Home

Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

This is a discussion on Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

It's an age old debate of safety vs. sanctity. With rumors swirling that the NFL might go as far as eliminating kickoffs, and with knee/thigh pads being required to be worn by players (among many other cases) starting in 2013 the question is simple: is Roger Goodell ruining a once great game by overreaching/dumbing down the game or is he doing the right thing protecting the players?

Sound off!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
I honestly think he may be going too far. I'm all for player safety and all that jazz but to fundamentally change the game by removing kickoffs is lunacy. I mean some players make a name for themselves as return men (Ted Ginn Jr., Devin Hester) and some of those guys wouldn't even make the team if it wasn't for the things they can do to change a game with returns.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
First, I truly don't believe kickoffs are going anywhere. It's nothing more than speculation. And as far as thigh & knee pad requirements, Good. It's not overreaching to require players to where pads that are mandatory at every level BUT NFL level. And Nike or whomever will make those pads very thin and nearly weightless anyway, it'll have zero performance effect and create more safety.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8
First things first...player safety is the priority period. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe that Goodell has the power to implement rules changes single-handedly...isn't that what the competition committee is for? In that case, the answer is a pretty clearcut "No, Goodell is not going to far" since he's not doing this stuff all by himself.

That said, from a fan's perspective, I'd be disappointed to see kickoffs disappear. Most of them are fairly dull but when you get a good one, it can be one of the most exciting plays in the game and can be a real momentum changer. On top of that, I'd be worried that they would remove punt returns eventually, too. As the linked NBC piece mentions, this would likely have a significant impact on the idea of an onside kick. I would assume that something would need to replace it but, if not, a lot of fans will be turning off their sets at the 2 minute warning if there is more than a touchdown spread, especially if the losing team has less than their full compliment of timeouts.

As for the pads, I'm fine with that. It doesn't really matter much to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Sound Off: Is Roger Goodell Going Too Far?

At the end of the day, it is for the betterment of the league.

Whether it is to protect players from injury, or to protect the league from legal action.

I'm all for it. We watch the game for entertainment, however, it is sad hearing that former players we adored can barely function in a regular day.

Something needs to be done, and whether the pads make a huge difference is irrelevant, it will make A difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20

Removing Kickoffs is asinine, but mandating pads and if possible mouthpieces I have no problem with that.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
At the end of the day, it is for the betterment of the league.

Whether it is to protect players from injury, or to protect the league from legal action.

I'm all for it. We watch the game for entertainment, however, it is sad hearing that former players we adored can barely function in a regular day.

Something needs to be done, and whether the pads make a huge difference is irrelevant, it will make A difference.
I agree. And I think universally the issue has been more with the "how" rather than the "what" in terms of Goodell's rule changes. So, in that sense, there is an argument for how Goodell isn't handling these things properly but I don't think he's going too far.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm of the mind set that the majority of Goodells decisions are for his own personal ego and his attempt at leaving his mark on the league. Wearing knee pads and thigh pads will have little to no impact on the severe injury's caused to players. I find anything Goodell does to tin regards to player safety suspect, as this was the same guy trying to expand the regular season to 18 games. I also listened to some guy try to explain the other day how wearing mouth guards will significantly decrease concussions which I find to be a little far fetched.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »