Home

Week 1 : Minnesota Vikings (0-0) @ St. Louis Rams (0-0)

This is a discussion on Week 1 : Minnesota Vikings (0-0) @ St. Louis Rams (0-0) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7
Week 1 : Minnesota Vikings (0-0) @ St. Louis Rams (0-0)

For some reason Teddy is on the bench so we can see Matt Cassel throw 3 yard slants.

Vikes offensive line has their work cut out for them. For my money the Rams have the best stable of pass rushers in the league. Here's hoping Gregg Williams sends a bunch of unnecessary exotic blitzes and Patterson can turn one of those slants up the field.

If AP can get to the LBs, there's some yards to be gained. Football Outsiders had the Rams' 2013 2nd level ranked 18th in 2nd level yards and 20th in open field rank and they didn't do much to change personnel this year.

I'm not really good at deciphering this data so if I'm reading this wrong, let me know:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl2013

On the other side of the ball, I like the Vikings chances. Rams are starting their backup but I honestly don't even know if Shaun Hill is a material downgrade from Bradford. Zac Stacy is mostly a volume back and if they want to run him into the ground at 3.5 yards a carry, so be it. They have decent receivers but Schottenheimer isn't exactly known for his creative play design. It'll be interesting to see how the Vikings new personnel and scheme look against what should be a pretty weak opponent.

Cheers to the new year.

Any Rams fans around these parts?

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea

Last edited by dsallupinyaarea; 09-03-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
#AyJay

AdamJones113's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Week 1 : Minnesota Vikings (0-0) @ St. Louis Rams (0-0)

Always had a certain regard for the Rams—fondness would be much too strong a word—and I think they have the edge here (though I don't really pay attention to either of these teams). I think Tavon Austin will have a breakout year, and that's set up by "volume back" Zac Stacy.

However, AP and a good game easily tip the scales.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

With Bradford out, I think we have the edge. 23-17

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Shaun Hill in, Rams by 14.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet
Shaun Hill in, Rams by 14.
I agree with this. With Shaun Hill in, and the D showing up and VERY hungry this season, Rams by 14 as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #6
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Rams win a close one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #7
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
For some reason Teddy is on the bench so we can see Matt Cassel throw 3 yard slants.

Vikes offensive line has their work cut out for them. For my money the Rams have the best stable of pass rushers in the league. Here's hoping Gregg Williams sends a bunch of unnecessary exotic blitzes and Patterson can turn one of those slants up the field.

If AP can get to the LBs, there's some yards to be gained. Football Outsiders had the Rams' 2013 2nd level ranked 18th in 2nd level yards and 20th in open field rank and they didn't do much to change personnel this year.

I'm not really good at deciphering this data so if I'm reading this wrong, let me know:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl2013

On the other side of the ball, I like the Vikings chances. Rams are starting their backup but I honestly don't even know if Shaun Hill is a material downgrade from Bradford. Zac Stacy is mostly a volume back and if they want to run him into the ground at 3.5 yards a carry, so be it. They have decent receivers but Schottenheimer isn't exactly known for his creative play design. It'll be interesting to see how the Vikings new personnel and scheme look against what should be a pretty weak opponent.

Cheers to the new year.

Any Rams fans around these parts?

A pretty weak opponent? You're a Vikings fan, so I already know you know very little about what the Rams have this year, besides Sam Bradford being injured. You aren't far off in saying that Shaun Hill might not really be a material downgrade, but with the Ram's elite D and Shaun Hill at the helm, if this Rams team can stay fairly healthy this season, they WILL get to 9 or 10 wins when it's all said and done.

You vastly underrate the Rams, even with Shaun Hill as the starter. Look what Kellen Clemens did last year with that defense backing him up. You think Shaun Hill is worst or even close to being as bad as Clemens? I think not. The Rams defense will keep them in close games all season long. Like I said, 9 or 10 win season regardless of the Sam Bradford injury. They just need to stay healthy, as all teams do, to win.

We'll see what AP does do to this Rams defensive line. I look forward to it. Just hope Tavon Austin isn't used how he should be. He's also poised to have a good year this year, in my opinion. Kenny Britt and Brian Quick have both looked good as well. We'll see Sunday... anyone want to take bets on sacks for Robert Quinn? Can't wait.

By the way, I'm a life-long Saints fan, but I follow the Rams as closely as I do the Saints. They were tough division foes at one point, and still gave/give us problems it seems every time we play them. Much respect to the Rams. Plus, my favorite player in the league is Quinn. 24 years old and nothing but more upside for him. Actually watched him play during his short stint at UNC. That sack record will be his in due time.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-04-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Rookie

dsallupinyaarea's Arena

OVR: 7

Being a Vikings fan = knowing very little about the Rams? Learn something new everyday.

Outside of injuries, I can't think of a single set of circumstances that would allow the Rams to win 10 games in that division with Shaun Hill.

twitter - @dsallupinyaarea
psn - dsallupinyaarea8
xbox - dsallupinyoarea

Last edited by dsallupinyaarea; 09-04-2014 at 09:03 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »