Home

Could Anthony Calvillo have succeeded in the NFL?

This is a discussion on Could Anthony Calvillo have succeeded in the NFL? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #33
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
If you read the rest of that paragraph I said it has to do with poor coaching and scouting.

Define "slam dunk". Eli was on the verge of being called a bust when he went in there and beat the Pats to win his first SB. Alot of those guys are just a good season away from being called "the guy". It's not just about the QB eithier. For him to succeed guys gotta block and catch. Coaches have to call passing plays. Ponder may be getting better, but we won't know because Peterson's gotta get his touches.

Consider Rex Ryan. The guy just doesn't get offense, and has drafted/coached his offense poorly. Players can only do so much when the coaching and scouting is poor. For reasons I don't claim to understand, NFL coaches keep trying to experiment with QB types. The formula is there and we've seen it's success. Eli, Peyton, Brady, Brees, Ryan etc. Find a pantywaist who can hit what he's shooting at, block for him, see the playoffs routinely. You draft these experimental "mobile" guys and you get all kinds of mixed results.

Pass defense has been outlawed. The coaches like Bellicheat, who runs that same pick play in the red zone 30 times a season, that take advantage of the unfair rules have great success in the passing game. Matt Cassel. High school QB comes in and lights it up for NE. Take him out of that system and he's garbage. Why? Crappy coaching.

It's less the QB's and more the systems and coaching. That's why guys keep coming out of nowhere to wreck shop on the NFL. If QB was so hard to play, that wouldn't happen.
I don't even know where to begin. Lol

Last edited by bkrich83; 07-30-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 55
Re: Could Anthony Calvillo have succeeded in the NFL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
You make it sound like a bad thing. Not knowing anything about CFL salaries, I think it's safe to say that being a career NFL clipboard holder makes more sense financially than a CFL star.
The question in the topic title wasn't "Could Anthony Calvillo have made more money in the NFL than he did in the CFL?" now, was it?
Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #35
Earlwolfx on XBL

Cusefan's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55
The question in the topic title wasn't "Could Anthony Calvillo have made more money in the NFL than he did in the CFL?" now, was it?
Why so condescending? I wasn't arguing with you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Dibs!

Madman55's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
You make it sound like a bad thing. Not knowing anything about CFL salaries, I think it's safe to say that being a career NFL clipboard holder makes more sense financially than a CFL star.
But here's the thing. Anthony Calvillo knows that as a player you're going to make more money in the NFL whether you're on the practice roster or a 3rd/4th stringer on the active roster, but he has been in the CFL for 20 years now and has never attempted to make the NFL, and I very highly doubt that is due to a lack of interest from NFL teams.

Regarding salaries, CFL stars are not paid like their NFL counterparts but they are still paid pretty well, I'd say. Calvillo tops the list making approx. 400k a year, compared to the lowest paid CFL QB (Buck Pierce) who makes 200k a year.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I don't even know where to begin. Lol

Man I know. These guys are your sacred cows and it's tough to see them debunked as just plain old hamburger meat.

It hurts, I know. But you'll get over it, champ.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #38
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Man I know. These guys are your sacred cows and it's tough to see them debunked as just plain old hamburger meat.

When you actually debunk something or make an actual point, let me know.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #39

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
I thought we went over this but I guess not.

Leave the childish attitude out of the discussion here.

You are an adult, please act like one. This is your last warning, I'm tired of dealing with nonsense like this.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #40
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I thought we went over this but I guess not.

Leave the childish attitude out of the discussion here.

You are an adult, please act like one. This is your last warning, I'm tired of dealing with nonsense like this.
Two things.

One: I call EVERYONE Champ. Friends, co-workers, my nephews, nieces and my own daughter. It's no kind of insult.

Second: I was responding to HIS non-answer sarcastic insult. But you say nothing to him. DOUBLE STANDARD.

You'd be hard pressed to find a post of me calling someone out as being wrong. But you're wrong here. You disagree with me and you want to turn that into me being a disrespectful poster because you can't really dispute the logic of my position.

I don't insult people. I don't call people names. I don't get personal with people at all. So you are way out of line here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »