Home

R.I.P. Junior Seau 1969-2012

This is a discussion on R.I.P. Junior Seau 1969-2012 within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #57
BOOM!

gerg1234's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: R.I.P. Junior Seau 1969-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
Yes.

I'm not saying for definitely that's what's going on here, but that's exactly what happened with Dave Duerson.
He may not have been thinking about brain research when he did what he did. It's Samoan custom for the family to see the body ASAP, so he very well may have shot himself in the chest so his family can see his face.
San Francisco Giants
Chicago Blackhawks
MLS: Portland Timbers
EPL: Liverpool FC
Old 05-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 22

press conference here http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/02/junior.../#.T6GG9FKE6Sp

Juniors mom got on the mic ..man the pain coming from her was unbearable..i had to turn it off for a second. I feel real bad for his family now..sucide is never a good thing..NEVER..because his family and friends and fans will now greatly suffer..i just wish he could of reached out first man
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #59
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Seeing his mother breakdown was horrible. I can only imagine what it must be like for a parent to lose a child, especially like that. Marcellus Wiley is talking about him on ESPN now and getting pretty emotional. Sad day for football fans.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
You know there's scientific proof that these sort of repeated head injuries lead to permanent brain trauma, that has been heavily linked to suicide and depression in people other than athletes, yes?
The New York Times did a great feature on brain trauma after several hockey tough guys died last summer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sp...pagewanted=all

I recommend every sports fan read that series and watch the video feature.

Last edited by jyoung; 05-02-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #61
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan Superman
Having gone through depression, you have different thoughts, and you rationalize things differently.
I remember when I was going through depression and was contemplating suicide. I had even drafted a letter telling my parents what to do and where my possessions should go. Indeed, you rationalize things very differently when you're in the cloud of depression.

This is truly a sad day no matter what was going through his mind.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #62
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Wow, who would have thought Seau would have died before Ryan Leaf? During the Leaf mess I kept thinking about Junior breaking up a locker room confrontation between Leaf and a reporter.

RIP
Old 05-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #63
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

RIP Seau.

If this is due to the head injuries that occur to players after they laave the game, then yes im all for player safety to the highest degree.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #64
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I have no problem with making the game safer. It's necessary for it to survive and not end up like boxing. It's the way they're going about it. There was a writer on jaguars.com (he's with the Packers site now, I believe) that had a great thought, that I agree with. The bigger we make helmets and facemasks, and the more padding we put on them, the more people will use them as a weapon. I played football in high school, and then used to play (hard) tackle football with friends every weekend after high school. I never got diagnosed with a concussion (this was 10 years ago), but I got my "bell rung" more playing with a helmet than without. So take it for what it's worth.
Same experience. Only played one year of organized football, on high school. More bell-ringing moments in that one season then in 7 years of playing hard tackle football every weekend with friends.

On topic, just finished writing a paper on concussion in sports today... This news only backs up the point that something must be done. Enforcement of rules AND medical procedure. We saw examples of obviously concussive hits on guys, and they continued to play. Colt McCoy, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »