Home

Are players being over payed???

This is a discussion on Are players being over payed??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Are players being over payed???

Given how much NFL owners make, I don't think players are overpaid whatsoever.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
The Future

Bmore Irish's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Yeah, it's just that the super rich guys (owners) are giving up a larger portion of their take to the rich guys (players).

Just go back a few years and look at the average NFL salary escalate.

1986-$198,00, 1993-$800,000, 2012- $2,000,000
i guess it's an investment for them. probably has a lot to do with ego as well. a lot of these guys are already filthy rich, so they want the bragging rights that goes along with being the owner of a champ in the biggest sport in the country. we're seeing all these ridiculous signing bonuses and guarantees as a way to secure key pieces to their dream. they got the money to burn, so they can dig in their pockets all they want. i prefer that since it lessens the cap hit.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Overpaid in regards to the rest of society? Maybe, that's more of a morals thing.

However, i'm sure an argument could be made to show that many of these guys are underpaid relevant to the $$ they produce.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

You can't be overpaid in a free market. They're getting the exact value of what someone thinks they're worth.

Watch me play video games
Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

It's not my place to say what players should be making. If people are willing to pay, then that's the way it goes. That said, within the context of salary ranges and player accomplishment/ability it is fine to comment on individual players.

Like, given the context of things, I think giving 55 million guaranteed to Romo is ridiculous.

The notion that "why care because it's someone else's money" is awful, too. I want the teams I root for to be fiscally responsible. If the Texans give some bum a fat contract, you better believe I care even though it's McNair's money. Why? Because fiscal health will affect the team's ability to compete.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 04-02-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't give a damn how much any of these guys make but I will laugh and criticize the move when gm's throw a ton of money away on players who have done nothing to justify getting huge contracts.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Rookie

ObiJuanKenobi's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
I don't give a damn how much any of these guys make but I will laugh and criticize the move when gm's throw a ton of money away on players who have done nothing to justify getting huge contracts.
This is how I feel about Romo. He is no more than the average QB but is being payed like a top tier QB. I just honestly can't wrap my head around paying a guy who hasn't been to the playoffs in three years and only has one playoff win to his name a 108 million dollar contract with 55 million guaranteed.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #24
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJuanKenobi
This is how I feel about Romo. He is no more than the average QB but is being payed like a top tier QB. I just honestly can't wrap my head around paying a guy who hasn't been to the playoffs in three years and only has one playoff win to his name a 108 million dollar contract with 55 million guaranteed.
Because you are considering him in a vacuum. Who do they replace him with? How else do they mitigate the cap consequences of not giving him a new deal?

You can say he is overpaid and might even be right, but his contract is the result of many factors aside from how good Tony Romo actually is throwing the ball.

That's what you need to wrap your head around.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »