Home

QBs today: Overrated? Overpaid?

This is a discussion on QBs today: Overrated? Overpaid? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
QBs today: Overrated? Overpaid?

PPM suggested reopening the Flacco thread but the reason it was closed was bc the discussion expanded beyond just him. I think it makes more sense to just make a thread to allow for more conversation than just for Flacco (love the kid but even I don't think his contract deserves its own thread at this point).

So any continued thoughts on Flacco's contract, Ryan's contract, feelings on these young QBs or any others in terms of their worth... bring it all over here.

Quick summary on my stance for those that may not have been keeping up in the other thread(s):

I don't think Flacco or Ryan are overpaid. They're making what they should based on the market's current value and their availability to take advantage of it. I also don't think it's clear to say one has been more dominant in the NFL than the other. Stats on one hand and playoff success on the other, blurs the line.

If I'm forgetting something else someone else can feel free to remind me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: QBs today: Overrated? Overpaid?

Product of the market and available options - which are just 2 different ways to say the same thing. Have a hard time saying if they were allowed to walk that they wouldn't get that money elsewhere, and for the most part there isn't a free agent or backup arm that can fill the role just as well.

If you want overpaid QB and the poster child for the above, look no further than Detroit.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Product of the market and available options - which are just 2 different ways to say the same thing. Have a hard time saying if they were allowed to walk that they wouldn't get that money elsewhere, and for the most part there isn't a free agent or backup arm that can fill the role just as well.

If you want overpaid QB and the poster child for the above, look no further than Detroit.
Good way of putting it. I also look at it from a free market angle. If EVERY QB were available to be signed to a new contract, these kids would fall properly in place behind those that should be in front of them. It's the staggered pay schedule that make things look more out of whack.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

They are all overpaid, but if the team doesn't pay them, someone else will.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #5
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

The short answer would be to say that they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them (market value). I was one of the individuals that thought that Flacco was over paid and most of that was simply just comparing his accomplishments to other top paid QB's. Looking at it from a different perspective, I do believe that a lot of teams hold onto mediocre QB's to long in fear of not finding a better replacement or due to the sunken cost of acquiring their current QB (FA, Draft, ect.)

The reality is unless the teams could find comparable replacements for cheaper their contracts make sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
The short answer would be to say that they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them (market value). I was one of the individuals that thought that Flacco was over paid and most of that was simply just comparing his accomplishments to other top paid QB's. Looking at it from a different perspective, I do believe that a lot of teams hold onto mediocre QB's to long in fear of not finding a better replacement or due to the sunken cost of acquiring their current QB (FA, Draft, ect.)

The reality is unless the teams could find comparable replacements for cheaper their contracts make sense.
Since we're not going OT in the other thread I'll stir the pot a bit... based on your previous criteria when looking at Flacco's contract how do you feel about Matt Ryan's contract? In summary, do you think Ryan's "accomplishments" in comparison make him worth the amount of money?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
No QB is overpaid, simply because if one team didn't give them that money, more then likely one or more teams would do so. It's just when the best QB's contracts become dated (Manning, Brady both seem to still and consistently be Top 3) do we compare the new contracts of these lesser QB's. The market is continually evolving in an upwards manner. The Ravens hand was forced in paying Flacco that money. I'm sure Baltimore loves having Tyrod Taylor... as their backup. They simply could not let Flacco walk with no compensation (well, they would've gotten supplemental picks, I believe?).

You also have to remember that these guys, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford were drafted as franchise QB's to teams that really haven't had one in a lifetime. Chris Chandler? Mike Vick? That's the class of those three teams that I can think of off the top of my head. Detroit probably had one back in the day, but that's mostly irrelevant now. They get something remotely close to being a good QB, they're going to hold on to that player. Which was hit on; the unknown of drafting a player that could be a bust or promoting a backup into that starting role. Instead, pay maybe more then that QB deserves to make sure that, at worst, there's stability at QB for your team. Can't fault a team for that.

Which QB's are due for new contracts coming up? I'm guessing Andy Dalton, etc. I have a feeling he'll be one guy that there will be a lot of this discussion over. Crazy we're already judging these players and some have only been doing this for a few years. I sometimes, actually oftentimes, believe we expect too much of a lot of young QB's, personal achievements and team accomplishments both. Ryan has been in the league for what, 5 years? And people are calling him and his team choke artist(s). Any longtime Falcons fan is more then likely just enjoying being consistently competitive after failing to be so for their whole existence until Matty Ice et al got there.

Only one team can win it all. It's not so bad to "just make the playoffs." Alas, we expect more every year, it's just so unrealistic in this league in this day and age of worst to first and vice versa to be better then last year every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
MVP

Shibito's Arena

OVR: 0

Overrated? Some are.

Overpaid? Definitely, but the lack of talent at the QB position demands you pay the one you have if he's capable of getting you to the play offs. Team's are faced with paying their QB or spending years searching for one capable of filling the starter spot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »