Home

Week 2: Tennessee Titans (0-1) @ San Diego Chargers (1-0)

This is a discussion on Week 2: Tennessee Titans (0-1) @ San Diego Chargers (1-0) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Week 2: Tennessee Titans (0-1) @ San Diego Chargers (1-0)

@

4:25 PM ET|CBS

It's the Chargers vs BK's second-favorite team!

San Diego is coming off an ugly win over divisional rival Oakland on Monday night. The defense and special teams played pretty well but it was the offense that uncharacteristically had a hard time finding the endzone.

The running game for the Super Chargers wasn't very super and Ryan Mathews is probably out for this week as well so it'll be on the backups to get the job done.

With or without a running game, Philip Rivers looked like he's ready to leave his turnover-filled 2011 season in the rear-view mirror avoiding throwing any interceptions.

On the other side of the QB situation for the Titans, Jake Locker separated his non-throwing shoulder but should be good to go for this game.

Speaking of the Titans, they unsurprisingly lost to New England in Week 1. What was surprising though is that it looks like Chris Johnson's awful season last year might not have been a fluke. CJ2K rushed for 4 yards on 11 carries. If he can't turn things around, this could not only be a long game for the Titans, but a long season as well.

Should be interesting to see how these two teams go at each other considering this is the first game they'll be playing post-Jeff Fisher era, and these teams weren't exactly fans of each other during that time.

Last edited by BlueNGold; 09-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Week 2: Tennessee Titans (0-1) @ San Diego Chargers (1-0)

I know it may seem easy to pick on CJ and say he's lost his mojo...but I was at the game, and holy **** the titans o-line had no answer for Wilfork and the other DT on the Pats. Our O-line was embarasses on run plays, evident by Reynaud's lack of yardage too. It's not like he busted out and 15 yard runs either.

CJ looked good receiving... 6 catches, 47 yards. He's still dangerous in space...he just had no space. Credit to the Pats Dline, blame to the Oline of the titans, and I have to question the play calling a bit too.

But anyway, as far as this game is concerned... I guess the organization has written off this season because in my honest opinion, Matt Hasslebeck looked good enough in replacement of Jake Locker to tell me he gives the team a better chance of winning now vs locker. Locker's TD pass was a broken play thrown into triple coverage that somehow found 5'11 Nate Washington. Earlier he threw a duck to Washington that was picked...It's the growing pains, I know.

The big thing is getting Kenny Britt back...he's definitely the type of WR that on a scrambling "broken" play that locker can throw it up and let him get it that may extend drives. Britt can easily have a 2-3 TD game.

But on the flip side, Titans don't seem to have fixed the issue of covering TEs as Gronk and Hernandez had a big game on the titans, and there's no reason for me to believe Gates wont get 9+ catches and a TD or two.

So...if Hasslebeck was starting I'd feel confident the titans could win. With Locker, I'll just be watching the TV waiting for him to lob a duck or not be aware enough of a collapsing pocket and get stripped. Titans absolutely will not win if they lose the turnover battle, which I just think Locker is gonna be good for 2 turnovers. Maybe the titans D are able to at least get 2 back, but that's asking a lot.

Gun to my head, Locker starts and SD wins something like 24-17, give or take a FG
Old 09-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
L.A. to S.D. to HI

Boltman's Arena

OVR: 34

Always love me a Bolts/Titans battle. Some of the funniest NFL threads I've ever read in the past were from these two teams playing each other.

Bolts will be going all White for this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boltsallwhites.jpg (88.3 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Rookie

Seriously, the more I think about it, the less I understand Muncheck's thinking in starting Locker over Hasselbeck.

If the plan is to essentially throw away the season in order for Locker to mature on the field and go through the growing pains like Indy is with Luck, then they should have cut or traded Hasselbeck. I would understand at that point.

But a completely healthy Hasselbeck riding the pine behind Locker is pointless. His veteran experience basically means he's better at reading defenses, better at going through the progression, and better at throwing the ball away when a play breaks down instead of trying to be Ben Rothlisburger or Steve Young, scrambling around and throwing on the run like Locker seems to want to do.

The Titans went 9-7 last year (same regular season record as the Giants, wrap your mind around that) and there's no reason to think they couldn't get a wildcard spot this year with Hasselbeck starting...or they go with Locker and maybe go 5-11 or 6-10.

Unless Locker just goes out of his mind with Britt back on the team and they combine to some kind of historic record breaking game, or the Titans defense gets an abnormal number of turnovers, Chargers should win this game fairly comfortably.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #5
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Sweet, another game vs. the Tennessee Cheapshots. Beating them has become an annual event. Let's see if we can continue the tradition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Left side, strong side

C the Lyte's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSmooth
I know it may seem easy to pick on CJ and say he's lost his mojo...but I was at the game, and holy **** the titans o-line had no answer for Wilfork and the other DT on the Pats. Our O-line was embarasses on run plays, evident by Reynaud's lack of yardage too. It's not like he busted out and 15 yard runs either.
http://www.totaltitans.com/2012-arti...-patriots.html
Old 09-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by C the Lyte
Ok, so about 6 of the 11 runs are CJ's "fault"...and that's assuming this guy is an NFL expert at breaking down plays.

I'm not saying another RB wouldn't have gotten more yards...sure if it was Eddie George in his prime back there with his 6'3 230lbs body. But CJ is smaller, so he's not going to play the same.

I think New England, knowing it was Jake Locker at QB, their main tactic was to stop CJ and try to let the inexperienced QB beat them, and he couldn't.

Get CJ the ball on some screens or draw plays with better blocking (and more than 11 carries) and I have no doubt he can still get 100 yards a game...and if half of that is receiving yards on dump off plays to get him in space then so be it.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Rookie

Titans4lyfe's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSmooth
Seriously, the more I think about it, the less I understand Muncheck's thinking in starting Locker over Hasselbeck.

If the plan is to essentially throw away the season in order for Locker to mature on the field and go through the growing pains like Indy is with Luck, then they should have cut or traded Hasselbeck. I would understand at that point.

But a completely healthy Hasselbeck riding the pine behind Locker is pointless. His veteran experience basically means he's better at reading defenses, better at going through the progression, and better at throwing the ball away when a play breaks down instead of trying to be Ben Rothlisburger or Steve Young, scrambling around and throwing on the run like Locker seems to want to do.

The Titans went 9-7 last year (same regular season record as the Giants, wrap your mind around that) and there's no reason to think they couldn't get a wildcard spot this year with Hasselbeck starting...or they go with Locker and maybe go 5-11 or 6-10.

Unless Locker just goes out of his mind with Britt back on the team and they combine to some kind of historic record breaking game, or the Titans defense gets an abnormal number of turnovers, Chargers should win this game fairly comfortably.
They have to find out if Jake Locker is the QB of the future. Having him on the sideline holding a clipboard another year isn't going to help figure that out.

Second, why would they release/trade Hasselbeck when he instantly becomes one of the best back-up QBs in the league. You talk about his veteran experiance. Well, wouldn't you want that veteran experiance to come in just in case something happens to Locker (like on Sunday). I feel way more comfortable having Hasselbeck as our back-up than Rusty Smith.

And while Hasselbeck was great the first half of last season, the second half was lackluster. His performance against the Colts was one of the reasons we gave them their first win of the season.

Jake Locker opens this offense way more than Hasselbeck at this stage of his career. With CJ, Britt, Wright, Cook and Washington, we need someone who can push the ball down field. I'll put it this way. I'd rather have Locker throwing the ball downfield taking chances then, Matt Hasselbeck playing conservatively with little check downs. Remember, it was Jake Locker's first career game starting against a Bill Belichickled defense. Just give him some time.
NCAAB: Duke Blue Devils

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »