Home

NFC Championship Game: San Francisco 49ers (2) @ Atlanta Falcons (1)

This is a discussion on NFC Championship Game: San Francisco 49ers (2) @ Atlanta Falcons (1) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #41
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: NFC Championship Game: San Francisco 49ers (2) @ Atlanta Falcons (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
To Atlanta's credit the last 3 playoff appearances were cut short by the eventual Super Bowl Champions.

Maybe Atlanta's history of coming up small in big games makes me feel this way. I have a hard time having faith in them being able to recover from mistakes. Just my perception of them I guess.
Got no argument for that perception, but I think it's bc I'm ignorant to the details. From what I remember I wouldn't say the issue has been recovering from mistakes but just playing great teams that were red hot. It kind of reminds me of someone betting against Manning bc "he's a choker in the playoffs" or firing Marty bc he can't win the big one. I think digging deeper shows coincidences more than a pattern. But again, I haven't gone back and looked at the 5 year span to say that. I think someone put it best in either this thread or yesterday's game thread though. Bryant misses that kick and Ryan (and Smith) are huge goats with the coach likely on the hot seat. Looking at it in the moment it seems crazy to judge the QB and coach so differently based on one kick by a completely different person... 5 years from now that kick won't even be remembered just a W or L... that's then grouped with other W's and L's to form an opinion. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #42
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
If you're going where I think you're going with that Pack, we can take it to the street bro!! haha kidding of course.

I have very little faith in Atlanta as well though. They're the other half of my Super Bowl prediction at work so I pray I'm wrong, but yesterday did not encourage me at all.
Oh don't worry, they're not alone in that group LOL.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #43
JB4MVP

JODYE's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
What exactly is the definition of a choker? More specifically, how can a team be classified as the "biggest"?

How does one "back into" a championship game? They got off to a lead big enough to put them in position to win... and they won. Maybe the thought is Seattle just gave them 20 points before deciding to play for real? Personally I see that they lost to other great teams. It's the playoffs... all these teams are extremely talented. There is no "The #1 seed should beat the #4 seed just bc" in the playoffs. San Fran is a fine choice to win this game, but nothing that's happened last year or the year before have anything to do with it. This year, the Falcons have only lost 3 games and play better at home than on the road. There are a bunch of other variables that can be added for or against them, but I don't really understand what you can put substantially behind "biggest chokers".
In the last 2 seasons, did a team lay bigger eggs than the Falcons? (no pun intended) Maybe chokers, was the wrong choice of word. Seeing they were never in a position in either game to choke.

Essentially, cruising through the years and securing a home playoff game, where they were supposedly unbeatable, then laying two of the biggest stinkers a team could possibly lay at home. Scoring a whopping 2 points, and the next year following it up, losing by 27.

Did you watch the game against the Seahawks? You have confidence in the Falcons to play a full 48 minutes against the 49ers?

Obviously, any team on any given sunday can win at anytime, but watching Seattle beat themselves the whole first half, then almost winning the game in a span of about 12 minutes, doesn't show me anything other than what I've thought about the Falcons all along.

I'll give them respect when they earn it.

Quote:
From what I remember I wouldn't say the issue has been recovering from mistakes but just playing great teams that were red hot.
Well, that would be incorrect.

Both the Giants and Packers were 2-3 in the last 5 entering the playoffs and the Packers squeaked by the Eagles on the last play of the game in the Wild Card round. Hardly what I'd call red hot. The Falcons were the favorites to win both of those games.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #44
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Joe Staley only has a bruised arm and should be fine.

On the bright side for the Falcons no scrambling QB wearing #7 has advanced to the Super Bowl in that stadium.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
To Atlanta's credit the last 3 playoff appearances were cut short by the eventual Super Bowl Champions.

Maybe Atlanta's history of coming up small in big games makes me feel this way. I have a hard time having faith in them being able to recover from mistakes. Just my perception of them I guess.
They recovered from the mistake of letting Seattle back in the game yesterday...it's the playoffs every game is big..

ATL has to play Cam newton twice a year..Playing Kaep is no different, if any thing cam is better than him.

Also niners secondary isn't Seattle..Seattle secondary is far better..niners will be depending on their Front 7 if that 7 doesn't get consistent pressure Matt will pick them apart..like Eli and Brady did earlier this season.

As far as niners run game, well Seattle has a great run game also..so the saying we can't defend it is old...

And if ATL gets a big lead like they did with Seattle I don't see them giving up that lead, niners are not a come from behind team like Seattle has proven the are

Also I know that lead was lost against Seattle..same can be said about the niners when they played the pats

Last edited by Keithahundred; 01-14-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #46
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithahundred
ATL has to play Cam newton twice a year..Playing Kaep is no different, if any thing cam is better than him.
Cam Newton vs. Falcons this season:

215,2 TDs + 86,1 TD
287,2 TDs + 116,1 TD

Yup. They've got THAT dealt with.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Cam Newton vs. Falcons this season:

215,2 TDs + 86,1 TD
287,2 TDs + 116,1 TD

Yup. They've got THAT dealt with.
Point is Kaep and the niners aren't bringing anything ATL hasn't already dealt with...and he's def not cam
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 5

I don't think there's any question that this will be the toughest game Atlanta has played this season. For Atlanta to have a chance, Atlanta's defense will have to play much better than the Packers did, Matt Ryan can't throw more than one interception, and Atlanta will have to score at least twenty-eight points. As others have said, Atlanta's defense doesn't seem to match up well with the 49ers offense. And I don't think Atlanta will have much success in the running game.

I don't believe the Falcons defense will do enough against the 49ers offense. I like the 49ers, 38-24.

I would love to be wrong. I want to see the Falcons in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by TheTruth437; 01-14-2013 at 07:23 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »