Home

Black Monday 2012/Coach Carousel

This is a discussion on Black Monday 2012/Coach Carousel within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Black Monday 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
I also think Rex has earned one last year.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
I think under normal circumstances i'd agree but Rex has fallen so hard this season and the accumulative effect of all his blowhard behavior over the years makes his leash far tighter than some coaches. I think if they're going to totally blow things up you might as well turn the page on the head coach as well.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
Pat Shurmur is dead meat. He'd already likely be losing his job because of poor coaching on a decently talented team, but with ownership and regime change, he is totally toast.
Maybe I'm wrong, but Cleveland doesn't jump out as a decently talented team. Sure they have a solid defense it seems, but not a lot of talent on offense outside of Richardson, and a solid offense is essential in today's NFL to be successful. I don't really see how they could have done any better especially given the division they're in.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #19
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
I think under normal circumstances i'd agree but Rex has fallen so hard this season and the accumulative effect of all his blowhard behavior over the years makes his leash far tighter than some coaches. I think if they're going to totally blow things up you might as well turn the page on the head coach as well.
I see your point, however they are pretty much stuck with Sanchez for another year, unless they find a sucker willing to trade...I say give Rex another year with Sanchez and see what happens.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Maybe I'm wrong, but Cleveland doesn't jump out as a decently talented team. Sure they have a solid defense it seems, but not a lot of talent on offense outside of Richardson, and a solid offense is essential in today's NFL to be successful. I don't really see how they could have done any better especially given the division they're in.
The offense is probably below average. Gordon has come on and both Gordon and Little are decent targets.

The team lost about 4 different games by less than 7 points. The team is okay. There were several games that they could have won if Shurmur had made the right decision.

They are more talented than a 5 win team.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

On the topic of Rex Ryan, I think he deserves at least 1 more year (and a new quarterback) as well. Of course, it's probably going to be easier to fire him than ditch Sanchez after that ridiculous contract extension they gave him.

I just don't think it'd be the right move to get rid of a coach who's proven to be very successful in the playoffs so far.

Also, every year since he's become head coach of the Jets, the talent level has gotten progressively worse and he's still been able to make them more competitive than they probably should be.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #22
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Does this fall under "normal circumstances" since this team was beat up so bad this year?

I'd definitely would be kind of surprised if they did let him go after this season.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #23
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Does this fall under "normal circumstances" since this team was beat up so bad this year?

I'd definitely would be kind of surprised if they did let him go after this season.
Not really, like I said, Rex is a sideshow unto himself and the team is a reflection of his personality which can be pretty abrasive at times. Yes, the talent has gotten worse each year but as the head coach he has to have some say in the personnel decisions so some of the blame has to go to him as well.

It's clear the whole Tebow thing was foisted on him but he screwed that up monumentally to the point that they just need to turn the page and start fresh. The one thing that may save him is that there's so much money tied up on him and the GM that only one of the two will probably be let go.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

I think Rex will stay. Jets love publicity, good or bad, and Rex gives that team an identity that wasn't present during the Mangini era. He'll need to hire a good OC for once (maybe Norv from SD?), but I think he gets another year or two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »