Home

NFL Considering Expansion

This is a discussion on NFL Considering Expansion within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #41
Working for the weekend

Herky's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NFL Considering Expansion

Expansion would lower the quality of football. See baseball and pitchers.

I think the NFL has the right amount of teams as is.

Iowa Hawkeyes
Northern Iowa Panthers
Minnesota Vikings
Chicago Cubs
Minnesota Twins
Boston Celtics
Minnesota Timberwolves
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #42
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

32 is perfect IMO.

And with it staying at 32, I'd love to see a playoff qualification system that scrapped wildcards, and simply allowed the first two teams from every division make the playoffs, where the first round is 2nd place @ 1st place in divisional battles (guess the "divisional" playoff round would be bumped up a week). One crazy weekend of pure divisional rivalries? I'd love it. Look at what the matchups would have been this year and tell me you wouldn't have watched every game. Plus it means every team has to win 3 in a row to make the Superbowl - which I think is fair.

But I have a feeling neither this system or a 32 team league is happening - expansion = $$$.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #43
MVP

Shibito's Arena

OVR: 0

If its 32, LA and OKC would be my picks. If 34, add Toronto and Vancouver. If 36, add Quebec and Calgary or Winnipeg.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #44
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Good to know.
If(big if) this was to happen, when might it happen.
I know LA is close/almost done having their stadium ready, but I dont know if another city is ready.
I would still watch it without any hesitiation.
If it were to happen, it's still years away. I'd imagine 2016 or 2017 would be the absolute earliest there would be any teams added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibito
If its 32, LA and OKC would be my picks. If 34, add Toronto and Vancouver. If 36, add Quebec and Calgary or Winnipeg.
If the league wanted to do two waves, then maybe two Canadian cities would get the nod together. However, they aren't going to add 4 teams in one shot. Won't happen. I think Toronto would have a very, very good shot at getting a team. When the NFL decided to expand last, the three cities in consideration were Houston, Los Angeles, and Toronto.

Relocation is still an option too. There are teams that may be moving. The Bills and Vikings are two, and the Jaguars are another, though their lease is VERY difficult to get out of. The Bills' lease is up at the end of next season, and they've been long rumored to be considering Toronto.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #45
Haterade Drinker

untrugby's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
And with it staying at 32, I'd love to see a playoff qualification system that scrapped wildcards, and simply allowed the first two teams from every division make the playoffs, where the first round is 2nd place @ 1st place in divisional battles (guess the "divisional" playoff round would be bumped up a week). One crazy weekend of pure divisional rivalries? I'd love it. Look at what the matchups would have been this year and tell me you wouldn't have watched every game. Plus it means every team has to win 3 in a row to make the Superbowl - which I think is fair.
no way id want to see that many teams make the playoffs. you would pretty much guarantee an 8-8 team would make it each year and you would average a 7-9 or 6-10 team making it every year. also just looking at this year the matchups would be very good, 5 out of the 8 division winners beat the 2nd place team both times and the other 3 split 1-1 but 2 of those had different QBs when they lost. If the division winners got to play at home id predict a sweep for the division winners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #46
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by untrugby
no way id want to see that many teams make the playoffs. you would pretty much guarantee an 8-8 team would make it each year and you would average a 7-9 or 6-10 team making it every year. also just looking at this year the matchups would be very good, 5 out of the 8 division winners beat the 2nd place team both times and the other 3 split 1-1 but 2 of those had different QBs when they lost. If the division winners got to play at home id predict a sweep for the division winners.
Not to mention the scenario is already roughly in place, with everyone playing division games the last two weeks of the season resulting in tons of playoff implications whether a wild card is at stake or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #47
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
If the NFL expanded to 36 teams, I wouldn't watch anymore.

That is way, way, WAY too much.
32 is already way too much. I doubt you would notice the difference from 32 to 36.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #48
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isura
32 is already way too much. I doubt you would notice the difference from 32 to 36.
Pretty sure I would, considering I can notice that 32 is way too much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »