Home

Upcoming Rule Changes...

This is a discussion on Upcoming Rule Changes... within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #65
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Upcoming Rule Changes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
It's something new every year with sport so I'm not surprised.

Next year, there will be something else that'll be tweaked or changed in the name of "safety".
It's only been in recent years that the NFL has been tweaking rules for safety reasons. You gotta remember the NFL has been tweaking their rules on an annual basis for at least 35 years now. That's how the wholesale changes in '78 came about which opened up passing in the league.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #66
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
It's something new every year with sport so I'm not surprised.

Next year, there will be something else that'll be tweaked or changed in the name of "safety".
Next year they ban jukes for ruining the morale of the defenders, which studies show affect brain patterns down the road for those defenders.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #67
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Next year they'll remove 2 preseason games and it'll be a race for everyone to rationalize/adopt an 18 game season in a way all parties can accept so the salary cap doesn't go down as a result.

The end result is a safer game is we might be able to get more of.

CBA allows owners to drop 2 weeks of preseason without NFLPA approval, but not to expand. So one will end up being used as leverage for the other.

Last edited by mestevo; 03-20-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #68
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
I don't mind the rule change, it had to be done.

Everyone screaming the game is ruined..hold your horses.

In the end, it will still be football...we will still love the game and watch in record numbers.
To be clear (since I've spoken up against this multiple times), the game is not ruined... far from it. Honestly I haven't seen anyone saying the game is ruined. I guess suggesting that's what people against it think is just as big of an exaggeration as those saying it's ruined in the first place (even though I'm pretty sure you were bringing it up bc someone also referenced it in a post earlier).
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #69
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
To be clear (since I've spoken up against this multiple times), the game is not ruined... far from it. Honestly I haven't seen anyone saying the game is ruined. I guess suggesting that's what people against it think is just as big of an exaggeration as those saying it's ruined in the first place (even though I'm pretty sure you were bringing it up bc someone also referenced it in a post earlier).
I should clarify, I do know some may have mention ruining the sport...but my post also had to deal with seeing the replies for Schefty's tweet that was linked here.

Every reply is something or another about the game being ruined..or in the process of.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #70
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Every other reply was about the Tuck Rule though...
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #71
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

From Mike Brown:

Quote:
Bengals owner Mike Brown, the only one of the league’s 32 owners to vote against the new rule against initiating contact with the top of the helmet, says he did so because he believes the rule will be too tough for the officials to enforce properly on collisions that happen in the blink of an eye.
“It’s a very controversial change,” Brown told reporters on Tuesday, via the Cincinnati Enquirer. “I view it as difficult if not impossible play to call. We had a lot of this with the secondary plays last year. I didn’t think those calls were always right. These plays happen in a flash. They’re just a reaction to people: Did he hit him with his shoulder pad? Did he hit him with his helmet? Was it intended? That’s difficult to sort out. I’m not confident we should add another discretionary call. We’re asking an awful lot of our referees to make those kind of calls.”
Brown said he understands the intent behind the rules change, but he would like to see some solid evidence that the new rule will prevent injuries before he’s on board with it.
“We’re all for safety and make it as safe as we can devise,” Brown said. “The issue on this one is hard to measure. Just how much of an impact does it have on safety? There are no statistics in front of us as far as injuries. It makes me wonder if we have properly quantified it to make a decision on it now. In the past we have actions that have crept into the game that have been taken out. In the old days we had the clothesline and then the head slap. They crept into the game and then they were removed and it was good. In this case I don’t know if we are talking about anything that has crept into the game at all. It is something football has had as long as I remember.”
But it’s something football won’t have anymore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #72
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm not sure if anybody is saying this rule is ruining the game, but I think it is a merely the next domino in long line that will alter the game to a point that many could make the argument that the game has been ruined.

It is all subjective opinion about whether the game is ruined or not. Some might say that the forward pass ruined the game. You know who really ruined Football, Walter Camp with his whole line of scrimmage idea. What nonsense.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »