Home

Best NFL receiving corps

This is a discussion on Best NFL receiving corps within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Best NFL receiving corps
49ers (Crabtree, Boldin, Vernon Davis, Stevie Johnson) 6 7.06%
Saints (Colston, Graham, Stills, Cooks) 1 1.18%
Lions (Calvin Johnson, Tate, Ebron, Pettigrew) 3 3.53%
Bears (Marshall, Jeffries, Morgan, Bennett) 24 28.24%
Broncos (Demariyus Thomas, Welker, Julian Thomas, Sanders) 28 32.94%
Cowboys (Bryant, Terrence Williams, Witten, Beasley) 6 7.06%
Colts (Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Fleener) 5 5.88%
Other 12 14.12%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #41
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Best NFL receiving corps

I understand why people are questioning San Fran (even though only four or us picked them so it's not like they are a surprise leader on the poll, they also definitely aren't the worst on the list either), but I stand by my pick.

They operate in a run heavy offense and have had Alex Smith (limited ability) and Kap (limited field smarts/football IQ) throwing them the ball. You can't just compare their production to Denver or even Chicago and say "wow not even close."

Stevie Johnson is going to be very dangerous in his new role as a third option, Boldin catches everything and is a great #2, Davis, when on, is extremely dangerous, and Crabtree is underrated IMO. I think he has top 10 ability.

Personally I don't think there is fact here, just everyone's opinion, no way to really know for sure. I don't question anyone else's pick, I think it's an interesting decision to make.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #42
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wise_One
I'd consider Crabtree a game changer. When he's healthy, the dude can make plays (unless Sherms on him that is). Bolden is going to start wearing down but can still be a good possession receiver. Stevie Johnson is a quality receiver as well, especially for a 4th option. Now if they only had someone to make consistent reads and throws....
I just don't get Crabtree as a game changer. He doesn't stretch the field, he's not particularly great after the catch. He's got great hands, and attacks the ball well, but he has to since he doesn't get a ton of seperation. Teams don't have to gameplan around him. He's a nice player, but he doesn't scare anyone.

Stevie Johnson is just a guy. Let's face it, there's a reason he's not on a talent desperate roster like Buffalo. Boldin is Boldin, he's a possesion guy, but now he's less of a threat after the catch.

It's a quality group, but top of the league type group? Just don't see it.

Last edited by bkrich83; 07-27-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:35 AM   #43
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
Why would a team with the best WR corps in the league throw the ball less than anyone else in the league? That doesn't seem like an efficient use of resources.

Would you take Boldin or Crabtree over Demariyus Thomas? Decker was probably fungible and that's why they let him walk (he was replaced by a similar talent in Emmanuel Sanders), but Welker is as sure handed as they come and an elite route runner.
Why wouldn't they throw more? A few reasons, namely their coach doesn't want to and their QB isn't ready to take games over by himself.

Why didn't G-Tech throw the ball more when they had Calvin Johnson? Same argument applies, right? It's just not their offense

Like said, the injuries, and it's just their offense. Didn't Lynn Swann say something like "I would have been here a long time ago if we had just thrown the ball more" or something like that in his HOF speech?

Also, like I already said, your QB is a big factor in dictating the offense. If Manning is throwing the ball to thts group he doesn't miss a beat:

DT is better than Crab
Boldin is better than Sanders
Personally I'd take Stevie over Welker right now, and I think Stevie is really going to excel this year
Vernon is better than JT

Even if I give you Welker over Stevie, it's still 2-2.

Anyway. I definitely can't see them being the worst on the list, not sure why you aren't questioning people who picked the Saints, Lions (one legit player?) or Colts over Denver. I think that's less justifiable. Again, of course, just my friendly opinion. I know with sports we all think we know best. I just go with what my eyes tell me, I don't look at stats as much as I look at game film. Even Chicago only has two really good players, the other two are replaceable.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

Last edited by The JareBear; 07-27-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM   #44
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I just don't get Crabtree as a game changer. He doesn't stretch the field, he's not particularly great after the catch. He's got great hands, and attacks the ball well, but he has to since he doesn't get a ton of seperation. Teams don't have to gameplan around him. He's a nice player, but he doesn't scare anyone.

Stevie Johnson is just a guy. Let's face it, there's a reason he's not on a talent desperate roster like Buffalo. Boldin is Boldin, he's a possesion guy, but now he's less of a threat after the catch.

It's a quality group, but top of the league type group? Just don't see it.

I agree with what you're saying. 49er receivers look great on paper because of the name recognition. Also each has been the featured receiver at one point or another. Boldin was the guy at Baltimore, Stevie was the only threat at Buffalo and Crabtree/Davis have switched back and forth as the main target for SF due to injuries.

Like you said, no way Stevie puts up numbers like he did in Buffalo. However, on paper, the group looks pretty scary. SF definitely has the talent but chemistry will determine success in the passing game.

As for Crabtree. He doesn't really get those 60 yard receptions that open up a secondary. But he does catch those 3 and 8 passes in the fourth quarter that really piss me off.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:37 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 2

49ers aren't even in my top 10....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
For me it's between Denver and 49ers. If I had to pick one I would take 49ers.
Trying to figure out any love for the 49ers group. Boldin is a possession receiver who's well on his downside and Crabtree can't compare to the top tier guys including a young Alshon Jeffries. Davis caught a ton of TD passes last year but his receptions have been low. No way, no how Frisco.

Don't know why the Packers aren't up there with Nelson, Cobb and the real deal Boykin. It's close but I have to go with Denver. Decker leaves and is replaced by a better receiver in E.Sanders.

As far as a one two punch it's definitely Marshall-Jeffries.

Last edited by JayBee74; 08-01-2014 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #47
Why Not Us?

The_Wise_One's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Trying to figure out any love for the 49ers group. Boldin is a possession receiver who's well on his downside and Crabtree can't compare to the top tier guys including a young Alshon Jeffries. Davis caught a ton of TD passes last year but his receptions have been low. No way, no how Frisco.

Don't know why the Packers aren't up there with Nelson, Cobb and the real deal Boykin. It's close but I have to go with Denver. Decker leaves and is replaced by a better receiver in E.Sanders.

As far as a one two punch it's definitely Marshall-Jeffries.
Probably splitting hairs here but look at who's throwing those guys the ball. Elite quarterbacks can make 5th string receivers look elite too. Nelson is the real deal and Cobb is good when healthy sure, but no way is Boykin on the same level as Stevie, Crabtree, Boldin, or Davis right now. Niners are full of proven receivers. Stick those players on a team with Rogers/Brees/Manning/Brady and it's easy money.

Last edited by The_Wise_One; 08-01-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Wise_One
Probably splitting hairs here but look at who's throwing those guys the ball. Elite quarterbacks can make 5th string receivers look elite too. Nelson is the real deal and Cobb is good when healthy sure, but no way is Boykin on the same level as Stevie, Crabtree, Boldin, or Davis right now. Niners are full of proven receivers. Stick those players on a team with Rogers/Brees/Manning/Brady* and it's easy money.
And "Stevie's" durability rating is what??? And "Crab" played a lot of games last year? It's nice to steer an argument in any direction, even one that veers off the map, but where did I say that Boykin was better than anybody? I threw him in there with Cobb and Nelson as a package, but considered some of the great games Boykin had with a Scott Tolzien* and a Matt Flynn* throwing to him. I think the kid is going to have a fine year as the #3 in Green Bay.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »