Home

Week 2 TNF: Pittsburgh Steelers (1-0) @ Baltimore Ravens (0-1)

This is a discussion on Week 2 TNF: Pittsburgh Steelers (1-0) @ Baltimore Ravens (0-1) within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #113
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Week 2 TNF: Pittsburgh Steelers (1-0) @ Baltimore Ravens (0-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallupinyaarea
I have to agree with tripwire a bit. The zone-blitz scheme is starting to look like the Cover 2 did 5 years ago. A scheme that only works under perfect conditions. Just don't know if it's feasible to defend these new age WRs and TEs without pressing and if you're not going to press, I don't know if you can blitz without being totally picked apart.

Like anything, I'm sure the truth falls somewhere in the middle. Labeau's scheme is a bit dated and they have considerably defensive talent than in years past.
Wait until they play teams that spread them out. Close your eyes, because it's going to be ugly. Philly already showed you in the pre season, and Cleveland in week 1, as did many teams over the last couple of years. It's going to be another long season for that D.

We're supposed to give a pass to LeBeau for how long based on his past accolades?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:29 PM   #114
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I remember having a conversation about what I thought was the 2nd play you described here, but it ended in a FG so maybe there was another you didn't even mention. But I'm pretty sure it was inside the 10 yard line, toss to Brown (not Bell... bad play but why not at least give it to the RB at this spot on the field) and he got bottled up.
Actually now that you say that, I think you're right, I was just remembering it wrong. Very frustrating.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #115
Hall Of Fame

SteelersFreak's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold
I don't think the defense wasn't horrible. But we definitely need to figure out a way to get some pass rushers to Pitt next season.

The Ravens had 323 total yards and score two touchdowns. They held on a first-and-goal from the 1 and didn't relinquish a touchdown.

Justin Tucker kicked field goals from 30, 23, 22 and 20 yards with some of those drives starting with very good field position.

I think most of us knew this defense was going to be a work in progress. There was, at least, a little progress between the first and second games.

Cam Thomas has been terrible.
This feels much more like a culmination of problems from year's past than something that will shore itself up. The defensive linemen aren't going to be improving greatly as they are all either aging and past their prime or aren't really that great to begin with, or would be better off as back-ups (I'm looking at you, Steve McLendon). The linebackers are probably our best position but we're also starting a rookie in Shazier and have the most inexperienced linebacker group we've had in years. The secondary is basically in shambles in my opinion, no strong young players outside of MAYBE Shamarko Thomas, Cortez Allen is a good player when he's surrounded by a good defense, but when he's forced to man up on guys he tends to struggle. Ike Taylor is way over the hill, he's never been able to catch so he's not even able to pull down the occasional interception when he's not getting beat deep or committing penalties. Like I said, Polamalu misses more tackles than he makes these days and Mitchell is a solid player, but he's barely an improvement compared to Ryan Clark. William Gay is the one bright spot because the guy is probably one of the better nickel backs in the league, but when William Gay is your bright spot, you're having issues.
NHL: Dallas Stars
NCAA: Alabama Crimson Tide

University of North Texas '14
GO MEAN GREEN!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #116
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFreak
This feels much more like a culmination of problems from year's past than something that will shore itself up. The defensive linemen aren't going to be improving greatly as they are all either aging and past their prime or aren't really that great to begin with, or would be better off as back-ups (I'm looking at you, Steve McLendon). The linebackers are probably our best position but we're also starting a rookie in Shazier and have the most inexperienced linebacker group we've had in years. The secondary is basically in shambles in my opinion, no strong young players outside of MAYBE Shamarko Thomas, Cortez Allen is a good player when he's surrounded by a good defense, but when he's forced to man up on guys he tends to struggle. Ike Taylor is way over the hill, he's never been able to catch so he's not even able to pull down the occasional interception when he's not getting beat deep or committing penalties. Like I said, Polamalu misses more tackles than he makes these days and Mitchell is a solid player, but he's barely an improvement compared to Ryan Clark. William Gay is the one bright spot because the guy is probably one of the better nickel backs in the league, but when William Gay is your bright spot, you're having issues.
Yep. I could definetly see a few years of mediocrity before the team gets wind in its sails again. I love Coach Dad and all he has done for the Steelers, but the defense desperately needs new blood coaching wise. I didn't have too much of an issue with the offense as they did drive it and were a fumble away from taking the first drive down for a score.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »