Home

So...uh...loads of scoring this weekend,,,

This is a discussion on So...uh...loads of scoring this weekend,,, within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15
So...uh...loads of scoring this weekend,,,

An average of 69 points in the four games form this weekend... seriously.

Seasons and pts/game in divisional round
2000---35
2001---45
2002---42
2003---47
2004---41
2005---40
2006---42
2010---58

The NFL as we "knew" it (I was born in 79...) is dead as can be. I doubt there has been much debate to this end, as everyone is aware the rules have rather quickly leaned towards the offense in the past 10 years...

But the shift in offensive mentality that those rule changes have precipitated is the real deal...coaches has realized they can pass teams into submission, rather than having to pound them.

By and large, this is the model of success today. That's not saying teams don't run or anything like that, but what else can account for the 50% increase in scoring in the divisional round (which i am assuming will be mirrored in similar analyses of scoring trends).

What really surprises me is how teams respond strategically...by that i mean... to be successful with a pass-happy scheme, one needs a reliable quarterback, or perhaps a near-great quarterback...we all know they don't grow on trees...

Why more teams don't try to eat clock in a gluttonous fashion, and physically wear out opponents' defenses. I'm not suggesting it is guaranteed to be successful, but trying to trade blows with some of these offenses is SURE to fail.

If the Chip Kelly model makes it to the pros....god help us.

The NFL is beginning to resemble what I think baseball would look like if they moved the fences in 30-50 feet. meh.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: So...uh...loads of scoring this weekend,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazi
An average of 69 points in the four games form this weekend... seriously.

Seasons and pts/game in divisional round
2000---35
2001---45
2002---42
2003---47
2004---41
2005---40
2006---42
2010---58

The NFL as we "knew" it (I was born in 79...) is dead as can be. I doubt there has been much debate to this end, as everyone is aware the rules have rather quickly leaned towards the offense in the past 10 years...

But the shift in offensive mentality that those rule changes have precipitated is the real deal...coaches has realized they can pass teams into submission, rather than having to pound them.

By and large, this is the model of success today. That's not saying teams don't run or anything like that, but what else can account for the 50% increase in scoring in the divisional round (which i am assuming will be mirrored in similar analyses of scoring trends).

What really surprises me is how teams respond strategically...by that i mean... to be successful with a pass-happy scheme, one needs a reliable quarterback, or perhaps a near-great quarterback...we all know they don't grow on trees...

Why more teams don't try to eat clock in a gluttonous fashion, and physically wear out opponents' defenses. I'm not suggesting it is guaranteed to be successful, but trying to trade blows with some of these offenses is SURE to fail.

If the Chip Kelly model makes it to the pros....god help us.

The NFL is beginning to resemble what I think baseball would look like if they moved the fences in 30-50 feet. meh.
Having this discussion on another forum we noted this really is like the MLB steroid era in terms of offense...obviously it's caused by different reasons (rule changes/schemes mainly), the result is astronomical offensive numbers. I definitely don't enjoy it as much TBH.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

In the wild card round no team scored more than 24 points. Where was this "football as we knew it is dead" topic then?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
In the wild card round no team scored more than 24 points. Where was this "football as we knew it is dead" topic then?
The "Football as we knew it is dead" as been a topic of discussion for over 5-years now.. He's just stating a fact that it's worse then ever.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

It isn't a fact if it can be refuted.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Too much hyperbole and cherry picking a particular weekend doesn't help the cause much either. Things have changed, sure, but when you get so specific as to single out one weekend your argument starts to fall as one of the replies above pointed out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Looking at raw numbers, there was a lot of scoring. But it wasn't all offensive.

The Ravens-Broncos game went to double OT. There was no scoring in one of the OTs. Two of the Broncos TDs came on special teams. One of the Ravens TDs came on a pick-six. So 21 of the 73 points weren't scored by the offense. Then add in that 10 more of the Ravens points came when drives started inside Broncos territory.

In the 49ers-Packers game, the first TD was scored on a pick-six. And one of the 49ers touchdowns was set up by a fumble at the Packers 9.

In the Patriots-Texans game, the Texans first field goal was set up by a kickoff return to the Patriots 12. They had two other touchdown drives that began in Patriots territory. And 10 of the Patriots points came on drives that began in Texans territory.

The game is shifting more toward offense thanks to rules changes and schemes, but it's not as radical as last weekend would have you believe. At least not yet. And defense will eventually catch up.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Too much hyperbole and cherry picking a particular weekend doesn't help the cause much either. Things have changed, sure, but when you get so specific as to single out one weekend your argument starts to fall as one of the replies above pointed out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I 100% agree, mestevo...i even acknowledged that.
I don't have the time or genuine desire to do a real examination...i would like to, but it is well down the priority list.

That being said...that was a REMARKABLE amount of scoring. That can't be denied.

The question is whether it was a fluke, part of a larger growing trend, or a harbinger of things to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
And defense will eventually catch up.
Good points...this last one, however, I'm not sure about. I don't know if defenses CAN catch up once this "shift" (if it is really real lol) truly gets off the ground...
That's not to say they won't have an effect...Defensive scoring will not go away)...but how often do we expect to see a Steel Curtain, a Doomsday, an 85 Bears, an early-90s Ravens Defense again? Or even the Bucs' defense from about 10 years ago...

Last edited by fugazi; 01-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »