themselves at wr's in mid-air)... this will not stop for at least another 5 years or so because since these guys were kids they've been taught that pretty much ALL kinds of hits are just fine, james harrison is a perfect example of this... the league has taken the physical intimidation factor away from the defense
James Harrison is NOT a perfect example of that. The Decker hit is the first one he's made that I'd say is "perfectly" fine. All others are questionable at best and his refusal to adjust at all is basically admitting that he doesn't care about the new rules.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #23
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
James Harrison is NOT a perfect example of that. The Decker hit is the first one he's made that I'd say is "perfectly" fine. All others are questionable at best and his refusal to adjust at all is basically admitting that he doesn't care about the new rules.
Your and my fears are the same here. As well as WR's around the league. They can still play that year with concussions (for the most part). Can't play with blown ACL's. And I'm not saying concussions aren't a bigger deal. Long term, it is a bigger deal than an ACL.

What I couldn't believe is that there was actually talk about him being fined for that hit... serious talk.

Now, I can't stand James Harrison. I don't hate a lot of things... I hate him. He is one of the dirtiest players in the game, bar none. He is also a moron, but that's a different story.

But if they were to fine him, it would be an utter travesty. What's he supposed to do? Though, I think him going that low like that was a kind of sarcastic thing to do. But he did do what was asked, so....
Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #24
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Tackling is only going to get worse. They can't practice in pads, they can't hit.
Who says you have to wear pads to tackle someone? Rugby players should be brought in to teach these guys how to tackle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »