Home

Trademark protection for Washington Redskins team name cancelled

This is a discussion on Trademark protection for Washington Redskins team name cancelled within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #73
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Trademark protection for Washington Redskins team name cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Not that she didn't get it changed back in '73 when she was 15 but the fact that it's now 2014 and it's STILL the name of the school. Presumably if the name Redskin name was as bad as she seems to be making it, an effort would be made to go back and get that changed considering the personal connection the school should have to her.
If you say so I guess. Refer to my second post in this thread.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #74
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

This reminds me of the North Dakota Fighting Sioux, who ended up dropping their nickname and officially going without one. If I remember right, their Indian head logo was created by a member of a Sioux nation and that nation gave the school their blessing to use their name. One band wanted a bigger slice of the pie and forced the issue, and now it's just North Dakota.

What the team should do is get a few nations together, have a meeting and create an identity that satisfies all parties. Maybe they could go back to the awesome spear logo and be called the Maroons or Warriors or whatever. Maybe they forget the whole Native American thing and go with something like the Federals or Monuments. Whatever it is, make sure its the right path because the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, and Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, amoung others, are next.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #75
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

#1 - I don't care just change it so people will STFU

#2 - Leave the Fightin' Irish out of this!

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #76
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
This reminds me of the North Dakota Fighting Sioux, who ended up dropping their nickname and officially going without one. If I remember right, their Indian head logo was created by a member of a Sioux nation and that nation gave the school their blessing to use their name. One band wanted a bigger slice of the pie and forced the issue, and now it's just North Dakota.

What the team should do is get a few nations together, have a meeting and create an identity that satisfies all parties. Maybe they could go back to the awesome spear logo and be called the Maroons or Warriors or whatever. Maybe they forget the whole Native American thing and go with something like the Federals or Monuments. Whatever it is, make sure its the right path because the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, and Notre Dame Fightin' Irish, amoung others, are next.
This was my proposal. Allow the tribes to vote on it. If they see it as a big enough issue, they can change it. If not, it's settled. But I'm probably naive to the steps that would have to happen for that to work.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
#1 - I don't care just change it so people will STFU
Change the name of a team name that has been around since the 1930s just so people will STFU? Really?

I know there was talk about the Illinois Fighting Illini changing their nickname, but as a compromise it was agreed to retire the mascot Chief Illiniwek and keep the name. I'm not sure these names were intended to be offensive when they were created, but rather a way to honor these tribes. But I guess it comes down to personal opinion.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #78
Banned

OVR: 24

free image upload
Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM   #79
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simgamer0005
Change the name of a team name that has been around since the 1930s just so people will STFU? Really?

I know there was talk about the Illinois Fighting Illini changing their nickname, but as a compromise it was agreed to retire the mascot Chief Illiniwek and keep the name. I'm not sure these names were intended to be offensive when they were created, but rather a way to honor these tribes. But I guess it comes down to personal opinion.
Other sports teams saw fit to change names they deemed unacceptable. Lo and behold, they survived. Your Illinois example only speaks to that. Why is it that radical of a concept because it's the Redskins?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 PM   #80

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoi23
Other sports teams saw fit to change names they deemed unacceptable. Lo and behold, they survived. Your Illinois example only speaks to that. Why is it that radical of a concept because it's the Redskins?
But Illinois didn't change their name and fought extremely hard to keep it.

All the controversy that came with that case isn't much different than what's going on with the Redskins.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »