Home

Your thoughts on picking a new nfl team?

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on picking a new nfl team? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #41
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Your thoughts on picking a new nfl team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL253
This topic is a bit awkward for me, because I understand both sides of the argument.

I've been s Seahawks fan ever since I started watching football back in 2003 (I'm 22 years old), and I had to endure some pretty mediocre seasons (in addition to the dreadful 2007-2008 Seattle sports season). But, I stuck through it. Part of that was my overall love for the sport of football. I will never leave the Hawks.

However, I don't have the same passion about other sports. As soon as the Sonics left, I became highly disinterested in basketball. I was a Mariners fan for a while, but I stopped being a fan back in 2008 because the organization had shown that they care very little about winning. But now that the M's actually went out and signed a big name player, I might start watching again.

For some people, a little semblance of effort is all it takes to be a fan. I would suggest just watching general NFL games, and appreciate the nuance of the sport. Whatever you do, don't change teams; just wait until the Jets (both as a team, and an organization) start showing a little effort and progress...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
I still don't think your situations is the same. You didn't find a new team when the M's went down... that's the difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff8275
So after following the jets for 30+ years I just can't do it any longer. Makes me sick watching them. I thought Leon Hess was a terrible owner and turns out Woody Johnson is just as bad. So at 41 years old I find myself looking for a new NFL team to follow. Just curious if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what are people's thoughts about picking a new team after following one team for so long.
I've been in that situation before; I'll help you out and go ahead- don't wory about what other people may think. You could become a fan of all 32 teams or o your homework and start fresh like I did converting from Arizona Cardinals to Green Bay Packers.

- Clemson
- Michigan
- Michigan State (because of Anthony Ianni)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #43
Rookie

Guru03's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Honestly, do whatever you want.

It's professional sports; the owner isn't paying you to be a fan, the players could care less and you are the one paying for the merchandise.

At the end of the day, you're just cheering for laundry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we-L7w1K5Zo
That's an excellent point. I treat my fan loyalties as changeable and I see it as this: Us fans are the customers, the team is the store, if we don't like their product- shop at another store (switch favorite teams) (my philosophy of consumerism fanbase)

- Clemson
- Michigan
- Michigan State (because of Anthony Ianni)

Last edited by Guru03; 12-17-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

Root for you who you want. It really is that simple. But the guys who change teams, whether they realize it or not, are missing out on a huge part of being a sports fan: To truly appreciate the highs, you have to experience the lows.

As a Niners fan, I've been fortunate enough to witness five Super Bowl victories. But man, that win over the Saints two years ago was just about as magical as any of them (emphasis on "just about"). After 10 years of Erickson/Nolan/Singletary ineptness, winning a playoff game, in that fashion, was just exhilarating. There's no way, none, that a casual fan felt the same sense of euphoria I did when Vernon caught that TD pass.

The Braves winning the 1995 World Series was awesome, but I still think I'd take the 1991 division title over it from a fan standpoint. Part of that was being in Fulton County Stadium when they clinched. But, again, after 10 years of being the worst team in baseball only to put it all together that one magical summer, culminating with one against the Astros to finish off the Dodgers ... pure bliss. A fan who jumped aboard in July doesn't get that same rush.

The last five years have been pure misery as a Vols fan. It's no fun getting routinely stomped by your rivals. But someday, when we manage to turn the Tide and finally beat Alabama, and we will ... I think, that day is going to feel like Heaven.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #45

Marino's Arena

OVR: 55

After this season of Dolphins football has shown me, it is best to stick with your team. Ride it out. It gets better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #46
Commitment to Excellence

Howie75's Arena

OVR: 13

Obviously as a Raider fan I have been suffering for the last 10 years. But I am a diehard. That's it. I am unable to change loyalties or even consider it.

I would offer that if the Jets are truly your passion then you stick with it no matter what (unless you get betrayed like Oiler fans or Colt fans from Baltimore).

It sucks that I have to basically live in the past, but it is a storied past at least. And things have to get better! or so I tell myself.

Anyway, suck it up and watch DVDs of Namath if you have to in order to get you by. At least the Jets went back to their old uni style (away from the 80s models).
Old 12-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #47
MVP

XXstormmXX's Arena

OVR: 10

Come to the dark side and be a Pats fan. Even if in the future the Pats aren't good, you can be happy that your team's QB is the greatest of all time and you have three super bowls to look back on.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #48
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXstormmXX
Come to the dark side and be a Pats fan. Even if in the future the Pats aren't good, you can be happy that your team's QB is the greatest of all time and you have three super bowls to look back on.
Those are the fans I DON'T like. If you weren't a fan when they won the super bowls then you don't have any super bowls to look back on (imo).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »