Home

The Incognito/Martin Mess

This is a discussion on The Incognito/Martin Mess within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #65
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: The Incognito/Martin Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
He didn't run to the media with a story to tell, he quit his high paying job. What reason do you have to think his goal was to be in the middle of all of this?
I think after making a rash decision to walk out at lunch, he decided to become the poster boy for bullied athletes. That's what I truly believe.

That's not to say Incognito gets a pass for some of the things he said or did. Same goes for his teammates. But the TOS here handcuffs me from REALLY going in on the topic.

End of the day, though. Yeah, Martin has an end game in my opinion. He's not the innocent victim he wants the world to think he his. Soft individual who is looking to be a poster boy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #66
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Yeah how dare Martin decide enough is enough and walk away. What a loser.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #67
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR173rd
My point is this has gone beyond the confines of the locker room and is now in the public court of opinion, the NFL is all about protecting the shield. Im not debating the culture or if it was acceptable. I saying the fact that this is NOW out in the open, in the media, up for an internal investigation by the NFL- anyone like Tannehill for example, with a P.R. rep that has a brain is going to strongly advise him to either A) Not say anything publicly or B) Talk about how bullying is wrong. That advice is reinforced by the Dolphins P.R. who's interests lay in the players not opening their mouths period or talking about how bad Incognito is. The Dolphins front office is in self preservation mode either they are going to shoulder the Burden of blame or they can deflect all of this onto Incognito as a rouge bully who was doing all of this without their knowledge.

The players speaking up for Incognito so vehemently hurts the Dolphins leadership position because it makes it more difficult for them to deflect blame. That's why I think it's so interesting that this many players from different parts of the team have came to Incognitos defense. It has nothing to do with what I think is an acceptable culture in the locker room, and more about who is going to get punished. In short if the Front Office and the players were united they would both be dumping on Incognito making this easier for the team to move on from.
These aren't a bunch of guys sitting on a message board. To us, "This is how it is in the locker room, as unfortunate as that is." To them, "This is how it is in the locker room, what's the problem?"

Why would they say anything different if they don't feel anything was wrong? I bet the ones that were in on things with Incognito haven't said a word... or haven't said much. Those are the players you're talking about. Guys like Tannenhill probably wouldn't have a clue what their real relationship was. Does anyone really believe these two were like brothers? Tannenhill did. And I can see how that may be the case in the moment. Again, guys like Brian McKinnie are speaking up, even though he's barely been there long enough to have a cup of coffee... what does he know about the situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by areobee401
I think after making a rash decision to walk out at lunch, he decided to become the poster boy for bullied athletes. That's what I truly believe.

That's not to say Incognito gets a pass for some of the things he said or did. Same goes for his teammates. But the TOS here handcuffs me from REALLY going in on the topic.

End of the day, though. Yeah, Martin has an end game in my opinion. He's not the innocent victim he wants the world to think he his. Soft individual who is looking to be a poster boy.
Based on what? He hasn't said anything. All the information coming out has been from other sources. He FINALLY got a lawyer who released a statement yesterday. The word bullying and all the other information is coming from other places. If he wasn't a high pick and starting guard, we probably wouldn't have heard a peep about any of this.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #68
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Based on what? He hasn't said anything. All the information coming out has been from other sources. He FINALLY got a lawyer who released a statement yesterday. The word bullying and all the other information is coming from other places. If he wasn't a high pick and starting guard, we probably wouldn't have heard a peep about any of this.
Oh, but we have heard a peep about this. Hmm... wonder why? Could it be because his agents were trying to push the story further?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #69
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Pretty sure Martin wouldn't make it in the Marines because the drill sargeant would hurt his sensitive feelings.He seems to be easily mentally conflicted and doesn't know how to handle these things.

You adapt to the culture in a way you decide is appropriate.He may just not be able to handle being in an NFL locker room because many current and former players have found most of what came out as normal for the most part other than Incognito being possibly the biggest ahole around.Though many of his teammates don't see him as being nearly as bad as he's being projected as.

I do feel sorry for the guy for having to put up with a guy as much as he had to that he truly didn't like.Different personalities.I think many of us have had to go through that in school,on a team or at a job.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #70
MVP

I've been around insufferable jerks similar to Incognito in the past and their constant trash talking and insults get very old very fast. I can't imagine what it would be like to be glued to the hip to one of these jackasses like Martin was day after day.

The hazing culture in the NFL is idiotic. Making it through this "rite of passage" is not what makes you a part of the team....your talent, training and ability to contribute on the field does. I know that both the 49ers and Seahawks have strong anti-hazing policies and those are two of the toughest and most physical teams in the league, so the idea that this is required to toughen players up is absurd. Its nothing more than an antiquated tradition that needs to go away.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #71
Banned

Steven78's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
Pretty sure Martin wouldn't make it in the Marines because the drill sargeant would hurt his sensitive feelings.He seems to be easily mentally conflicted and doesn't know how to handle these things.

You adapt to the culture in a way you decide is appropriate.He may just not be able to handle being in an NFL locker room because many current and former players have found most of what came out as normal for the most part other than Incognito being possibly the biggest ahole around.Though many of his teammates don't see him as being nearly as bad as he's being projected as.

I do feel sorry for the guy for having to put up with a guy as much as he had to that he truly didn't like.Different personalities.I think many of us have had to go through that in school,on a team or at a job.

Hazing is a zero tolerance crime in the military.

In the Marine Corps, hazing is a crime punishable by at least seven different articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, according to Marine Corps Order 1700.28, first issued in 1997 and regularly updated since then. The Marines define hazing as "any conduct whereby one military member ... causes another military member ... to suffer or be exposed to an activity which is cruel, abusive, humiliating, or oppressive."

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/5/50...-rookie-hazing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #72
MVP

gr18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
Hazing is a zero tolerance crime in the military.

In the Marine Corps, hazing is a crime punishable by at least seven different articles of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, according to Marine Corps Order 1700.28, first issued in 1997 and regularly updated since then. The Marines define hazing as "any conduct whereby one military member ... causes another military member ... to suffer or be exposed to an activity which is cruel, abusive, humiliating, or oppressive."

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/5/50...-rookie-hazing
Nothing you have there is disputable,not that things don't happen regardless but I was more so using it as a mental abuse aspect.Not that it's easy to take mental abuse but you have to have a strong mentality and wade through the b.s. and not dwell on words.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »