Home

NFL Would Consider Wider Field

This is a discussion on NFL Would Consider Wider Field within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #17
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: NFL Would Consider Wider Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakan723
Basketball is the sport that really needs the wider court. (by a few feet)

You have barley any room behind the 3 pt line and ob on the side, it's ridiculous.
barley? Thinking of beer?

Hockey could use a wider ice surface as well.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Stop ****ing with things.

This goes for everything. Football, YouTube layout.....everything.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #19
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Stupid idea. Might as well turn the sport into an arcade game already.

If the league really wanted to push safety they'd consider things like mandatory equipment and weight limits... yes, weight limits. It's done in pop-warner, little league baseball and of course amateur and pro boxing, weight lifting, wrestling, cheerleading, MMA, etc, why not in the NFL? Collisions are based on force & mass so why not taper one variable since players are obviously not getting slower or weaker anytime soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Maybe if this happened, NCAA and Madden would actually widen the field
Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #21
MVP

RJTurneR's Arena

OVR: 17

I guess it work the same way as new the kickoffs. Won't know if it will work until we have seen it for real.

The point made about less helmet to helmet hits because of a wider field is a good point. More time to setup. At the same time though, you could argue that because there is more time to setup the hit, more space to gain momentum before the hit, that we could see more upper/low body injuries.

To add that, if this gives LB's/DB's more time to setup the hit correctly, this could actually end up being an advantage to the offense in a way. Guys will be taking more time, meaning offensive players have more time themselves to make throws, evade, elude, etc..

I don't know.. It's interesting, we would have to see it before any conclusion could be made.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #22
Just started!

OVR: 0
Icon14 An NFL stadium architect's endorsement...

In recent years I have studied and drawn solutions for fitting FIFA width requirements into all the major NFL stadiums, which is essentially the same extra width as what the NFL is considering. All this talk about how it benefits football game play (or safety?!) is merely justification or salesmanship. This is 100% about removing the perceived and real barriers to hosting world cup in US stadiums. Most will require little or no modification. My credentials? I am a Missouri architect and alumni of HOK Sport who helped design 5 new NFL stadiums (starting with Ravens stadium) followed by the renovation of Dolphins and Arrowhead stadiums. I have worked (indirectly) for one quarter of the billionaires comprising the NFL. This is about World Cup, and global markets. And it's a good thing. Definitely a good thing. The stadium modifications won't cost terribly much, and the benefits of opening up to World Cup events are huge. You do lose a few lower bowl general admission seats, but not many. With the high quality of modern HD broadcast, the business model of pro football stadiums are no longer driven by total number of butts in stadium seats anyhow. A few less seats for most teams is going to be a good thing, as long as they keep that ridiculous and archaic blackout rule in place... This one is a no-brainer. Widen the field.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #23
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

OS'ers don't like change. I can't imagine the internet outrage had OS been around back when the governing bodies decided to allow the forward pass.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Per PFT, widening the field is not currently on the Competition Committee's agenda.

That said, I agree with Cardot above. Without change, there is no progress. There's always room to improve. Insert another cliche here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »