Home

nfl alternate 8 bit helmets

This is a discussion on nfl alternate 8 bit helmets within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 24
Re: nfl alternate 8 bit helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagskerfan
I couldn't get the picture to show up on here, but here is a link to something I think would be cool for the NFL to use for one week some time.

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/59046-8-b...n-nfl-helmets/
#toomuchtimeonmyhands
Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #10
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistandilius
I feel like some people who replied in this thread don't appreciate what 8 bit art means, (and probably never had to play 8 bit games.)
And you would be wrong. There's a good way to do 8-bit art (Fez, Sword and Sworcery) and there's a bad way (all of these helmets).

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-19-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
I feel like some people who replied in this thread don't appreciate what 8 bit art means, (and probably never had to play 8 bit games.)
LOL if you think no one ever played NES on this site. These just suck, plain and simple.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
And you would be wrong. There's a good way to do 8-bit art (Fez, Sword and Sworcery) and there's a bad way (all of these helmets).
Like I said. I don't think you even understand the concept of 8-bit. Swords and Sorcery are 8-bit over a much larger canvas. No comparison. Yeah, Mario could have been super detailed (like the dream sequence in Mario 2), but he had to be small enough to fit the backgrounds in the worlds.

You clearly didn't read the part where he said he used a template. The template dictated the size he was able to use.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

These would look a lot better in real life, where the size could be controlled better and the pixels smaller relative to the helmet than what is shown in these. These examples are simply too small and hence don't achieve the cleverness you often see with pixelated art when it strikes the balance between pixelation and familiarity with the real world thing it is representing.

Does the concept of pixelated/8bit art demand a ratio of pixel size to canvas?

As for the NFL, they'd never do this because most people wouldn't have a clue what it was all about. The NFL hardly seems the vessel for artistic takes on their brands.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #14
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Like I said. I don't think you even understand the concept of 8-bit. Swords and Sorcery are 8-bit over a much larger canvas. No comparison. Yeah, Mario could have been super detailed (like the dream sequence in Mario 2), but he had to be small enough to fit the backgrounds in the worlds.

You clearly didn't read the part where he said he used a template. The template dictated the size he was able to use.
There is no need to "understand" anything in this case, it's just a bunch of awful-looking, pixelated blotches.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 02-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #15

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
These would look a lot better in real life, where the size could be controlled better and the pixels smaller relative to the helmet than what is shown in these. These examples are simply too small and hence don't achieve the cleverness you often see with pixelated art when it strikes the balance between pixelation and familiarity with the real world thing it is representing.

Does the concept of pixelated/8bit art demand a ratio of pixel size to canvas?

As for the NFL, they'd never do this because most people wouldn't have a clue what it was all about. The NFL hardly seems the vessel for artistic takes on their brands.
That's a funny statement to make. Most people wouldn't have a clue? That's just ignorant.

None of this rationalization you're doing makes up for the fact that this artwork is terrible. Blame "the template" all you want. You know what you do to fix that? Don't use a ****ty ****ing template.

It still sucks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
That's a funny statement to make. Most people wouldn't have a clue? That's just ignorant.

None of this rationalization you're doing makes up for the fact that this artwork is terrible. Blame "the template" all you want. You know what you do to fix that? Don't use a ****ty ****ing template.

It still sucks.
That's right. This is a football site. You have to use locker room mentality! Go get'm guys. When someone puts hard work into something and tries to be creative you don't encourage them! You tell them that's sissy **** and beat them up!

I don't really care if you guys don't get it. I don't think they're amazing, but they're certainly good for what he was trying to accomplish. If telling him they look like **** makes you feel like a man, go for it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »