Home

Week 4: Carolina Panthers (1-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (3-0)

This is a discussion on Week 4: Carolina Panthers (1-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (3-0) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #65
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Week 4: Carolina Panthers (1-2) @ Atlanta Falcons (3-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
Kind of like, 60% of the time it works every time?
My point is if you played that last Falcons drive out 99 more times the vast majority would result in the Falcons not making it past midfield....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #66
MVP

AussieChiefsFan's Arena

OVR: 31
Well that game was much closer than expected

-Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #67
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Another explanation for why Rivera made a terrible decision:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...st-week-4-news

Quote:
You can probably guess who made the worst decision of the week, though. Panthers head coach Ron Rivera absolutely bungled his end-of-game scenario against the Falcons, setting Atlanta up for a dramatic comeback win. Let's not judge Rivera's decision by its obviously poor outcome; let's go through his thinking and analyze the process.
To set the scene, the Panthers came within a fumble of winning this game. Cam Newton actually got the ball past the sticks on a key third-and-2 run, but fumbled backward to the point where the ball was a yard short of the sticks, setting up a fourth-and-1 on Atlanta's 44-yard line. With 1:44 on the clock and no timeouts left for the Falcons, a conversion for the Panthers would allow them to kneel three times and hold onto their hard-earned 28-27 victory. A failed conversion would give the ball to the Falcons with excellent field position, and a punt would give Atlanta the ball with inferior field position.
The "indeterminate" field position is a key bit in analyzing this decision. After the fact, the argument in favor of Rivera's call seemed to revolve around the idea that the Panthers were able to down the ball at the 1-yard line, giving Carolina the best possible punting outcome before the long drive. The problem with that logic is that you can't assume whatsoever before the play that a Panthers punt will be downed on the 1-yard line, since such a great punt is far from guaranteed. Carolina's gunner was inches away from touching the goal line, producing a touchback that would have been of little value. There's a shot of downing the ball at the 1-yard line, of course, but you can't plug it in as one of Rivera's choices. Instead, you have to take the average of all the possibilities from the punt and use that as your baseline in making the decision. ESPN Stats and Info checked that and found that a punt from the 50-yard line3 will produce an average of 31 yards, giving Atlanta the ball at their own 19-yard line.
ESPN Stats and Info also found that, since 2001, teams who ran the ball on fourth-and-1 in the fourth quarter with a lead and the ball between the 40- and 50-yard line have converted on 71.9 percent of those carries. And according to Brian Burke's fourth-down calculator, the Panthers would be in the right to go for it in this situation if they thought they could succeed 35 percent of the time on fourth-and-1. Thirty-five percent! Remember: that's the average team. The Panthers are not your average short-yardage running team. In addition to the considerable skills of Cam Newton, Carolina has spent nearly $50 million on running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to ensure that their running game is effective. If you don't trust your team to pick up one yard with the game on the line in the fourth quarter, why did you spend close to $50 million on running backs? What's the point of having Cam Newton?4
Don't believe all those numbers? Fine. Throw all the numbers out. Pretend you've got your life savings riding on a Panthers victory. Would you rather the Panthers try to get one yard with Cam Newton or try to stop Matt Ryan from picking up 50 yards at home against Haruki Nakamura? Do you think a single Falcons fan in the Georgia Dome was upset that the Panthers didn't try to go for it against that legendarily fierce Falcons front four? Of course not. It felt like a gift because it was one.
Given his team's particular mix of strengths and weaknesses, and the extremely high stakes of the situation, Rivera's decision to punt is a strong candidate for worst coaching decision of the year. ESPN Stats and Info's win expectancy model estimates that it dropped Carolina's chances of winning from 83.5 percent to 57.4 percent without adjusting for the specific skills of the two teams; chances are that Rivera dropped his team's "true" chances of winning by 35-40 percent by punting.
But, hey, at least he iced Matt Bryant before the game-winning kick, right?
One of the side notes added that the Panthers have converted 21 of 24 times on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 situations since Newton has been the starter. That's nearly 90%

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 10-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #68
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
Another explanation for why Rivera made a terrible decision:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...st-week-4-news

One of the side notes added that the Panthers have converted 21 of 24 times on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 situations since Newton has been the starter. That's nearly 90%

In most area of competitive sport aggression usually wins out. I thought the right call was to go for it. However I wouldn't bury Rivera for punting, but the defensive coordinator needs to be fired. The only thing that hurts them is a deep bomb and they give up a deep bomb on the first play. That's inexcusable and IMO a fireable offense.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #69
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
In most area of competitive sport aggression usually wins out. I thought the right call was to go for it. However I wouldn't bury Rivera for punting, but the defensive coordinator needs to be fired. The only thing that hurts them is a deep bomb and they give up a deep bomb on the first play. That's inexcusable and IMO a fireable offense.
If they weren't going to fire him after last year, they won't fire him this year. It's just ridiculous that Nakamura is a starting safety in the NFL. He got turned around so many times last week and has generally been terrible playing the pass this year.

I have a feeling Sherrod Martin will be out there next week. But he couldn't beat Nakamura out in the pre-season so I don't find much hope if they do make a change.

Watch me play video games
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
99% of the time there's no chance for the offense to get inside FG range with the ball inside the offenses own 1 yard line. Carolina's secondary just sucked today....
And most punts typically aren't downed at the 1 either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »