Home

Should the NFL Ditch Intentional Grounding?

This is a discussion on Should the NFL Ditch Intentional Grounding? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Should the NFL Ditch Intentional Grounding?
Yes, get rid of it 3 4.69%
No, keep it 61 95.31%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #49
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
I wish I'd used a different example than Brady because I wasn't hinting that it was a bad call. Like you said, the Giants won that play, Brady threw it away to avoid the sack/safety, which is intentional grounding and was called correctly, I'm agreeing with the call.

This has been a rule I've wondered about for a long time, I didn't create the thread because of the Brady play. I hope I'm not confusing anyone.
I getcha...what I am overall referring to is that I don't want to see a game of football where the QB can throw in the "white towell" so-to-speak by virtue of throwing the ball away.

Sure...as you mentioned, throwing the ball away is a wasted down, and by that standard a negative play, but the defense is hurt because they were negated an opportunity to make an even bigger play....a turnover on a sack/fumble or a just sack that in both cases would/could yield better field position.

I like intentional grounding for these very reasons, and I believe that keeps the game competitive and fair.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Should the NFL Ditch Intentional Grounding?

Quote:
It just bugs me how the rule works. I don't know the real reason it was implemented as a rule, but it essentially forces the QB to attempt to make a play, which led to more QB injuries, which in turn led to more rules about how & where you are allowed to hit the QB. It's just getting out of control to me.
IMO, what's out of control is how the QB is almost immune any hit harder than a rough hug.

It was even worse when a finger touching the helmet was auto-15 yd penalty.

That's what's out of control. Not the fact that the QB can just throw it to any patch of grass in front of him just to give up on a play.

He can always escape the pocket and throw it away.

Quote:
Why is it that during a screen play, the QB can see that the defense isn't fooled, and is allowed to throw it in the dirt near his feet. He's clearly not attempting to make a play, but it's accepted as a legal play.
Because that's the rule, so it's legal.

Just like it's stupid that if a DB pushes a WR 6 yds past the LOS, it's "illegal contact" but 5 yds and it's "okay, play on".

Quote:
Or like I mentioned earlier, when a QB is in imminent danger and is trying to get rid of a ball to make a play, but the defender has him in his sites and he can't get off a good pass to the intended receiver and the ball just kinda flops to the ground, based on the rules that's a flag, because he was in the pocket and his attempt didn't get to the line of scrimmage and there was no receiver in the area.
If he just lobbed over the DL's head it absolutely should be a flag. That's the kind of crap the rule is designed to stop. That should be a sack or he should have to scramble. If he's winding up to throw and gets his arm hit - I don't think that ever would draw a flag, even if the ball landed one foot forward.

Quote:
Plus the earlier point about throwing it over a receivers head on the sideline and into the stands.
It's "near" an eligible receiver. Or perhaps more correctly stated "in the direction of" a eligible receiver. Just because the QB actually has to aim in the general direction instead of just where ever doesn't mean the rule is bad.

Quote:
So what is the point of the penalty? Force the QB to try and make a play right? Instead the QB just finds legal ways to NOT make a play, while still protected by the "can't hit him high or low" rules.
And what's wrong with that? There's legal ways to do everything on the field, including throwing the ball away.

I agree that the QB is "over-protected" by the "how you can hit him" rules, but that doesn't mean the QB should just be able to throw the football into any open space to kill the play.

Quote:
It has made it even easier on them. Why not just get rid of the rules about hitting qb's , and make them fair game again, while reducing the penalty for intentional grounding, so a QB has to protect himself, instead of having the league do it for him.
How does intentional grounding make QB play easier? Because he can throw it towards a receiver? So it would be harder if he could just throw into some empty spot as long as it's one yd past the line?

The QB can protect himself by throwing the ball away legally, escaping the pocket, or if he fears getting hit that much, brace for the hit.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

I wish I could lock my own thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #52
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Quote:
Tell a moderator to!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #53
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Too late. You have already unleashed the passion of the intentional grounding rule.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »