Home

New CBA is so unfair to new running backs

This is a discussion on New CBA is so unfair to new running backs within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: New CBA is so unfair to new running backs

They aren't going to shorten the contracts as teams want to ensure that they keep the players they draft. The best you would see is performance bonuses, but that would be hard to do because of the salary cap. Maybe they give bonuses out but don't count them against the cap during the rookie contract.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
They aren't going to shorten the contracts as teams want to ensure that they keep the players they draft. The best you would see is performance bonuses, but that would be hard to do because of the salary cap. Maybe they give bonuses out but don't count them against the cap during the rookie contract.
Or they could create like a performance bonus cap pool. Say you have a salary cap..and then X millions in performance bonus money but its a pool you have and its on you to figure out as an owner how to distrubute that across your players contracts you want to do that with.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

IMO, it's going to take the running back position evolving into something that looks more like Percy Harvin and less like Adrian Peterson before we see players at that position frequently cashing in again.

A few exceptions notwithstanding, traditional running backs are at this point almost interchangeable with one another.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
Or they could create like a performance bonus cap pool. Say you have a salary cap..and then X millions in performance bonus money but its a pool you have and its on you to figure out as an owner how to distrubute that across your players contracts you want to do that with.

They already have a pool for rfor players who play more than expected for the basic salary, rookies can pick up a lot of extra cash if they excel. I just read an article about this and I thought thats a great idea. If Chris Conte is getting extra cash you can be sure Lacy got some LOL.
Vontaze burflict received a big payout last year. The Bears pool was split like this

Jordan Mills $318,243.96
Chris Conte $210,957.33
Isaiah Frey ($179,411.35)
Zack Bowman ($162,273.50)
Jon Bostic ($143,309.22)
Matt Slauson ($134,485.76)
Dante Rosario ($126,156.48)
Alshon Jeffrey($121,902.68)
David Bass ($111,228.98).
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #13
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Lacy got like $120k if I remember correctly. The catch about performance based pay is it is delayed 2-3 years. People who earn it last season won't get it until something like 2016.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #14
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
The new CBA is "unfair" to pretty much anyone who isn't a quarterback.

Really it's first round picks if their is anyone cashing in on the cba. Russell Wilson isn't making a million a year in base salary either. The veteran players in the NFLPA,kinda screwed over the rookies.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Screwed over the Jamarcus Russels of the world. Those worth paying more than a couple years will benefit.

Players like Wilson are benefiting now too, or does everyone think they could have made the run they did without the rookie wage scale?

Last edited by mestevo; 04-06-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #16
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Screwed over the Jamarcus Russels of the world. Those worth paying more than a couple years will benefit.

Players like Wilson are benefiting now too, or does everyone think they could have made the run they did without the rookie wage scale?

The Raiders had game film, pro days, they interviewed Jamarcus, gave him the wonderlic, etc. If they still chose to draft him high and pay him like a contributor that's on them. Simple as that, when guys like Jarmarcus Russell don't pan out, they get cut and they get nothing after that. These players almost never get the contract amount announced to fans.

I don't why that should affect contract length either. Why should guys like Lacy and Wilson be tied in to 4 year deals getting paid a 10th what any team would give them in an open market? It's not their responsibility to help the Hawks and Packers distribute the money and build a super bowl roster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »