Home

John Elway: Manning will be the GOAT if he wins 2 more Super Bowls

This is a discussion on John Elway: Manning will be the GOAT if he wins 2 more Super Bowls within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: John Elway: Manning will be the GOAT if he wins 2 more Super Bowls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsco28
I don't think that's really what he is saying. He's stating that if Manning wins a couple of more SB's, he's got to be considered the GOAT because he did it with two different teams. He's not talking about HOF. Marino is a HOF'er, but he doesn't consider him the GOAT.
I can reword it and still feel the same way. But that's why I put the long disclaimer in there. I understand that switching teams help us eliminate a variable that's simply a hypothetical with other QBs. But I don't feel it should actually cement things. Just looking at players tells plenty. Whether he switched teams or not, if Manning won 2 more SBs he'd be at the top of my list... and should be at the same place on anyone's list as he would be if he switched teams (imo of course).
Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I can reword it and still feel the same way. But that's why I put the long disclaimer in there. I understand that switching teams help us eliminate a variable that's simply a hypothetical with other QBs. But I don't feel it should actually cement things. Just looking at players tells plenty. Whether he switched teams or not, if Manning won 2 more SBs he'd be at the top of my list... and should be at the same place on anyone's list as he would be if he switched teams (imo of course).
Bearing in mind that switching teams wasn't Manning's choice.

But yes, if Manning had stayed in Indy and won two more SBs he'd be #1 in my mind.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Bearing in mind that switching teams wasn't Manning's choice.

But yes, if Manning had stayed in Indy and won two more SBs he'd be #1 in my mind.
That's not the point. In short, switching teams helps US see players from a different angle to create more meat behind arguments of where we think someone shoudl be ranked. But at the end of the day, it shouldn't be the reason someone moves up or down in rankings.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

IMHO no, he will not be "The GOAT" but he will be one of them. I mean for Elway to say that is kinda a shot at Brady, who has played in 5 SB already, and in both the ones he lost was a play here or there from having 5 championships. (Tyree catch, and Welker drop). If Manning were to win two more, he would probably be my 1b to Brady being 1a. Lets not forget that as far as draft position this is all expcected of Manning. Brady has far exceeded expectations for his draft position. (I understand that is of little importance, but it is worth noting.)

Manning spent a lot of time in Indy where they constantly gave him weapons, while Brady's best targets until this last year were Troy Brown, Dion Branch, Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

While no one is ready to proclaim Eli (except himself) one of those guys, there could be a thanksgiving dinner argument that Eli is the best QB in the Manning family, and as long as that defense can get after QBs he has a chance to win 1-3 more before his career is over too.

For me, in order for Peyton to leap frog Brady he would need to win 3 more championships at a minimum, assuming Brady never wins another one.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

It's an interesting discussion for us, but I don't think we should analyze Elway saying it. It's just him showing support for his new guy, and putting some potentially reachable goals on it to get the fans excited.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
Manning spent a lot of time in Indy where they constantly gave him weapons
And the 2011 season gave confirmation to the rest of us how valuable Manning's weapons were.

An otherwise 10-6 division-winning playoff team literally couldn't stay competitive minus Manning and dropped 192 points.

192 points. Largest year-to-year decline in offensive points in NFL history.

Quote:
while Brady's best targets until this last year were Troy Brown, Dion Branch, Randy Moss and Wes Welker.
One of these is not like the other.

Quote:
While no one is ready to proclaim Eli (except himself) one of those guys, there could be a thanksgiving dinner argument that Eli is the best QB in the Manning family, and as long as that defense can get after QBs he has a chance to win 1-3 more before his career is over too.
And this is where you tell your thanksgiving dinner friends thatmeh, **** it. If you can't argue why Peyton Manning is 23423423 times better than Eli, then you're hopeless.

Quote:
For me, in order for Peyton to leap frog Brady he would need to win 3 more championships at a minimum, assuming Brady never wins another one.
So, does this same logic apply to Tim Smith > LaDanian Tomlinson and Troy Brown > Randy Moss?

I mean, Tim Smith rushed for 200+ yards over a span of 60 minutes. That is kind of a big deal.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 08-16-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

I think any QB with at least 2 SB rings would be considered for the HOF at this point. Don't really see much more to read into it than that.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass

So, does this same logic apply to Tim Smith > LaDanian Tomlinson and Troy Brown > Randy Moss?

I mean, Tim Smith rushed for 200+ yards over a span of 60 minutes. That is kind of a big deal.
Those comparisons are just stupid. Are we talking about Tim Smith and Troy Brown's greatness?

No, Manning is a great player and the subject was adding two more championships making him a "the GOAT". So would it not be fair to talk championships?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »