Home

Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 3
As someone who has played, I can vouch for his conduct regarding safety. It hurts to get hit in the thigh and knees with pretty hard equipment every day and every week.

As for kickoffs, it was part of the game before. It does nothing to compromise the safety of the players no more than punt returns or even running regular plays. In that respect, he has gone too far. Now, for the Pro Bowl... it's needless. There is no point in having it considering that it's just a farce anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 48
Roger Goodell, is doing what he paid to do; and that is to make the League lots of money!!!! And keep a negative light off of the NFL. Wearing more pads, and changing more rules (safety concerns), and taking away kickoffs; will not change anything much; why, because American football is a full contact sport; and injuries happen on every play in a game or at practice. Once your body has been injured, you may not feel the pain now, but later on in your life after football. Our bodies naturally break down over time, and playing extreme sports with lots of contact breaks it down faster. That is why players are looking for huge contracts, to take care of them for the after football years, where they will need more extra care. The competition committee makes all of the rule changes anyways, so Goodell can focus on the PR of the league, and large lawsuits against. nuff said.

cheers
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 2
The guy is ruining the game in my opinion. If he really cared about "player safety" then why did he try to introduce an 18 game regular season? I'll tell you why, because he's all about generating more money. That's cool and all because the NFL is a business, but don't try to feed us this BS about "player safety first" when you know it's all about the almighty dollar. It's really sad that SOME retired players are having it really bad, but let's be honest, they currently get paid millions to lay it all on the line and no one's forcing them to play this game. There's a spot right here in my office for one of them if they're willing to take a 80% pay DECREASE lol. Goodell is all about the PR at this point and he really stuck it to the Saints to show everyone outside of football that this is not a blood sport. Meanwhile Belicheck gets caught cheating and gets a slap on the wrist. Give me a break!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #28
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

It's a very hard balancing act.

Getting rid of kick-off's I wouldn't be too bothered about, there only fun when the receiving team scores anyway.

The whole thing with the pads I'm totally with. That doesn't take away from the entertainment factor. It just means players body's will hopefully stay together longer.

With the whole concussion thing as well, should it be made so all teams/players must wear the more modern helmets? Like the newer Revo one's? Obviously all helmets are designed with good protection, but I can only assume to more modern helmets such as the Revo's are the better helmet.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 2
Until the commissioner releases the evidence pertaining to the players in New Orleans, my verdict is still out on whether he is overreaching or not. Note: the films from spy gate and the Patriots were never released to the public and there seems to be differing perspectives about the manner in which Goodell handled Gregg Williams and his said bounty system with Saints players.

Safety should be priority, though the millions of dollars the NFL is being sued for by former players definitely puts a swing on recent changes and rumors. The enforcing of pads is part safety, part covering their behinds after being ignorant to the fact players haven't been wearing them for decades. And I wouldn't put it past Goodell and the NFL to remove the kickoff years down the road after nerfing it last season into one of the dullest plays in the game. Once fans forget the nerfing (the spot of the ball has moved back and forth overtime), it wouldn't surprise me if the common fan would be the one begging for its removal!

My ONE big beef with Commissioner Goodell is he suspends Jonathan Vilma for a year without showing proof (for now), yet an athlete who's found GUILTY of a crime outside of the game can receive little to no punishment. "Role models" such as Cedric Benson, received 20 days in prison for assault before last season but NO punishment by the Commish. When you're paid to play a game being watched by millions all over the world, a higher standard comes with the territory. And it should be equal.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarnugskiN
Until the commissioner releases the evidence pertaining to the players in New Orleans, my verdict is still out on whether he is overreaching or not. Note: the films from spy gate and the Patriots were never released to the public and there seems to be differing perspectives about the manner in which Goodell handled Gregg Williams and his said bounty system with Saints players.

Safety should be priority, though the millions of dollars the NFL is being sued for by former players definitely puts a swing on recent changes and rumors. The enforcing of pads is part safety, part covering their behinds after being ignorant to the fact players haven't been wearing them for decades. And I wouldn't put it past Goodell and the NFL to remove the kickoff years down the road after nerfing it last season into one of the dullest plays in the game. Once fans forget the nerfing (the spot of the ball has moved back and forth overtime), it wouldn't surprise me if the common fan would be the one begging for its removal!

My ONE big beef with Commissioner Goodell is he suspends Jonathan Vilma for a year without showing proof (for now), yet an athlete who's found GUILTY of a crime outside of the game can receive little to no punishment. "Role models" such as Cedric Benson, received 20 days in prison for assault before last season but NO punishment by the Commish. When you're paid to play a game being watched by millions all over the world, a higher standard comes with the territory. And it should be equal.
Goodell said all evidence will be released once appeals have been exhausted, and Cedric Benson was suspended 3 days, but that was complicated by the whole lockout side deal where the NFLPA allowed specific players to be punished, and in the end served a 1 game suspension.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #31
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20
I think getting rid of kickoffs is insane. As far as making players where pads, it's about time. I think Goodell is doing a fairly good job with things for the most part. He is in a tough spot. Trying to clean up dirty hits and such, and the players complaining if they get fined. Then on the other hand he has retired players suing the league for hits they took for years. Tough job he has right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Goodell said all evidence will be released once appeals have been exhausted, and Cedric Benson was suspended 3 days, but that was complicated by the whole lockout side deal where the NFLPA allowed specific players to be punished, and in the end served a 1 game suspension.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-made-public/

We'll see, and knowing Goodell this could be accurate to what Florio is saying

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »