Home

Are players being over payed???

This is a discussion on Are players being over payed??? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Are players being over payed???

I would say yes, only because I hate all this money that is involved with the games nowadays. As others have stated, in a system where supply and demand ultimately drive prices, nothing can truly be overpriced, unless there exists a lack of competition allowing prices to be manipulated or government intervention (price floor/price ceiling). The NFL, and sports in general, are indeed highly competitive, so most of the money would then be earned.

I dislike the amount of money in sports though. It disgusts me. I makes it hard for me to actually like the athletes when they seem so overly obsessed with making as much money as possible than with the actual game. I get that you have to earn a living, but you will have a hard time convincing me that people earning over $500k is really struggling to make ends meet. I could go on with a long social commentary, but its topics like this me that get me in trouble with wwharton and I quite like the privilege of accessing this community.

Edit:Its eleven, so if my economics analysis makes no sense, that is why.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #26
Rookie

ObiJuanKenobi's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Because you are considering him in a vacuum. Who do they replace him with? How else do they mitigate the cap consequences of not giving him a new deal?

You can say he is overpaid and might even be right, but his contract is the result of many factors aside from how good Tony Romo actually is throwing the ball.

That's what you need to wrap your head around.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
I understand where you are coming from. But think of it this way, is Romo really the future of the Cowboys. So far in his career he has proved to be nothing more than average and not very clutch in big situations. Having only one playoff win in his seven years in the league does not seem like somebody I would want to keep around. I will agree though that there isn't much QB talent out there right now so it does put the Cowboys in a bind. If you do cut him who do you replace him with? I just think 55 million guaranteed pretty much ties him down until the end of the contract so if he continues on the same path he is on the Cowboys will not be seeing another Super Bowl for a long time.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #27
Rookie

ObiJuanKenobi's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Wilhelm
I would say yes, only because I hate all this money that is involved with the games nowadays. As others have stated, in a system where supply and demand ultimately drive prices, nothing can truly be overpriced, unless there exists a lack of competition allowing prices to be manipulated or government intervention (price floor/price ceiling). The NFL, and sports in general, are indeed highly competitive, so most of the money would then be earned.

I dislike the amount of money in sports though. It disgusts me. I makes it hard for me to actually like the athletes when they seem so overly obsessed with making as much money as possible than with the actual game. I get that you have to earn a living, but you will have a hard time convincing me that people earning over $500k is really struggling to make ends meet. I could go on with a long social commentary, but its topics like this me that get me in trouble with wwharton and I quite like the privilege of accessing this community.

Edit:Its eleven, so if my economics analysis makes no sense, that is why.
This has to be one of the best comments I have seen on here. It is pretty incredible how spoiled the players are. The average person is lucky to make 50k a year and 5 million won't be enough to a lot of these guys. I also agree a lot of the players seem to be more worried about money than they are playing.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

55-38 is not average. 5th best rating in the NFL with QBs at least 2500 PA, is not average. 18 or 19 4th Qtr come backs since he became starter, tied for 5th best..etc

You can say he doesn't deserve the contract, but to call him average...well....that's just way off base.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

The players arent paid enough; relative to what the league makes a year.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #30
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
The players arent paid enough; relative to what the league makes a year.
Thanks to the new CBA, the more the league makes a year the more the players make.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Thanks to the new CBA, the more the league makes a year the more the players make.
Does the cap get raised? Or?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Depends how you look at it.
In context of police/fire/military/etc. folk that risk their lives/save others lives every day and still being flat broke...yes.

In context of the team/league makes a ton of money and the players should get an appropriate portion of that...no.

In context of -oh hey this player is underperforming and we paid him too much- as in the first post here,technically I suppose but its the fault of the GM and owner,not the player. For example with Romo and Flacco I believe it's a case of "we're paying these guys because there isn't a better option" because there isn't exactly a big FA QB out there they can bid on. Also in the case of Flacco if he does underperform that's also partially on the GM/owner for losing a lot of players. If the team goes 4-12 he's gonna be the one the blame drops on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »