Home

Free Agency Predicitons

This is a discussion on Free Agency Predicitons within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
MVP

Ice_Cold345's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Free Agency Predicitons

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
Honestly while I'm NOT a Texans fan.. they should just draft Clowney and let him and Watt wreck havock on the QB's in their division. Sign Michael Vick, let him be a serviceable QB.. trade up or draft AJ McCarren at the top of the 2nd round if he's still there.. and if not you still have next year to try and get a long term solution at QB. Teddy and Johnny Football arent better QB's than Clowney is a DE.
I just don't like the fit with Clowney in the 3-4, because he's too slim / not strong enough to play DE in the 3-4 and very rarely, if at all, drop into coverage to play a 3-4 OLB. (Watt is 6' 5" 290lbs, and Clowney is 6' 6" 250lbs) I see Clowney as a taller Dwight Freeney, who was very quick off the edge(4.48: 40 yard dash in 2002.) Freeney moved from 4-3 to 3-4 and he dropped off the face of the Earth. Clowney is the purest form of a 4-3 DE, it's quite amazing.

Michael Vick is passed his prime as a starting QB, as he can't stay healthy, and when he is on the field, he turns the ball over a lot. While I like AJ coming out, giving up on him after one year after basically being a first round pick would just be beyond dumb, they wouldn't draft a QB the following year after getting AJ at the top of the 2nd.

While Manziel / Bridgewater aren't as an elite prospect as Clowney is, a QB is such an important piece, especially the Texans, where they have a bunch of talent, just not at the QB position. While I don't think any QB in this class is an elite of prospect that Stafford / Luck were coming out of college, they have a projection to be a Top 10 ~ Top 12 QB and combine that with what they have on that team, that could be deadly.

I think they should think about trading down a couple of picks and maybe pick up either of the Tackles or Mack / Barr to play OLB for them. Mack would be awesome for them, as he's an outstanding pass rusher.
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers
NASCAR: Ryan Newman

One day, Purdue Men's Basketball and Football will become relevant again.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Free Agency Predicitons

I'm really not sure where I stand with Demarcus Ware and rumors of him being released in Dallas.

I think the fit to the 4-3 should have been much smoother. Sure, Ware played traditionally in a 3-4 all his career, but he has the physical makeup to have succeeded in the DE 4-3. His size, speed, strength mirrors, if not exceeds, that of of Simeon Rice in the same defense and scheme.

Lack of talent around him hurt is overall productivity, but he was also responsible for a lot of that lack of productivity. On far too many plays, I saw him over-shoot and basically run himself out of making a play on the QB. Or in the run game, he would set the edge too far outside leaving the RB with a huge cutback lane. That is either bad coaching or Ware simply not following assignments. That makes no sense, to me; Marinelli is a proven DL coach while Ware is a proven professional, those misconnections should not have been issues.

So now what? Is Ware on a steep decline? Did he give up on the team last year? Is he leveraging his lack of desire to restructure his contract to get out of Dallas? If he goes elsewhere does he return to form and make Dallas look foolish? Does he stay and continue to decline and make Dallas look foolish?

The Cowboys should not be in a retooling mode, they should be rebuilding for the long haul. They could definitely use the cap space to reinvest into making the team younger and add depth, but can they afford to let a HOF calibre & game-changing player walk?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »