Home

NFL 2013 Scouting Combine Thread

This is a discussion on NFL 2013 Scouting Combine Thread within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
NFL 2013 Scouting Combine Thread

Every Year since 2010 I've started this thread. Looking forward to some great workouts. Also Bmore Irish, ehh I might change my tune on Teo, but not Reid. We'll see.

Although the Ravens have no shot I am interested in seeing more of Eric Fisher. I was really impressed with him at the Senior Bowl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NFL 2013 Scouting Combine Thread

yea, I'd love if we could get a nice OT, cause who knows what's gonna happen with McKinney and I'd much rather see Oher on the right side.

You have a very valid point about looking to shore up the middle on that d-line though, Terrence Cody has been so underwhelming.

Times like these are when I wish I was back home with NFL Network on in front of me haha. Anything in particular that makes you reconsider Te'o? When does he work out?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I haven't been following this year's Combine but so much to this point. Of what I have followed, I was disappointed that UVa OT Oday Aboushi had a disappointing performance in the bench press, with only 17 reps. He'll need to increase that at his Pro Day.

Have there been any big surprises at the Combine so far, good or bad?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Pro

sgf83's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I haven't been following this year's Combine but so much to this point. Of what I have followed, I was disappointed that UVa OT Oday Aboushi had a disappointing performance in the bench press, with only 17 reps. He'll need to increase that at his Pro Day.

Have there been any big surprises at the Combine so far, good or bad?
Bench reps for offensive linemen are like 40 times at other positions. It can be an overrated drill. Offensive line is about technique/footwork just as much as pure strength. Logan Mankins only threw up 21 at his combine and he turned out just fine.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Pro

Maelstrom-XIII's Arena

OVR: 17

If teams see Aboushi as a LT prospect, and if his shuttle times are good enough, 17 reps won't really hurt his stock too much, I don't think. But if he's seen as a RT, it may drive him down boards.

Carolina Panthers - NC State Wolfpack - Charlotte Hornets - Brisbane Roar FC - VfB Stuttgart
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I think Aboushi will be a left tackle in the NFL as well. He moves very well, he has good technique (needs to work on his consistency), and he has a good frame to which he can add muscle once he gets into an NFL weight training program.

I don't think Aboushi is a first-year starter by any means, however, as he's certainly not a capable run blocker in the NFL right now I don't think. He was never a great run blocker at UVa, and he's never really been an overpowering player. I see him as a poor man's version of D'Brickashaw Ferguson when Brick was a rookie - very nimble, good pass blocking intangibles, but lacking raw power. Brick obviously was much further along as he was good enough to go #4 overall, but the two remind me of each other a fair amount.

An aside, UVa has put a fair amount of good linemen in the NFL between Brick, Eugene Monroe, and Branden Albert. All starting left tackles. Something in the water in Charlottesville, I guess.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread when do we start seeing 40 times and the rest of the underwear Olympics? Tomorrow?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgf83
Bench reps for offensive linemen are like 40 times at other positions. It can be an overrated drill. Offensive line is about technique/footwork just as much as pure strength. Logan Mankins only threw up 21 at his combine and he turned out just fine.
People do take bench and 40s too seriously.

While yeah, it's great if you run fast or can lift a lot.. but all it takes is one slip up, one wrong breath and you can cut your bench or 40 times down, or up, significantly.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

I played with Oday in HS. I beat him out for Offensive tackle one year! He was a tank back then and played defense. Good times with him in practice. Comes from a good family background and I hope nothing but the best for him. Seeing him update his experiences on facebook is pretty surreal. Never thought I would be able to say I played with an NFL player, yet alone was his teammate.

His JV year we talked him into drinking a gallon of water in one sitting as a prank at camp. The beast drank it down and was ready for practice in minutes! I think he ran off to puke when noone was looking haha.

Last edited by kingkilla56; 02-23-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: syntax errrrrr

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »