Home

Should the NFL change Defense holding..

This is a discussion on Should the NFL change Defense holding.. within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Should the NFL change Defense holding..

Bradys injury also started this as well. Wasn't it Carson Palmer who got his knee tore up first? Happens to Brady and they change the rules smh.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #10

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
The only problem with that is how many holding calls do good teams get? The NFL allows the top teams to get away with it and has even started calling it less and less on the bad teams. Its not that teams have stopped holding, its that the refs let it go.

No rules are changing anytime so that would help the defense. Manning is still in the league and as long as him and Pollian are still involved, the defense won't be able to touch a WR.

Manning is a big problem with the wussafication of the game. Manning doesn't like to get hit and will actually go into a fetal position and sack himself if you get pressure on him. Add in all the rule changes so he could finally win, he has hurt the NFL. Sure he can put up great numbers, but he started the league down this path.
http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/...ding?year=2013

Green Bay, New Orleans, Kansas City, Denver, and Seattle make up 5 of the top 10 teams with regards to holding calls this season.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

FYI in 2012 less than 5 of these were called on each team on average. Only 2/3 of them were accepted.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/...ding?year=2012
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
The only problem with that is how many holding calls do good teams get? The NFL allows the top teams to get away with it and has even started calling it less and less on the bad teams. Its not that teams have stopped holding, its that the refs let it go.

No rules are changing anytime so that would help the defense. Manning is still in the league and as long as him and Pollian are still involved, the defense won't be able to touch a WR.

Manning is a big problem with the wussafication of the game. Manning doesn't like to get hit and will actually go into a fetal position and sack himself if you get pressure on him. Add in all the rule changes so he could finally win, he has hurt the NFL. Sure he can put up great numbers, but he started the league down this path.
I do agree with you on Polian since from all reports he's the one that got the rule changed.

What did Peyton do though? So he goes into the "fetal position." Smart football if you ask me. He's certainly not the most mobile QB in the league and when a LB or 300+ defensive lineman is staring you down running at full speed what would you do? When he was with the Colts I was glad he did that stuff. If he got injured our season was over. It's the same reason everyone(and when I say everyone I mean the players/coaches on the Colts) is harping on Luck for not sliding when he scrambles. He's gotten better at it, but before he'd always just ram into defenders to get extra yards. Maybe worth it at that particular moment, but certainly not if he got injured on the play.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
FYI in 2012 less than 5 of these were called on each team on average. Only 2/3 of them were accepted.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/penalty/...ding?year=2012
That's surprising to me. It happened to the Hawks last night after they successfully challenged a fumble originally called incomplete pass. Set up 3rd n long and then the Hawks got called for a phantom hold that set up the missed fg attempt. Feels like I see it almost every game for some reason but I guess not.

Still think it should be changed, offenses just get too many advantages in today's nfl. The game needs to be rebalanced somewhat.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Roger Goodell and the PTB of the NFL want the games to be high scoring and favoring the offense. I don't like it but it's the way it is.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
Bradys injury also started this as well. Wasn't it Carson Palmer who got his knee tore up first? Happens to Brady and they change the rules smh.
Actually the rules were changed after Carson Palmer's knee got torn up. It was referred to as the "Carson Palmer rule" until Brady got his knee busted up and ever since then it's gone downhill as far as being able to hit the QB.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8

The NFL would never make holding worse than it is. Not only would it hurt the offense, but it would put the QB (i.e. their cash cows) at greater risk. The NFL either needs to roll back recent rule changes, or fundamentally alter the game to create balanced football, but we all know that is not what the NFL is after. They want high scoring football games like college because to them the game is meaningless, its all about the money.

It really grinds my gears that the people who actually control professional football are the people that care the least about it.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »