Home

Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL

This is a discussion on Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #33
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Chip Kelly's Spread Offense in the NFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
He had it all taken away. Watching NFL games with a prison mop in his hand. He's determined to give it everything on every play. I respect that.

Will it shorten his career? Probably. But I can't help but respect a guy who leaves it all on the field like that. Twice a game I have to watch Brady or Manning curl up in the fetal position when the rush is on to avoid a hit and I want to puke. Nutless.
What you call "Nutless", I call preservation

Watch me play video games
Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #34

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
What you call "Nutless", I call preservation
Just ignore shotgun. He has been on a personal crusade against QBs and the NFL for as long as I remember.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #35
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

After looking through some of the all-22 from the MNF game. One thing that stands out already to me, is that either Vick is regressing or this is a one read passing attack. Vick was staring down one target and that was the only place the ball was going. He rarely came off his primary target to a secondary or tracery target. And the one time he did resulted in a TD for the Redskins.

But here is one example of what I am talking about. It was near inches away from being a batted ball, but they got "lucky" and resulted in a 26 yard completion.

Pre-Play

Josh Wilson is highlighted, because at the snap this looks like Washington is playing man coverage with a mix of press and off man. Keep an eye on two things as this play unfolds. Vicks head and Josh Willson's eyes. He never takes his eyes off Vick. As the play unfolds this is shown to be a zone not man.

Just after the snap

Just after the snap Vick has started to look to his right, which as this game went on was a sure sign of where the ball was going. Wilson who at the snap looked to be in press man, will peel off into a buzz zone the defense almost looks like its playing Cover 6, based on the David Amerson drop on the back side.

As Vick winds up

Vicks eyes never leave the target (Jackson). Wilson who has been watching Vick is starting to move right into the throwing lane anticipating the throw into his zone, he has already bailed on his middle of the field responsabilities. You see that the inside WR will clear him and the back side LB (London Fletcher) has his back to him, the only person who has eyes on the WR releasing in the middle is CB turned SS Ej Biggers.

At the release

Just more of the same as above, Vick is throwing and Wilson is breaking, while the Biggers moves to cover the TE. Notice how frozen the backside Safety and CB Amerson are. Amerson has numerous responsibility, with the TE on his side relasing to the outside taking Perry Riley with him, and Riley Cooper starting to "sit" his route down while LeSean McCoy is flaring to the flat.

Wilson's play on the ball

These two images show how close Wilson came to breaking up that pass. Like they say football is a game of inches. Vicks throw managed to avoid Wilson's finger tips and Jackson makes the catch and races 26 yards and the Eagles are off, setting up their first FG of the game.

Kelly's offense is going to cause a lot of headache for defense, and its the first, week. In the passing game though this was a trend I noticed, where Vick's eyes went after the snap that is usually where the ball was going. Now the counter to this is, the reads are so easy and the targets so open, he doesn't need to get off his primary. While this was true often, there were a few times where the primary was covered Vick held the ball the bailed on the play. He will have to do a better job in the future of getting to his #2 and #3 options against better defenses IMO.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Damn Rob, you really know how to break this down. Excellent job man.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »