Home

Trademark protection for Washington Redskins team name cancelled

This is a discussion on Trademark protection for Washington Redskins team name cancelled within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #33
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Trademark protection for Washington Redskins team name cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I think that there are some very prominent, powerful people who have spoken about this team name incessantly that should probably be focused on other things. But they haven't because it's a cause célèbre.
So speaking in one thing means you aren't focused on other things as well? To me that isn't a rational line of thinking. In that case the same line of logic could be applied to Snyder, ie wasting time on defending the name instead of worrying about building a winning team.

PSN: dsavbeast
Old 06-18-2014, 03:45 PM   #34
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

I have a question for any Clevelanders or fans of the Indians but how did that situation get sorted out? I know they fazed out Chief Wahoo from their logo and team identity. I feel like if Snyder wants to keep the name than he should meet up with some of these Native American leaders and have an open and frank discussion about it. I feel like a settlement of some kind could be reached while keeping the name with a new logo. I mean, Snyder could be magnanimous and have some kind of fund for Native American causes as part of a settlement.

"shrug"

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #35
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
So speaking in one thing means you aren't focused on other things as well? To me that isn't a rational line of thinking. In that case the same line of logic could be applied to Snyder, ie wasting time on defending the name instead of worrying about building a winning team.
It means that this shouldn't even be on the radar compared to all the other **** to worry about. But it is because of the power play.

Snyder doesn't have to meet with Native Americans. They're not the main group of people "offended" by the name. He should meet with Bill Simmons, Buster Olney, Christine Brennan and the host of other elitists and cultural thought leaders that are the arbiters of what's okay now. Of course, they'll never be happy. I'm surprised the offended class isn't trying to force Snyder out of ownership entirely.

Last edited by TheMatrix31; 06-18-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #36
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

All I know is if you make them change their name, then where does it stop at? Because you're not just going to/can't make an example of them and not go after any other team with "Offensive" names, right?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #37
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
As a fan I don't really see the point in defending the name. It doesn't offend me, but I can't really come up with a coherent or logical support basis to uphold the name other than "well, because its been that way for 80 years." It seems like all the fans that defend the name change always come down to the same 3 arguments:

1) Well, they knew some Natives at the time of the naming so its OK.
2) There are bigger issues to worry about (never offering any other issues)
3) PC Crowd is too PC

Sometimes you'll get the bonus "history" of the term or those fans that somehow feel culturally connected to a historically repressed and victimized group of people.

Personally, I don't really care what happens with the name. Their tradition of under performance will live on no matter what.
This is basically how I feel about it. I think the hand-wringing on both sides has been somewhat humorous. Meanwhile, actual Native-Americans are largely being shut out of the conversation - though the NBA Finals ad may be a signal that that's changing.

I've yet to hear a cohesive argument against changing it besides "slippery slope" and "PC police." Those are kind of weak IMO and tangential to the issue at hand.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #38
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

So what about the actual "Native Americans" that don't have an issue with the name? Or does what they say not count/matter?

Seems to me that neither side can really make a strong argument so that should tell you something right there.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
All I know is if you make them change their name, then where does it stop at? Because you're not just going to/can't make an example of them and not go after any other team with "Offensive" names, right?
What other teams have offensive names?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #40
MVP

BigBoi23's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
So what about the actual "Native Americans" that don't have an issue with the name? Or does what they say not count/matter?

Seems to me that neither side can really make a strong argument so that should tell you something right there.
What, in your mind, are the cons to changing the name? How about the cons of keeping it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilla56
What other teams have offensive names?
The usual suspects that I've heard - Fighting Irish, Blackhawks, Indians.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »