Home

NFL Off Topic

This is a discussion on NFL Off Topic within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #5097
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NFL Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
I've heard this many times on this forum and still don't understand the logic.

For one, this isn't baseball-style sabermetric analysis on an individual level. This is team analysis using the pretty simple concept of margin of victory, adjusted for strength of schedule. MOV + SOS is the basis of any advanced team ranking system in any sport.

Buffalo grades out well in both systems because they had a +111 point differential while playing a set of collectively good opponents. The AFC East in 2004 was a brutally tough division.
I just remember that Bills team as being something like .500 through 10 or so games. I remember getting on a roll and then that damn PIT game.

We were hot. Any mediocrity we showed through the first half of the season we corrected, only to shrivel up & die when the pressure was at its top. Doesn't surprise me we graded out well overall.

But that's the type of scenario that will still see the Bills make it had this proposed format be in place. I don't mind rewarding a team that went like 5-1 down the stretch or whatever we pulled off in the second half of that season. That's just my stance on it, "everyone gets a ribbon" mentality I support here. I just love seeing playoff games.

PPM is probably right though, they're going to expand it to 8 teams per conference eventually. Might as well get it over with, maximize those profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #5098
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Today I learned something new:

Rasean Mathis was taken out of the game after a head injury in today's game. Detroit's doctors cleared him. He still wasn't able to return to the field however, because Chicago's doctors did not clear him. They had final say because they responded first.

Did not know the other team's docs could have control like that.

What? There's no way that can possibly be correct...is there? That's ****ing ridiculous if that's true.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #5099
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
What? There's no way that can possibly be correct...is there? That's ****ing ridiculous if that's true.
I agree, that sounds very fishy and an easy way for opposing teams to manipulate the outcome of games.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 09-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #5100
Banned

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
You can't use those weird advanced stats in football it just doesn't work out. I know there are all kinds of stats out there, but football is one of those sports where what you see tells you way more then what some computer is going to tell you.
People used to say the same thing about baseball not too long ago and now EVERY team in MLB uses advanced stats and sabermetrics in their scouting systems.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #5101

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
People used to say the same thing about baseball not too long ago and now EVERY team in MLB uses advanced stats and sabermetrics in their scouting systems.
Baseball is a much more individualized game where your performance (save for some counting stats) doesn't rely on your teammates performances. It's much easier (and more worthwhile) to quantify Baseball through advanced metrics.

That's not to say they are worthless in football, but definitely not something to base arguments around.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #5102
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Individually, I think that advanced metrics work very well. But team stats don't tell much as far as being able to see what's coming.

I like them, but they need more refining. I will say, the Browns are supposedly really big into them right now, and they are seeing results on the field with their players using them.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #5103
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Edit: late

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 09-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #5104
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

SOS is only most effective when it's used in proper context, especially since it relies on factors out of your team's control.

I'm a fan of advanced stats but even they can only go so far(just like "regular" stats)when there's no context involved, especially in the NFL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »