Home

Week 17: Ravens (8-7) @ Bengals (10-5)

This is a discussion on Week 17: Ravens (8-7) @ Bengals (10-5) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Week 17: Ravens (8-7) @ Bengals (10-5)

Bengals are deserving of the Division title over sad sack teams like the Ravens and Steelers
Old 12-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
SD/LA Chargers?

TheBrothers24's Arena

OVR: 17

Thanks Cincy

From where the wild things are!
Old 12-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
All Star

p2xgamers's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire
Dalton wouldn't exude confidence for me if I was a Bengals fan going into the playoffs.
Yeah, he's had 20 INT's this year and played pretty poorly against division teams this year along with the fact that he hasn't had a good game in the playoffs - but we have Gio and a great defense at least.

My Blog
Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2xgamers
Yeah, he's had 20 INT's this year and played pretty poorly against division teams this year along with the fact that he hasn't had a good game in the playoffs - but we have Gio and a great defense at least.
Everything else is in place for Cincy to make a run. That D line is a force, and there are playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Dalton remains the big ?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Supporter

SlimKibbles's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwire
Everything else is in place for Cincy to make a run. That D line is a force, and there are playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Dalton remains the big ?
I hate to take delight in the fact that the Chargers won but I do. I did NOT want to watch the Bengals play your Steelers next week. I know the Bengals have won some games against them the last few years but the Steelers have been in the heads of everyone in that organization, and the fanbase for that matter, since 2005. That game a couple of weeks ago was further proof of that. The Bengals would have lost a WC match with them at home. I wish I was an optimist about it but I can't be. At least with the Chargers they have a great opportunity to win a game despite Dalton never performing well when the entire nation is watching the Bengals on tv. I don't feel very strongly that he can lead this team to a Super Bowl. He's had some great games this season but way too many bad ones. They need someone who won't make so many mistakes to go along with the great running game and defense that they have.
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NHL: Calgary Flames

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"The wisest men follow their own direction." - Euripides

Last edited by SlimKibbles; 12-29-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #22
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

Crazy that we have lost our 2 best defensive players as well in Atkins (arguably the best DT in the NFL) and Leon Hall. Just shows how good of a job Mike Zimmer has done as a DC.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I don't know why it feels like BAL doesn't deserve a playoff spot, even if all teams end up equal. It's not about the record. It just seems like they've coasted this year. In the end, it's just a personal feeling. I'm sure you haven't given a second thought to the Buffalo Bills after we intercepted Flacco 5 times.

I'd love to see the Chargers get the final spot, to be honest with you.

I, too, agree that Baltimore isn't going past the wild card weekend if they qualify. Typically, I love me a good underdog but they don't strike me as being able to make noise. San Diego, though? Definitely. Miami to a degree. Not getting a feeling with PIT or BAL.

Marvin Lewis has been there a long time. Say what you will, but he turned that franchise around from day one. Will he ever get over the hump with that team? I don't think so. And just making the playoffs gets tiresome. But man, Cincy was just ugly for a good while there. Thank goodness for the Browns, I suppose. I'd love to see the Bengals go all the way.
I know the game is already over but good discussion, so continuing it. I think you may feel my bias to the team had me feeling a bit more strongly about them than I did. When I said didn't deserve it more than the others, I didn't mean the Ravens were better... instead I felt (still feel) that all of the players had serious flaws and the one left standing would be more the lucky one than the most deserving. I actually think that played out yesterday too. The Ravens pretty much played as you described. The injuries made things that much more difficult, but the oline was horrible and the D couldn't step up when the momentum shifted... that's been pretty constant all year. Injuries or other issues with Flacco and Rice get the blame, but I think it's more that those two have masked other issues in the games they've done well (more Flacco than Rice). Their line has been a joke all year. The D got better as the year went on, and definitely helped win more than lose. But they didn't have that extra gear when necessary... I guess that's where we can really point to being hurt by losing Lewis and Reed.

No offense to your Bills (sorry for the unintentional shot earlier, lol) but the Dolphins should've wrapped all of this up and they didn't even put up a fight. They didn't deserve it and have been just as uninspired as the Ravens you described going into the end of the season. The Chargers have been up and down all year, and though they won, it took overtime to beat KC's "B" team. Honestly, the only team in the group that were playing like they could put up a fight in the post season was the Steelers, and they would've gone in at 8-8 so all of these teams were fighting for the little trophy.

As for Mavin Lewis, I didn't mean to imply anything negative about him at all. I loved him as our D Coordinator and as the Skins D Coordinator. Want nothing but the best from that guy, and he's doing an incredible job. I was just saying that the Bengals have been tough against the Ravens O since he's been there. I think he knows enough about the Ravens to use against them, and with the help of Zimmer and some great drafts, that D just isn't fun for the Ravens to face no matter how good the team is overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
Crazy that we have lost our 2 best defensive players as well in Atkins (arguably the best DT in the NFL) and Leon Hall. Just shows how good of a job Mike Zimmer has done as a DC.
Yeah the combination of Lewis and Zimmer are perfect for a team in this division. I personally still don't think they are good enough to go all the way yet. There's a good chance that would be different if Atkins and Hall were healthy, though.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Whart, I'm more of a both and when it comes to the faults of the Ravens. I know the OL went to hell and never came back because of Castillo. Yet there are some things Flacco and the WR's just has to do a better job at. First and Joe is notorious for it. He just ignores the blitz coming from DB's off the edge and this year he got ate up by it. In the past he's done a great job of making teams pay when they blitz, but he still didn't do a good job of recognizing it. This year he neither recognized it, nor could he beat it.

Second, Flacco has got to be a bit more patient in the pocket WHEN he actually has time. Yesterday he really made me mad forcing the pass to Pitta in the endzone when he was blanketed. But Pierce was running underneath and crossing with Brown. The DB followed Brown and Pierce was open in stride for the TD. Yet we had to settle for a FG because he forced it to Pitta WHEN HE HAD TIME. Same thing happened in the Lions game. He scrambled out to his right and settled for a throw that would not pick up the first down. Pitta was behind the entire defense on the right side line waving his hands. While he scrambled, he had time. He just does not see his receivers at times.

On the interception down the field where he had Jones going on the post but the Bengals brought the blitz. First he didn't recognize the blitz. Second, he had Pitta wide open on the Bench Route to the side line for a first down.

Flacco needs a running game to simplify his reads and that's just the bottom line. Anyway, can't wait until the draft. I'm sure the OL will get fixed. I hope Castillo is on the outs. How can one man take what was working for a long time in the Ravens history and co-opt it to hell. We've always been able to run the football. ALWAYS.

Make no mistake about it, this last game has turned the offseason shift primarily to offense. There is no way in hell your defense gets you 4 INT's and you lose the damn game like that. Absolutely pathetic. And it is mostly on Castillo and the players on offense bottom line. I'm not ready to say Caldwell just yet. He's called some good pass plays, Joe has missed a lot of open WR's.

So in the draft I'm thinking we go with a RT a WR, a TE for sure. We really need a FS and another ILB. Elam was playing out of position all year and he needs to be a box player. He was late helping CB's yesterday and he gave up the TD to Green when in that coverage you cannot let that guy just run by you. Elam is going to be great for us though. He just needs to be in the proper position and that is SS, not FS. We need a true center fielder at FS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »