Home

Joe Flacco should be highest-paid NFL QB, agent says

This is a discussion on Joe Flacco should be highest-paid NFL QB, agent says within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Joe Flacco should be highest-paid NFL QB, agent says

When a guy shows he can be a major part of winning big games against the best defenses and the best QB's, you pay him what it takes to keep him. If I had the choice of Brees or Rodgers for $20 million, or Flacco for $20 million you take Brees or Rodgers, but that's not how it works. It's not easy to find a QB as good as Flacco, when you do, you do what it takes to keep him. If it makes it more difficult to build the rest of your team, so be it, its better than having a lot of cap room but no QB.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #50
Banned

DukeC's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
I'm not gonna bring up the others mentioned(Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton have all done their jobs in the playoffs before). I'll go with Brees because I have his stats in front of me and that's the $$ Flacco wants.

Drew Brees playoff stuff:
5-4 record(1 SB), Flacco wins this but that may be more a team thing
22TDs- 4INT(Flacco with a 19-8 in more games played but about 20 less attempts)
Brees 66.8% comp, Flacco 55.5% comp

With all the stats and tape, I just don't see how Flacco is a top 5 QB. Yeah he wins playoff games, but give Rodgers/Brees/Peyton the defenses he's had they'd be winning more games. If you're happy as a Ravens fan giving him $20+ million a year then good for you, but I think it'd be a huge mistake
Coolio. I mean, that's fine. I fail to see how this invalidates my point of Joe Flacco playing better than those guys the past 2-3 seasons, increasing his crunch time performance, and eventually came off one of the greatest playoffs runs a QB can make (With the year before this one almost going to the Superbowl then ,but you know, infamous drop and everything).

Drew Brees: 17 TD's and 2 INT during a 3 year span (Last 3 times he was in the playoffs).
Joe Flacco: 18 TD's and 2 INT during a 3 year span (Last 3 Times he was in the playoffs).

At this point, he's earned it (Based on his playoffs success and numbers the past 3 years...just like Brees). If you guys feel he hasn't earned it, cool. A difference of opinions it is.

At this point, the Ravens either have the pay the man or let him go. If they let him go, they set themselves back 2-3 years, maybe more with the way they have to rebuild the defense as WELL as find a new QB. Joe Flacco has proven (when it matters during the playoffs when everyone is focused on stopping offenses) that he can carry the offense and win games for them.

If your defense is going to suck either way (Which I doubt because they have a solid DB core, they just need safety help), then at this point the Ravens should strive for a dominate offense.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #51
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Some flawed arguments or double standards being made against Flacco I'm noticing.

If there's 2 QBs that shouldn't be compared it's Brees and Flacco and I'm not talking about from a number/skills perspective but their situations are completely different.

People talking about if they give Flacco $20 Mil, it'll prevent them from building the rest of their team but one your forgetting is that they've built their team primarily thru the Draft(just like the Steelers, Patriots and Packers have) and aren't necessarily big players or big spenders in FA anyway so how does it affect them in that regard?

How does paying him affect the Ravens as a TEAM over the long term?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
When a guy shows he can be a major part of winning big games against the best defenses and the best QB's, you pay him what it takes to keep him. If I had the choice of Brees or Rodgers for $20 million, or Flacco for $20 million you take Brees or Rodgers, but that's not how it works. It's not easy to find a QB as good as Flacco, when you do, you do what it takes to keep him. If it makes it more difficult to build the rest of your team, so be it, its better than having a lot of cap room but no QB.
With the way the NFL salary cap is set up, it won't be too difficult for Baltimore to remain competitive throughout Flacco's deal. Besides, I'm sure he will restructure his deal a few times like most big money QB's in his position do.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #53
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Probably not, but he was the straw that stirred the drink in NY and with his pedigree of being a Manning the arrow was pointing towards improvement every year.

I'm not saying Flacco doesn't deserve the big bucks i'm just saying I don't think he should be the highest paid player based on one amazing postseason. As I said he's probably going to be in the top 3 at least.
I'm baffled at why so many are saying this is based on one amazing postseason. Flacco turned down $16 mil last year and the organization didn't really have a problem with it... bc he's been progressing and performing at a high level already. But more importantly, Eli's situation is all that needs to be looked at. Nobody thinks he's the best QB in the league... he was the highest paid QB, and he should've been based on when his contract was up and who else was going after a new contract at the time. It's not like a vote of who should make the HOF (or even who is elite right now where you have to pick one). Eli is their QB, he just won a SB, his contract is up, this is today's market... end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
Yeah, I really don't get why this keeps getting glossed over. Drew Brees did not negotiate a $20 million contract this year. If his contract were up, he'd be asking for more than that... and as soon as the Saints made sure he didn't reach the market, the Ravens would pay Flacco bc Brees, Brady, and Rodgers aren't available. Couch GMs that think rolling the dice with Alex Smith or Matt Flynn makes more sense than paying the SB MVP $20 mil need to stick to Madden.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #54
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm not saying letting him walk is the better option, but I just don't see how it's reasonable at all to give him $20 million. My max would be $15 million and to me that's still high.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #55
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Some flawed arguments or double standards being made against Flacco I'm noticing.

If there's 2 QBs that shouldn't be compared it's Brees and Flacco and I'm not talking about from a number/skills perspective but their situations are completely different.

People talking about if they give Flacco $20 Mil, it'll prevent them from building the rest of their team but one your forgetting is that they've built their team primarily thru the Draft(just like the Steelers, Patriots and Packers have) and aren't necessarily big players or big spenders in FA anyway so how does it affect them in that regard?

How does paying him affect the Ravens as a TEAM over the long term?
Please explain how their situations are different since I seem to be doing a horrible job at it (or people are just ignoring that).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #56
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
I'm not saying letting him walk is the better option, but I just don't see how it's reasonable at all to give him $20 million. My max would be $15 million and to me that's still high.
And then what? He left $16 mil on the table so your $15 mil is already not happening so what's your option now if you're not saying let him walk? It seems like you think there isn't a team out there that would give him $20 mil which is absolutely crazy.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »